The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 registered members (Hotrod Lincoln, Bill Marlow, AtomV, EdPruss, drdoug, 3100Cummins), 177 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,443
Posts929,569
Members42,639
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Motor oil preservative #1319985 Wed Jul 31 2019 10:38 PM
S
Spotbiltxo Offline OP
Shop Shark
The bed I put in my truck 10 years ago needs replacing, and I’ve been thinking about how I can make the new bed boards last longer. I thought about soaking them in a trough of used motor oil for a few days. Is that a dumb idea? Has anyone ever tried it?

Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod
Re: Motor oil preservative [Re: Spotbiltxo] #1319995 Thu Aug 01 2019 12:04 AM
W
Wheelie Offline
Wrench Fetcher
When I was a kid, there was a guy down the street who painted his bed wood with used motor oil. The wood looked awful to begin with and he never took care of the steel so the whole bed rusted and fell apart. Not sure how the oil worked as a preservative but I remember it was slicker 'n owl **** when it got wet.
If you want a wood bed floor that lasts, start out with wood that will last. Osage Orange, Ipe, Black locust will all last decades with no treatment at all. I have pulled fence posts made from Osage Orange that were over 50 years old that showed no signs of decay.

Steve

Re: Motor oil preservative [Re: Spotbiltxo] #1320141 Fri Aug 02 2019 10:43 AM
M
miraclepieco Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Spotbiltxo
The bed I put in my truck 10 years ago needs replacing, and I’ve been thinking about how I can make the new bed boards last longer. I thought about soaking them in a trough of used motor oil for a few days. Is that a dumb idea? Has anyone ever tried it?

Ha ha, I can just see the oil slick trail of rainbow-colored puddles following you down the road with every rainstorm!

1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Re: Motor oil preservative [Re: Spotbiltxo] #1320142 Fri Aug 02 2019 11:28 AM
2-Ton Offline
Shop Shark
I have used diesel fuel on trailer beds before.
But just painted it on. It would soak in and not be as slick as motor oil.
Diesel will leave the wood a lighter color than old black motor oil.
Redoing a deck on a trailer now and will buy treated lumber, then give it a coat of deck sealer or diesel.
Give it a coat once a year.

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
Re: Motor oil preservative [Re: Spotbiltxo] #1323138 Fri Aug 23 2019 01:14 PM
S
Spotbiltxo Offline OP
Shop Shark
Never thought of the oil causing the wood to be slick. I was going to wipe off all the excess oil before assembling the bed. Hadn’t thought of diesel fuel, so maybe that’s a better option. If I buy pressure treated wood then I’d have to find someone to cut the grooves for me, and those type boards are usually not very straight and true. Never heard of Osage Orange wood. Where can you buy it? Thanks for all the comments and suggestions.

Chuck
1950 Chevy 1/2 ton (original)
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton (future streetrod)
1941 Chevy coupe
1938 Chevy coupe streetrod

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop