The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
19 members (buoymaker, Brad Allen, 2manyprojects, Alan327, 2 invisible), 158 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics118,875
Posts951,515
Members43,285
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Stuck parts, need advice
#1323957 Thu Aug 29 2019 06:40 AM
B
New Guy
I'm looking for some tips/tricks/ideas on getting a set of rims off a front axle. 46 1.5T, both front wheels are seized to the hub.
I have tried copious amounts of PB and maybe not enough heat and I can't get them to budge. I took a wire wheel and polished the wheel/center hub meeting area free of rust etc. As far as heat goes I have run the oxy/acc around the meeting point of hub and rim and out onto the dual mating surface of the rim. I got nothing to glowing hot, am I just not using enough?
The tires are no longer on the rims so no worry of burning them down but I am a bit concerned about cooking seals and such out of the hub.
Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

Chris

Too many to work on
4 bolts, 2 square bodies, 4 GMT400s...and those are the keepers
Re: Stuck parts, need advice
BigBlockMan #1323959 Thu Aug 29 2019 06:58 AM
E
Shop Shark
I had a similar experience with my '48 1Ton. Turns out a previous owner had stuck the wheels on to the hub with some adhesive that took months of pulling, hitting, heating, soaking and swearing before they finally came free. I had the best luck with Deep Creep penetrant from Seafoam. Best of luck!

BigBlockMan #1323960 Thu Aug 29 2019 08:19 AM
M
Shop Shark
How about taking everything off at the kingpins - wheels, hubs, spindles, etc. That will enable you to get it all up off the truck for better access with a pry bar, a hammer swing, or maybe get it in a press.

1951 Chevy Panel Truck
BigBlockMan #1323967 Thu Aug 29 2019 11:02 AM
S
Shop Shark
I have used a large bar as a hammer, endwise to remove stuck wheels. I hold the 1" round bar (5 feet long) in both hands while lying on my back under the truck. I move the bar back about a foot or two and ram it endwise into the strongest part of the wheel I can access from the backside of the wheel. I have never had one withstand this kind of a hit more than twice and find it much easier to control the bar than a hammer. Less chance of damaging the wheel of other parts.

The bar can be guided to the bottom of the bead area, much stronger than the outer edge of the wheel that a hammer often dents. For a front wheel I would try for the bottom so as not to shock load the steering linkage or box.

Beware of things that might bite exposed knuckles.

Leave a couple nuts on the end of the studs a few threads to contain the wheel when it pops free.

Mac :{)

1962 K10 short step side, much modified for rally
1969 T50 fire truck, almost nos, needs a few things
miraclepieco #1323971 Thu Aug 29 2019 11:56 AM
G
Originally Posted by miraclepieco
How about taking everything off at the kingpins - wheels, hubs, spindles, etc. That will enable you to get it all up off the truck for better access with a pry bar, a hammer swing, or maybe get it in a press.

Same idea but easier to just remove hub cap and spindle nut to pull hub, drum, and wheel together.
Then you could put it in a press. Wheel might not be true and useable in the end.

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals [stovebolt.com]
1948 Chevrolet 6400 [stovebolt.com] - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup [stovebolt.com]
---All pictures [picasaweb.google.com]---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
BigBlockMan #1324000 Thu Aug 29 2019 02:12 PM
H
Boltergeist
Take the hub and drum off by removing the spindle nut, shim the wheel up with a few pieces of 4X4 wood, and use another piece of wood across the hub snout before using a sledgehammer to whack the wood. Even if you don't succeed, you'll get a good workout swinging the hammer!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
BigBlockMan #1324041 Thu Aug 29 2019 05:10 PM
L
Wrench Fetcher
Hotrod lincoln has the idea. I have done that before.
Weight of heavy hub hanging down from rim held by wood and a wack from a sledge I think it will fall off fairly easy. Advice to leave on loosened lug nuts is also good for this method.
Mike

BigBlockMan #1324094 Thu Aug 29 2019 11:40 PM
B
New Guy
Well darn was hoping for some easy trick from those more experienced than I, thank you all for the responses.
I'm gonna try the bar method but I'm afraid it will be the removal of the whole assembly off the spindle that will end up working. I had a sneaky hunch it would end up going that way and even mentioned it to my helper, was just trying to avoid it.
In true "me" style I will try a couple other things brewing in my head then, after wasting more time than it would have taken to just take the assembly off the spindle, will end up doing that. I'll let you guys know if anything else works.

Chris

Too many to work on
4 bolts, 2 square bodies, 4 GMT400s...and those are the keepers
BigBlockMan #1324147 Fri Aug 30 2019 04:56 AM
S
New Guy
Try loosening the lug nuts a few turns, then double nut them and drive around at low speeds making lots of turns in different directions. This works on vehicles with alloy wheels that corrode in place. Also PB the backside of the wheel between the wheel and drum. Good luck!

Shacklett #1324151 Fri Aug 30 2019 05:57 AM
M
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Shacklett
Try loosening the lug nuts a few turns, then double nut them and drive around at low speeds making lots of turns in different directions. This works on vehicles with alloy wheels that corrode in place. Also PB the backside of the wheel between the wheel and drum. Good luck!

Scary, but I bet it will work! Stop and check them frequently so as to not wallow out the lug holes when they come loose.

1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop