The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy Birthday U S A !

Celebrating

Life, Liberty
and the
Persuit of Happiness

Happy Birthday
A M E R I C A

July 4 - 246 years

Stories, Pictures, Thoughts

Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (Gooberdog, coilover, 3B, 55shaker, drdoug, 3 invisible), 101 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,081
Posts1,037,106
Members45,928
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1315832 Thu Jun 27 2019 04:12 PM
M
'Bolter
I just read the Tech Tips for rebuilding door hinges. In there, it says that they used a bit that was one thousandth larger than the pin. Is this correct? I plan to order a good bit, just for this job, and I want to be sure to order one that will give me the proper clearance. In your experience, how much clearance should there be for these hinge pins. My truck is a 53 half ton.

Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Ford Victoria
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe
G
Insomniac
Been a while, but if I remember correctly, the hinge pin kit I bought came with bushings. You drill using the appropriate size for the bushing. The pin fits the bushing very closely.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
H
Kettle Custodian (pot stirrer)
Use a chucking reamer with lots of lubricant in a drill press instead of a drill bit- - - -drills don't cut accurate holes! Victor Machinery company has chucking reamers available in .001" size graduations for reasonable prices.

www.victornet.com

Jerry

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose"
Kris Kristofferson

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!

WAG MORE- - - - - -BARK LESS!
B
Sir Searchalot
The two Tips are excellent. Follow them both. This is not a super precision effort. The .001 is an error. The difference between an S bit and a 11/32 bit is .0043. Get the repair kit first. Then measure pieces with calipers. Then try to use a standard bit. Then decide what to buy. You just need a light press fit of the bushing into the hinge. The fit of the pin and bushing is given. You can't decide ahead of time what drills to buy. Take your time. You can chuck a pin in a drill press and sand with emery if it's a little too big. Provided there is extra length to fit in chuck. You can possibly use a bolt, washers and nut to "press in" the new bushings.

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.
"We have no time for comment, every man will make his own. LET IT BE MADE WITH POWDER AND BALL!!!"
I recommend invoking MIL-T-FP41c when machining and fabricating
I used to think beer was bad for me, so I gave up thinking.
Sometimes no nonsense makes sense, in a sense.
You can't teach a new dog old tricks.
Honk if you're Amish

'Bolter
The hinge pin kits should include instructions for what size drill bit to use. Do yourself a favor and spring for a high dollar new drill bit to get an accurate hole. I have rebuilt many AD hinges for myself and others, and have never had one requiring use of the bushings. The bushings are for Task Force trucks and AD trucks with horrendously worn hinges.
Carl

'Bolter
Check the tech tip section for some pointers but wait till you get the pins before drillings.

1937 Chevy Pickup [stovebolt.com]

1952 Chevy Panel [stovebolt.com]
52 Chevy Panel [photos.app.goo.gl]

Pictures in my Photobucket [s140.photobucket.com]

1950 Chevy Coupe
https://photos.websearch.com/share/...Nko1cUJCNFFMTVFEUnNRbjFhNTFPc1J4YWV4cmRB

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
M
'Bolter
Hinges are rebuilt. Lots of good info provided by you guys. I used 11/32" to drill the hinge bars, and a size "R" on the brackets. Everything is nice and snug, but still operates smoothly. This is Deve's method.

Mike Burns
1940 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Chev 1/2 ton
1953 Ford Victoria
1950 Studebaker Starlight Coupe
A
Shop Shark
invest in calipers. only way to know what you are drilling with, and drilling for....thousandths matter!

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop