The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 registered members (glenns towing, 68ironhead, Chris's 46 / 515, cmayna, joe apple, Canadian_guy), 407 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,492
Posts929,925
Members42,644
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
GarWood PTO #1322571 Mon Aug 19 2019 08:09 PM
C
cameo1956 Offline OP
Shop Shark
The 1948 Chevy one ton dump bed I am reviving has a GarWood PTO that leaks profusely at the actuator shaft. Ready to remove and take apart, but anybody know a provider for the O ring or seal that needs to be replaced? Nice working unit, just leaks a bunch. Looks like GarWood was sold in 1948 after making lots of GM dump truck mechs. Any idea who bought them and may have parts. Earlier threads this topic helpful, but no source indicated.

Dale

Re: GarWood PTO [Re: cameo1956] #1322590 Mon Aug 19 2019 10:15 PM
G
Grigg Offline
remove the seal with care and see what numbers may be on it. If any then it can very likely be matched to a new one at your regular auto parts store (like NAPA) or a bearing supply house.
Alternatively you can likely do the same with dimensions from the old seal and or where it lives in the PTO.

If as you say it's an old and forgotten manufacturer then you're probably better off with existing numbers or dimensions any how.

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Re: GarWood PTO [Re: cameo1956] #1322601 Mon Aug 19 2019 11:24 PM
E
Elderly Iron Offline
Shop Shark
Lots of them on the Internationals as well. Might check with some of those forums, too. I got some seals at Western States hydraulic repair in Medford Oregon for one that was on an International, but it may not be the same model. That truck is long gone. 541 770 1374

Re: GarWood PTO [Re: cameo1956] #1322655 Tue Aug 20 2019 10:02 AM
P
Paul_WNC Offline
Shop Shark
Dale,

Garwood was a leader in hydraulic ram and hoists back in the 1930-40's. They got bought out by various companies. If you can get the shaft diameter and the housing OD, you should be able to source a replacement seal. Here is a great place to start: https://www.timken.com/pdf/7707_National%20Indust%20Seals%20Catalog.pdf
Odds are you can find someone selling the seal on ebay for pennies on the dollar. Let us know how it works out for you.

Paul

Re: GarWood PTO [Re: Paul_WNC] #1322995 Thu Aug 22 2019 02:37 PM
C
cameo1956 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Still working on it, the actuator? shaft going into the PTO housing is easy to remove with just a cotter key holding the shaft on it's connecting handle. The other shaft; the drive shaft, not so easy, connected with two universals and a driveline to the lift gearbox back at the hydraulics. I am assuming I can remove the connecting universal connected to the shaft at the PTO by somehow pushing the driveline back to and inside the the rear universal temporarily so I can remove the PTO, which would then then be free of both shafts that go inside the PTO. So, still working on it - will let you know if this all works so I can get that shriveled O ring out and find a replacement thanks to your help. Would be nice if I could just remove that O ring without removing the PTO first, but it has a metal retainer housing and I am reluctant to just try to pry out around the shaft and maybe do damage to the housing or the retainer. Not sure its any better going at it from inside the PTO inside, but that seems a safer, if much more laborious solution?

Re: GarWood PTO [Re: cameo1956] #1323129 Fri Aug 23 2019 11:56 AM
03marauderman Offline
Shop Shark
I have a dump body mounted on my 70 C 30, which I believe is much older than the truck....The only identification I can find is on the cast iron hinge in the rear that says "WOOD" - no mention of "GAR" Does anyone have any info on this body? - I'm guessing that WOOD was a MFG that merged with GAR, creating GAR-WOOD???....but its just a guess.....

Re: GarWood PTO [Re: cameo1956] #1323136 Fri Aug 23 2019 12:56 PM
P
Paul_WNC Offline
Shop Shark
I am not certain of the pedigree of your PTO driveline as many things can happen to old trucks over the years. On the old original systems I am familiar with, the output shaft u-joint yoke is attached to the output shaft but a 5/16 or 3/8 inch diameter set screw. Loosen the set screw and carefully slide/pry the yoke away from the PTO. The driveline should have a slip joint in it (typically near the center bearing) allowing for some movement aiding in disassembly.

Re: GarWood PTO [Re: Paul_WNC] #1323211 Sat Aug 24 2019 12:46 AM
C
cameo1956 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I know the set screw you are describing Paul, and I have loosened that, and then tried to maneuver the U yoke back and away from the output shaft, but so far with no success. It has probably been there a long time and may take more than twist wiggle and pull to loosen it enough to get the yoke backed away. I have stopped short of tapping on it, just because it is still attached to the other end which goes into the hydraulic drive. Will just keep trying and try not to screw anything up.It sounds like you are describing exactly what I am seeing. Is the slip joint the other set of universals with a square bar shaft just aft of that center bearing? I did loosen the set screw on that universal also, but still can't get the front u yoke to move back that way. Seems like that drive line is pretty tightly bonded in those u yokes.The center bearing moves nicely. This does appear to be all original but you are right, who ever knows for sure unless you bought it new. Thanks for your help Paul, any suggestions on how to break the bond without messing anything up would be great, but in the meantime I will just keep trying.

Dale

Re: GarWood PTO [Re: cameo1956] #1323247 Sat Aug 24 2019 11:20 AM
P
Paul_WNC Offline
Shop Shark
Yes the slip joint is sometimes a square shaft. There may be decades of old hardened grease and or rust preventing the slip joint to move. Try to clean up that section and apply a liberal amount of penetrant. The woodruff key on the shaft at the yoke may also binding. Gentle tapping on the yoke end at the PTO is fine. Try using a drift so that the hits are clean and precise, tapping in a direction away from the PTO. Tap one side, rotate the driveshaft 180 degrees and tap that side and repeat as necessary. Use care as you don't want to break any difficult to source parts. No need to loose patience and go Neanderthal. Good luck!

Re: GarWood PTO [Re: Paul_WNC] #1323899 Wed Aug 28 2019 10:06 PM
C
cameo1956 Offline OP
Shop Shark
This is where I am, driveline and actuator arm to the PTO disconnected. Is it better to remove and replace the O rings from here without removing the PTO from the transmission? Is that possible or is it necessary to remove/replace the O rings from inside the PTO by removing the PTO from the transmission. Has anyone ever done this that can help with this question.

Attached Files
IMG_2969.JPG (177.33 KB, 151 downloads)
Last edited by cameo1956; Thu Aug 29 2019 11:47 PM. Reason: Update to current
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Grigg 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop