The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 members (DavidBraley, elhippie64, J Lucas, 69Cuda, Hotrod Lincoln, 1 invisible), 177 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,070
Posts970,583
Members43,832
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: air conditioner with a 216?
Skooter #1321466 Sun Aug 11 2019 08:16 PM
T
Shop Shark
When I was growing up in Yuma my Grandpa had an AD (not sure the year) and had one of those window mounted swap coolers. I did pretty well unless it was the dead of summer.

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
Skooter #1321519 Mon Aug 12 2019 04:01 AM
J
Shop Shark
I had an airconditioned VW in the 70s...something like 55 horsepower. And this was with one of the York compressors (which were not given high marks for efficiency).

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end
Skooter #1321524 Mon Aug 12 2019 08:28 AM
R
Wrench Fetcher
If you feel it is taking to much power on acceleration you could consider putting a switch on your throttle linkage that engages above 3/4 foot to the floor. If you set this switch up to cut the power to the aircon clutch the aircon will disengage on heavy acceleration.

Steve

Skooter #1321631 Mon Aug 12 2019 11:52 PM
J
Shop Shark
I have 150 hp 250 inline six, it pulls the a/c just fine with just a hint of roughness at idle, speed it up 100 rpm and it goes back to smooth as can be. I see no reason a 216 would have trouble with the new compressors. If a VW can pull a big old York compressor, the 216 surely can handle a rotary. I had my truck out last night, 88* degrees, high humidity, and 42 degree air coming out the vents, life is good!

Skooter #1321636 Tue Aug 13 2019 12:03 AM
Master Gabster
I can't help but think about how sluggish a 216 with a 3 speed is while going through the gears up a hill. An A/C compressor will not aid that process.
Now if one were to also add a T-5 transmission, why, we'd be right back in business!
Carl

Skooter #1321698 Tue Aug 13 2019 01:16 PM
J
Shop Shark
Look up HP usage for automotive a/c compressors, typically you will find 5-7 hp is all thats required. Some say up to 20, but the HVAC experts can calculate it out, and most agree on 5-7 depending on car size and BTU's be produced.

Skooter #1321910 Thu Aug 15 2019 01:47 AM
S
Skooter Offline OP
Shop Shark
This is the homemade version I'd started collecting parts for. Skip to the 2 minute mark to see internals. There's almost no way for it not to push tons of cold air. For awhile at least...AIR COOLER fits passenger side of AD bench seat

Decided to go a different route when a friend loaned me his HyperKewl It's amazing. Simply soak in water, gently wring out, and zIp up. Stays cold for hours. Took Shelley for a drive in the afternoon heat (95F) and was very comfortable. Got home hung it up darn thing was still cold at bedtime 10 hours later. thumbs_up Not just for desert climes...have poured water down my shirt many times riding a motorcycle in the humid southeast so I know evaporative cooling works to some extent there too.

A cooling vest may not be the solution for everyone, but it's alot more convenient than a 30 lb ice chest on the seat beside you. big_eek For the price ($36 on Amazon) I don't think I can beat it.

Last edited by Skooter; Thu Aug 15 2019 01:49 AM.

2 Chronicles 7:14

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Dalton Highway survivor
www.truckwithaheart.com [flickr.com]
Skooter #1321954 Thu Aug 15 2019 01:21 PM
J
Shop Shark
Something else that really helped my truck stay cool was tinting the windows. Since the cab is small, I set with in inches of the glass, so blocking radiant heat makes a lot of difference. It used to be going south in the morning and north in the afternoon was unbearable, now it doesn't really matter which way I go, I can have the A/C on low speed and the temp turned up a bit and still be comfortable.

moparguy #1321977 Thu Aug 15 2019 05:25 PM
M
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by moparguy
Skooter, I LIKE your "Cool" box. What if, you visited the nearest precious metal yard (Junk Yard to some) and rescued a air to air intercooler from say a Subrua WRX. Pipe the intake outside the cooler, outlet tied to the directional pvc fitting. Cover the intercooler with dry ice (I used to get it free from the back dock of a local big chain grocery). Dry ice is -109 F, pretty stinking cold. Plumb a vent pipe from the upper part of the cooler to the outside and seal the cooler so ALL the CO2 vents to the outside. Turn on the blower and Chill.

Only flaw in the above is you would have to be pretty anal about controlling the CO2 released by the melting dry ice. Gotta vent it outside and gotta seal the ice chest. It's not poisonous like CO, carbon monoxide, but CO2 like any gas that displaces the oxygen we need can produce very serious results in a small space.

The big plus with dry ice is it should last much longer and produce much cooler/colder air.

Last idea, build the cool box with a intercooler, fill it with water, stick the whole thing in the freezer and freeze. When hitting the road throw it in the truck and enjoy. By totally encasing the heat exchanger with ice it would be super effective I'd think.

Fun project, thanks for the ideas.

Good Luck,
RonR

I build dry ice manufacturing plants for a living. We have to vent them to replace the air in the entire plant every 15 minutes. It is dangerous stuff. I would not put in in your truck under any circumstances. You cannot smell it and won't know you have a problem until it's to late. When I was young and lived in the Sol-cal desert I used to put my 6 pack cooler under the cowl vent full of ice. It wasn't great but it helped.

Old enough to know better, too young to resist.
Skooter #1322031 Fri Aug 16 2019 01:14 AM
S
Skooter Offline OP
Shop Shark
Friend of mine who's always flipping an old car for slight profit (mainly likes staying busy in retirement) says modern AC compressors are better than those of the '70's requiring much less energy from an engine. Says one of those would work fine with a 216.
Discuss... grin

2 Chronicles 7:14

1952 Chevy 1/2-ton 3100
Dalton Highway survivor
www.truckwithaheart.com [flickr.com]
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop