The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Positive thinking ...
We are still asking:
What did you
get done on
your Bolt today
????

The question, initially posted May 23, 2005, was:
"Whatcha do on your Bolt
this weekend?"

After 51,906,997 views, 7378 replies over 185 pages, this thread in General Truck Talk is a happening! And it's not just weekends anymore.

Now with pictures
and No BOTS.

So ...

What did you get done on your Bolt today????

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (1955first6500, crenwelge, 47 BOMBER, 66flea, Darling, Ausfahrt), 90 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums60
Topics127,472
Posts1,031,731
Members45,787
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
NEW CHASSIS FOR TRUCK???
#132051 Sat Oct 30 2004 01:35 AM
G
GARYS Offline OP
HI ALL ....first i'm going to prostreet my truck ...a 1950 chevy..31x18.5..i'm planning on useing a 92 sub. chassis...anyone have any other chassis ideas??...this chassis is a freebe ...i paid nada for it ...the chassis is nice and flat and already for a body ..my orig. chassis is all orig.. w/216 and running gear ,,think i'll have a problem selling it ???i don't want to modify it for someone might be able to use it for a ground up restore.........regards.....gary

Re: NEW CHASSIS FOR TRUCK???
#132052 Sat Oct 30 2004 02:39 AM
O
Cruising in the Passing Lane
You'll have trouble selling the original stuff for much. You might find someone who wants it, but unless they are local the cost of transporting it is likely to scare them off.

When you say '92 sub do you mean a Suburban? Check the track width on the front suspension. I think you'll find its just a little wide for your '50.

If I were thinking pro street I think I'd look for an S-10 chassis and suspension. The front suspension will fit better under the '50.

Its true, I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Steve@OldSub.com . www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com
'55 1st GMC Suburban . '54 GMC 250 trailer puller project. '54 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic . '54 Chevy 3100 . '47 Chevy COE . and more...
#132053 Mon Nov 08 2004 05:35 AM
G
OldSub gave some good advice, but might the Suburban chassis be a tad too long, too? Cutting frames=major headache + potential legal problems.

Did I say that out loud?
#132054 Tue Nov 09 2004 08:11 AM
G
Master Gabster
92 frame

This looks like a pretty good fit albeit a little wider than original.

#132055 Tue Nov 09 2004 09:06 PM
O
Originally posted by GMONIZ:
92 frame

This looks like a pretty good fit albeit a little wider than original.
I'd want to see and drive that one before buying it. The axles should be too wide and I suspect it has interference problems. I don't know the wheelbase for the '92, but unless its 116 inches or maybe 117 inches it would need to be changed.

Lots of people say the best frame is the one your truck came with. I won't say that, but I'll agree that a frame swap is not for the ill-informed or faint of heart. Do your homework first!

Its true, I really don't do anything but browse the Internet looking for trouble...
Steve@OldSub.com . www.OldSub.com . www.MaxwellGarage.com . www.OldGasTowRigs.com
'55 1st GMC Suburban . '54 GMC 250 trailer puller project. '54 GMC 250 Hydra-Matic . '54 Chevy 3100 . '47 Chevy COE . and more...
#132056 Thu Nov 11 2004 07:53 AM
G
Master Gabster
Oldsub, I asked the seller and he responded.

"You asked:
"How many modifications were done to the frame to get it to fit under the panel? How does it steer and do the tires rub the fenders? What is the overall length and wheelbase of the original 92 frame?"

The frame came from a short bed reg cab pickup. I didn't have to change the length of the frame. I had to move the engine back 4". The rear of the body sits right on the frame rails. I had to make some mounts to mount the front of the frame. The right front tire was rubbing on the fender so I adjusted the torsion bars and it dosen't seem to rub any longer. It steers fine. Thanks, Jeff"

It may be ok for those who like the 4 wheel drive look, but I agree more homework is needed. I jsut thought that it was an oportunity to see another frame modification.

#132057 Thu Nov 11 2004 09:58 PM
O
GMONIZ I'm glad you asked. I've seen a couple old trucks lifted with later 4x4 running gear under them, and its just not the look I want either. But every time I get close to one I look underneath to see how they did it.

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop