The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
22 members (95Z28A4, BC59, 2ManyTrucks, 5 Window 9434, ApacheFiend, Brad Allen, 1 invisible), 276 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,476
Posts973,865
Members43,939
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
To sub or not to sub,that is the question
#132160 Fri Jun 28 2002 08:15 PM
L
I've got a 70 nova front clip thats looking for a new home.Along with a rearend from the same vehicle.I have a 66 suburban that I'd like to put it in.Will the nova clip be a good choice for the 66 'burb or should I use a different clip as a donor? The 66 has stock suspension with a 12 bolt,drums all around,6 lugger with a 250 and a 4 speed.The nova has front disc's,a stock 12 bolt and had a 250 and a powerglide in it.I've got a 327 with camel hump heads and a turbo 350 a/t from a 89 chevy van with overdrive ready to drop in the 66 after I complete the clip swap.What do you think?

Re: To sub or not to sub,that is the question
#132161 Sun Jun 30 2002 04:10 AM
J
I'm not against sub framing but am wondering why you want to do it to your burb. If it's only for the disc's I wonder if maybe you could find newer truck spindles and disc's to fit. Maybe even do it without needing a spindle change.

#132162 Mon Jul 08 2002 04:26 AM
L
My original plan was to look for rotor's and calipers from a '73 to '89 chevy truck or van that would fit the stock 66 spindles.Or spindles,rotors and calipers fom a chevy truck or van.My existing set up is 6 lug drum.I want to go 5 lug,with disc's,power steering with a tilt column.Was I on the right track originally?If I was what year of vehicle should I be hunting down for parts?Any suggestions would be appreciated.The Nova clip I'll probably save for my '55 Buick Century,which may be a better candidate for a subframe swap.Anyone that's completed a drum to disc/tilt column swap on a '66 truck or suburban or subframed a '55 Buick with a Nova clip,I welcome your advice on the subject.

#132163 Mon Jul 08 2002 12:30 PM
Wrench Fetcher
I happen to know that you can slip a 89 Caprice frame under your sub and all you have to change around will be your frame mounts. Well maybe a few other things but not much. The Caprice has same wheel base front to back and side to side. Just more things to consider. grin

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer.

1941 Pontiac business coupe
1947 Chev Coupe
1969 GTO ragtop

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop