The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Remember old days

Remember
The old Bulletin Board?

click to enter

The old Bulletin Board has been removed from the server. And with recent "spring" cleaning, we are removing links back to it. The BB is still out in cyber space (to some extent) thanks to
The Wayback Machine.
Stovebolt Site Search
'
Oh Lord, I just gotta find it....

A pdf guide to help you search the Site

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 members (FinnBolt, Biggin69, 3B, 68ironhead, Bri’56-3200, DaveV, 1 invisible), 92 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics128,093
Posts1,037,197
Members45,931
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Step-by-step instructions for pictures in the forums
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Jim Carter - bed information, including bed wood color

I think someone recently posted different painted bed-wood information, but I cannot not find it.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
A
Shop Shark
I'm going to be doing it the same way. all at once is always best, but reality is, well, one piece at a time. If you buy more than a gallon, get an extra can and blend all the paint. if you buy 2 gallons, get an extra can. pour 1/2 into the empty can, then pour 1/2 from your other gallon into the can, mix, then pour back. follow this process and you will have uniform paint. As long as you don't paint 1/2 the truck, let it sit in the sun, then paint the other 1/2, you should be ok. It may feel like wasting money, but always buy more than you will need. cause you will need it. especially if you are like me and don't paint but one truck every decade. try and have similar environmental days when you do it. humidity and temp. I wouldn't hesitate on a solid color, metallics and pearls or candys, one day, one shot. i've heard horror stories. but it sounds like you are shooting a solid color. Make sure your prep is done and everything has been test fitted. nothing worse than having to massage a door or a fender to fit once everything is nice and shiny

D
Dusty53 Offline OP
'Bolter
Originally Posted by tclederman
Jim Carter - bed information, including bed wood color

I think someone recently posted different painted bed-wood information, but I cannot not find it.

Tim, it was my post and you contacted Bob Adler and here was your reply copied from that post.

I have spoken with Bob Adler (Stephentown, NY), and, Bob says that:

1. 1947-1953 Advance-Design pickup beds were painted black (boards & strips)
And the boards and strips were (somehow) painted together and placed in/on the bed as a painted assembly.

2. 54/55st Advance-Design pickup beds were painted body color (lower body color on two-tones).
These boards and strips were not painted as an assembly.

So, Ronnie, yes, your bed boards/floor came that way from the factory.

By the way, I really like that 1954 Ocean Green color.

Tim

Ron
1954 Chevy 3604 - A work in progress...
Veteran, USMC

" You can't keep dancing with the Devil and wonder why you're still in Hell ! "

"Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions"
D
Dusty53 Offline OP
'Bolter
The feedback has been fantastic , thanks everyone!

Ron
Veteran, USMC

"Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you're stupid and make bad decisions"
Bubba - Curmudgeon
Ronnie,

Thanks for tweaking my memory.

I go back and forth on the 1954 bed wood color (even after considering Bob's advice). I am going to paint my 54 bedwood black because it will contrast well with the yellow body color and the black running boards and black rear lamps (other contentious issues in 54/55st). I'll just carry GM /Chevrolet 1954 bed-wood/running-board illustrations and enjoy the discussions.

I hope to have my 1954 pickup painted by next summer.

Tim
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
D
Dusty53 Offline OP
'Bolter
I can't wait to see the yellow color are you going with the Yukon Yellow ? I'm in the process of prepping a fender I got out of Arizona and it looks like the original color was yellow. Thanks again for your input Tim.

Ron
Veteran, USMC

Bubba - Curmudgeon
Yes, I think the 1954 colors were Yukon Yellow and Pure White.

Tim
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop