The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 registered members (Fox, Justhorsenround, Jeff Ogden, Joe W, D B Cooper, 1 invisible), 333 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,579
Posts930,675
Members42,658
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
refurbishing bedsides #1314971 Thu Jun 20 2019 04:07 AM
B
bluesman Offline OP
Shop Shark
Working on the bed sides for my 1953 chevy one ton, nine foot bed. I'm stymied on how to clean up and paint the bed rolls and stake pockets. So far I've managed to sort of clean the bed rolls by using a wad of steel wool on the end of my stovepipe cleaning rods, sort of like swabbing out a gun barrel. But I can't figure out how to get the insides painted. Same for the stake pockets. I assume someone knows how to do this, but I haven't a clue. I've thought about painting the insides of the rolls by pulling a rag thru while pouring paint down inside, and letting the rag spread it on the insides, but that would get pretty messy. Open to suggestions if anyone has any.

Tim

I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.

Tim
Re: refurbishing bedsides [Re: bluesman] #1314974 Thu Jun 20 2019 04:50 AM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
I don't believe the inside of the bed rolls were even painted at the factory, other than what could be sprayed in from the ends.
Your plan of swabbing with a rag would get it painted, although you might use something like a sponge, which would get more paint where it needs to go and not all over the place.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Re: refurbishing bedsides [Re: bluesman] #1321409 Sun Aug 11 2019 03:41 AM
B
Bolter Finally Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Eastwood makes or rather sells an under-coating system that has an attachment that shoots paint out to the sides. It's intended to get material on enclosed sections. Has a long tube to get deep into frame rails and in this case truck bed. Used it on my chevelle and will be using it for your purpose on my truck.

Jim

1955 Chevy series 2
6 cylinder, 3 on the tree
Short bed, step side

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop