The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
19 registered members (clarsen3100, 78buckshot, 03marauderman, C10 - C90 Bill, D B Cooper, 2 invisible), 358 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,498
Posts930,009
Members42,646
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Newbie question driveshaft #1320555 Mon Aug 05 2019 05:35 PM
R
rolf_gemini Offline OP
New Guy
Hello!

I'm a complete newbie to this and I'm trying to rebuild a 1954 GMC 100.
The chassis is frontaxle are done (powdercoated) including brakes. The engine (248) is being rebuild by a company.

From the start I had problems with the rear axle. I posted several questions on this forum about it. First of all it isn't the Original rear axle.
And it had a driveshaft with universal joints.
I had great difficulties removing the pinion shaft in the diff. First the bolt broke, than the pin wouldn't come out.
We tried everything. It drove me crazy. Last Friday I bought a different rear axle of a 1954 Chevy (first picture).
The pin came out. No problem at all.

Next problem...the rear axle came with a drive shaft (enclosed). This will not fit my transmission (second picture).
My old driveshaft fits over the transmission (like male, female connection). But this one doesn't fit (2 times male...).

I hope you can understand my problem. I find it quit difficult to discribe it in English...

Thanks for your input, really appriciate it.

Rolf
Eindhoven, the Netherlands

Attached Files
Driveshaft.jpg (130.91 KB, 220 downloads)
Transmission.jpg (215.32 KB, 218 downloads)
Re: Newbie question driveshaft [Re: rolf_gemini] #1320565 Mon Aug 05 2019 06:33 PM
J
jrhackett Offline
PA OUTLAW
I think most of 1954 chevys had a enclosed drive shaft called a torque tube as you #1 picture showes I think some of your problem is someone may have changed the tranny and rear axle assembly before you got the truck.!

Re: Newbie question driveshaft [Re: rolf_gemini] #1320586 Mon Aug 05 2019 08:39 PM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist
The 1/2 ton 1954 Chevrolet (and, GMC) trucks had enclosed driveshafts (torque-tube).

The larger 1954 CHevrolet trucks had completely open driveshafts (and, GMC's might have been the same?).

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 48 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 14 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Newbie question driveshaft [Re: rolf_gemini] #1320662 Tue Aug 06 2019 10:38 AM
R
rolf_gemini Offline OP
New Guy
Thank you for your replies!

I also think everything 'behind' the engine is swapped for something else.

But...maybe a silly question...is it possible to put the front cover (with pinion attached) of the "old" rear axle on the "new" one?

Thanks in advance!

Rolf

Re: Newbie question driveshaft [Re: rolf_gemini] #1320680 Tue Aug 06 2019 03:05 PM
3B Offline
Master Gabster
Hy rolf_gemini, differential center sections (pumpkins, third members) do not swap between cars and trucks in the fifties. I believe the rear axle you have in your truck is from a 1955 to 59 1/2 ton Chevrolet or possibly a GMC, those differential center sections will swap into the older torque tube rear axle housings but in order to use those housings with the open drive differential you must eliminate the swiveling feature of the torque tube housing. Hope that helps.

Re: Newbie question driveshaft [Re: rolf_gemini] #1320691 Tue Aug 06 2019 03:49 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
The rear axle shown in your picture cannot be adapted to work with the transmission you show. Also, it appears that the spring perches have been removed from the rear axle housing, and the torque tube is damaged. The internal gears in that torque tube axle will not interchange with the open driveline rear end you describe, which is probably a 1955-61 Chevrolet truck unit, based on your description above. Here's a trick I've used to get a broken pivot pin lock bolt out- - - -drill or grind a slot into the spider gear housing that will expose the end of the broken-off pin, and use a small pry bar or a punch to push the broken-off piece of the pin out. Then the pivot pin and spider gears can be removed for access to the axle retaining clips.

The transmission you show appears to be a fully-synchronized General Motors Saginaw 3 speed from the late 1960's or early 70's, which is a very good choice. Use it if at all possible. Good luck!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Newbie question driveshaft [Re: rolf_gemini] #1320899 Wed Aug 07 2019 05:57 PM
R
rolf_gemini Offline OP
New Guy
Thanks again!

The transmission is a Saginaw. Thanks for the heads up.
I have new spring perches.

I was thinking about this...what I'm trying is to swap out the parts of the attached photo. If it's possible than I can use the 'old' driveshaft and my 'new' rear axle.
I have meassured everything and it looks like it fits...

Thanks
Rolf

Attached Files
20190807_195152.jpg (320.04 KB, 142 downloads)
Re: Newbie question driveshaft [Re: rolf_gemini] #1320902 Wed Aug 07 2019 06:16 PM
R
rolf_gemini Offline OP
New Guy
I forgot...rear end gears, seals and bearings are on order

Re: Newbie question driveshaft [Re: rolf_gemini] #1320911 Wed Aug 07 2019 07:29 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
The center housing for the "open" rear end should bolt into the axle tube assembly for the torque tube. However, the "crown wheel and pinion" (ring gear on this side of the pond) are manufactured as a matched pair, and must be used as a set. The housings will be the only parts of the two rear ends you'll be able to re-use. The open driveline gears won't interchange with the torque tube items.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Newbie question driveshaft [Re: rolf_gemini] #1324357 Sun Sep 01 2019 04:47 AM
B
bowtietim Offline
Shop Shark
1955-1962 Chevrolet 1/2 ton truck 3rd member or pumpkin will fit the rearend housing.
The highest gearset you can use is the 3:90 ratio .

Tim

"A house is built with boards and beams,a home is built with love and dreams"

Look deep before you leep !!!

"Everything is Everything"

"If I say a mouse can pull a house,Hitch him up"

My 1951 3100 Chevrolet
My 1951 Chevrolet Suburban Carryall

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop