The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (Briann, 68ironhead, BigUglyv1, 593ETow, 3B, Alainfrenchie54), 214 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,911
Posts960,368
Members43,513
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
No fuel from tank
#1323777 Tue Aug 27 2019 10:15 PM
K
Kurt59 Offline OP
New Guy
I'm trying to start my '59, and I'm not getting any fuel from the tank. It hasn't been run since '91, so who knows what's in the tank. I put in a couple of gallons and if I take off the hose fitting under the cab, just a few drips of gas come out (probably residual in the line). I'm trying to understand how the tank is plumbed, and it looks like the pickup tube goes out the top of the tank and then down the back and through the floor.

Does the fuel system need to be primed to flow fuel? Is there a minimum amount of fuel needed in the tank to get it going? I tried to blow air through the fuel line from the line at the pump back to the tank, but it appears to be plugged. Is there a check valve in the system, or should I be able to blow out the line all the way into the tank (gas cap off)? How much pressure can I use to blow out the line (so far only used about 20psi)?

Any help in understanding the design would be appreciated. I'm thinking my next step is to pull the tank.

Re: No fuel from tank
Kurt59 #1323930 Thu Aug 29 2019 01:43 AM
Shop Shark
My guess is your fuel line is plugged! If you can't get air through it, why would fuel go through? Pull out your sending unit and check it. If it is plugged, unplug it of purchase new plumbing. If you don't, you will continually plug up filters, your lines or carb.

Kurt59 #1323976 Thu Aug 29 2019 12:15 PM
T
Wrench Fetcher
Mine did something very similar. It was a piece of trash in the bottom of the tank. I got it out by pulling the fuel line at the carb, put on a squeeze bulb ( like from a blood pressure cuff) and GENTLY applied pressure until I heard bubbles in the gas tank. I never saw it through the top of the tank but haven't had the problem return

Kurt59 #1324004 Thu Aug 29 2019 02:36 PM
T
Shop Shark
I would use air pressure and blow through the line into the tank. If that doesn't clear it up you might want to think about cleaning the tank. Anything in the tank now will just get picked up by the fresh gas and end up in your fuel filter, flushing the tank will loosen up all of that so you can get it out. If you go one step futher and have it cleaned by a radiator shop they can flush it and seal it at the same time.

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
Kurt59 #1324034 Thu Aug 29 2019 04:47 PM
Master Gabster
You need to stop trying to start this engine right now!
You need to, at the very least, remove the tank and have it cleaned out buy a radiator shop, or by yourself, or buy a new tank.
If you do not do this, you run the risk of having decades of varnish which has accumulated on the sides and bottom of the tank to be dissolved by today's blend of fuel (which is a very good varnish solvent), and cause it to migrate and accumulate in the fuel pump check valve and throughout the inside of the carburetor, and gum up the valve guides to the point where you bend push rods. A fuel filter will not stop this from happening.
Way too many, well meaning, but in too much of a hurry people make this mistake, and dread it later.
Carl

Kurt59 #1324066 Thu Aug 29 2019 08:00 PM
K
Housekeeping (Moderator) Making a Stovebolt Bed & Paint and Body Shop Forums
What Carl said.
My Model A had a layer of tar (varnish) mixed with rust. I cleaned it out with a gallon of lacquer thinner.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos [flickr.com]
Busting rust since the mid-60's
Kurt59 #1324302 Sat Aug 31 2019 05:29 PM
K
Kurt59 Offline OP
New Guy
Sounds like time to pull the tank. I'll need to take out the seat, which is not even close to original, so the back doesn't fold down (the original seat folds?).

Kurt59 #1324510 Mon Sep 02 2019 07:51 PM
K
Kurt59 Offline OP
New Guy
Pulled the tank and dumped the contents into a bucket. I've never seen such dirty gas! I pulled out the sender unit and it looks like the inside is really filthy. lots of a brown cracked coating on the inside. Any ideas on how to clean out the tank?

Last edited by Kurt59; Mon Sep 02 2019 07:52 PM.
Kurt59 #1324517 Mon Sep 02 2019 08:33 PM
ace skiver
pea-stone gravel
Then you have to decide if you are going to use some sort of interior coating?

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Kurt59 #1324523 Mon Sep 02 2019 08:42 PM
H
Boltergeist
I strapped a fuel tank to a rear wheel of my tractor, added a couple of shovels of pea gravel, and ran the bush hog for a couple of hours in one of my pastures. The hardest part of the whole project was getting all the gravel back out of the tank.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop