The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 members (2ManyTrucks, MikeE, Eureka Jim, J Lucas, 2 invisible), 254 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,433
Posts973,579
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Unexpected speedometer issue
#1323257 Sat Aug 24 2019 01:19 PM
D
Shop Shark
My speedometer on my 54 3100 3 speed has not worked since I got it 3 years ago. It was a low priority on the list of things I needed to do. I finally got around to working on it. I always suspected the gears at the transmission were broken. Early on I was able to connect a drill to the speedometer cable and make the speedometer move. I pulled the gear from the transmission, Just the one the cable engages with, not the one in the transmission. It looks good. I then noticed the hole the cable plugs into didn't look right. I then realized it was enlarged and worn out. I suspect that at some time over the years the cable had rusted/frozen and when the truck was move something had to give somewhere.

Do I have any options to repair what I have? My first thought was to clean out the receiving whole and fill it with epoxy and then insert a cable end coated with Vaseline or some lubricant the epoxy would not stick to. In other words, a mold for the epoxy to conform to and reconstructing the receiver.

I realize this is probably not going to be a strong enough or permanent fix, or would it?

Any suggestions are welcome.

If I need to replace it how do I take it apart? I did not spend a lot of time examining it but the plastic gear does not just pull out of the metal house that screws into the side of the transmission, Can I source that piece anywhere and reuse my plastic gear? From what I have read it can be difficult to find a replacement gear. Do I need to find an original somewhere?

Last edited by dgrinnan; Sat Aug 24 2019 01:21 PM.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Re: Unexpected speedometer issue
dgrinnan #1323259 Sat Aug 24 2019 01:29 PM
N
Shop Shark
I had the same issue, and tried the epoxy, JB weld, fix. It didn't last long.
I got a replacement gear from someone here , just post a parts wanted.
I don't know how you got a plastic gear in the mix, the originals are all metal. I haven't seen any catalogue vendor replacements that are exact duplicates....anyone?

NHluvstruck...
1951 3100 5-window
https://stonefacegarage.wixsite.com/mysite
51 Chevy Restoration Page
dgrinnan #1323264 Sat Aug 24 2019 02:22 PM
D
Shop Shark
It might not be plastic. I was remembering the gear from my 72 Olds 88. I need to pull it back out and get a better look and some pics so I can search for a replacement.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
dgrinnan #1323273 Sat Aug 24 2019 03:52 PM
W
Shop Shark
The square hole in the speedo that accepts the square end of the cable had rounded somewhat. I made a wooden shim from a flat toothpick and the speedo now works correctly.

Last edited by Wally / Montana; Sat Aug 24 2019 03:53 PM.

1948 3/4-Ton 5-Window Flatbed Chevrolet [sandeace.com]

28 Years of Daily Driving but now on hiatus. With a '61 261, 848 head, Rochester Monojet carb, SM420 4-speed, 4.10 rear, dual reservoir MC, Bendix up front, 235/85R16 tires, 12-volt w/alternator, electric wipers and a modern radio in the glove box.
dgrinnan #1323344 Sun Aug 25 2019 01:50 AM
C
Shop Shark
Toothpicks are so awesome. Not only can they pick food out from between your teeth............

Craig's '50 Chevy 3100 5 window
My truck
If I'm not working on my truck or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
dgrinnan #1324643 Tue Sep 03 2019 11:22 AM
D
Shop Shark
If it's plastic, it's probably nylon. Can't you simply melt some plastic into the hole with a soldering iron? I've found with the iron, you can get the 2 plastics to "merge" better. Then heat the end of the cable just enough to create the (square) shape you need in the gear. If all else fails, you were looking for a new one anyway. My experience(s) with replacements have always been a kit that included the cable, as well as the gear.

Good luck!

Chris

'64 Chev C20 LWB stepside ( Ol'Blue )
[img]http://boltbucket.org/img/OlBlue-C20-badge-64x64.jpg[/img]
dgrinnan #1324734 Tue Sep 03 2019 07:06 PM
W
Shop Shark
Dave,
I had the opportunity to use this place this summer. He helped me with making an extension for my cable.
Rusty, the owner has an old time shop and can most likely help you.
https://www.speedoservice.com/

Wayne

When I die, I hope she doesn't sell everything for what I told her I paid for it!

1938 1-Ton Farm Truck
In the Stovebolt Gallery
Photos that I have shared on Stovebolt via PhotoBucket are no longer available. Please contact me if you want a photo from an old post. malmwayne@hotmail.com

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop