The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Stovebolt is pleased to support the Salvation Army!
We're doing fine but many around the World are not. Instead of making a contribution to us this holiday season, how about making your contribution to a great organization with a long history of helping people in need around the world?

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (5/8 ton, aggie jon, Gmetzger, bluesman, 47bolter, 2 invisible), 373 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,531
Posts930,236
Members42,646
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: SHop Organizing [Re: tom moore] #1319861 Tue Jul 30 2019 09:54 PM
G
Grigg Offline
If you’re lucky before you needed it.
If you’re smart then after you needed it. (The first time)
If both then you’ve had it forever.

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Re: SHop Organizing [Re: tom moore] #1319988 Wed Jul 31 2019 11:14 PM
T
tom moore Online OP
Shop Shark
Good comment, Grigg. Ha!

Re: SHop Organizing [Re: tom moore] #1324634 Tue Sep 03 2019 07:26 AM
D
Detroit Iron Offline
Shop Shark
I'm pretty good at putting things back as I'm done with them (which does noting for longer-term projects). wink
My problem is more of collecting things. I keep getting, or keeping things I know I'm going to need ( some day ). Knowing that if I break down, and throw it away, or sell it. I'll need it the next day, or week. So I guess storage makes my shop messy.
Am I alone on this? Bet not. wink

Chris

'64 Chev C20 LWB stepside ( Ol'Blue )
[img]http://boltbucket.org/img/OlBlue-C20-badge-64x64.jpg[/img]
Re: SHop Organizing [Re: tom moore] #1325172 Sat Sep 07 2019 12:18 AM
T
tom moore Online OP
Shop Shark
R u sure you are not a Yankee?

Last edited by tom moore; Sat Sep 07 2019 11:12 AM.
Re: SHop Organizing [Re: Grigg] #1325174 Sat Sep 07 2019 12:53 AM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Grigg
If it's the big C-clamp kind keep it.
Real handy for pressing bushings in and out of spring hangers on these old trucks, among other similar task.

Agreed. They work well for replacing pressed in u-joints also.

@TUTS59, can I borrow that brother-in-law for a day or two?? I could use him to help clean up my garage, but only if he puts stuff back where it belongs. wink

Last edited by klhansen; Sat Sep 07 2019 12:56 AM.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Re: SHop Organizing [Re: tom moore] #1336557 Thu Dec 05 2019 07:02 PM
A
aggie jon Online
Shop Shark
Just remember, if you are watching the shows on TV, they have a staff that cleans up behind the hosts. Along with someone else likely doing most of the work. It takes a special kind of OCD to keep a shop spotless that is actually doing work on a regular basis. And if you walk into a garage and everything has a place, and is in its place, they likely aren't doing much work. I find myself taking a 5 gallon bucket about once a month and gathering tools and putting them in their place, or attempting to. Most of the time, they just end up sitting in 5 gallon buckets around the shop, or under a project, or on a project, or beside a project. My wife is OCD, organized and all that. My shop gives her anxiety. Good thing is it keeps her out of it! I kinda know where most stuff is, or was. Do I spend extra time looking for a tool, yup! But my shop, my brain, and my life is semi-organized chaos all the time, so it is all still in line with the norm.

Maybe when I am retired and have nothing better to do, I will have a tightly organized ship, but for now, I do what I can do, clean up when I need to, and just tell myself what I tell my real estate clients when they watch too much HGTV, "hey, they still live here too!". I still work here! It will be a mess. Grab a beer, find a empty spot, sit on an empty 5 gallon bucket, and lets do some fun work!

As a wise man said, "An organized clean desk is the sign of a sick mind, or someone who doesn't do much work!"

Re: SHop Organizing [Re: tom moore] #1336615 Fri Dec 06 2019 02:22 AM
B
Builder Offline
Shop Shark
I understand as much agg_jon.

Re: SHop Organizing [Re: tom moore] #1336628 Fri Dec 06 2019 04:49 AM
Rusty Rod Offline
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
I will usually put everything "away" when it start tripping over stuff. And It's already time to spend a day cleaning up again! I've got a 24 x 30 separate garage that has tool boxes, shelves, and benches all the way around from floor to ceiling. Plus two cars! I need to dispose of one of my vehicles asap so I can move the 67 'burb into the garage. My neighbor is the HOA president and they don't take kindly to my projects being outside. Besides that, it's too cold to work outside for long.

I recently bought one of the mid-sized rolling boxes from HF. I also bought the short hanging box that goes on the side, plus the tall box with the door for the other side. I put my flat tips in the top drawer of the side box, then the x-tips, then whatever. I use the top drawers on the big box for misc bs. then standard wrenches, metric wrenches with the sockets in the smaller drawer next to them. This keeps the tools handy and fairly easy to find (assuming that they are not piled up next to an ongoing project!!!!

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Re: SHop Organizing [Re: tom moore] #1336652 Fri Dec 06 2019 12:47 PM
T
TUTS 59 Offline
Shop Shark
My HOA is 4 ft 9 in, she is the law around here. She thinks 6 tool boxes is enough, there goes my Christmas list. dang

Craig

Come,Bleed or Blister somethings got to give!!!
Q:"What yah runnin"
A:"3/8 drive Black and Decker aquarium pump motor" (the movie HOTROD)

59' Apache 31, long term project (30 years and counting)
Re: SHop Organizing [Re: tom moore] #1336746 Sat Dec 07 2019 04:06 AM
MNSmith Online
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
Dare I start posting pictures of my tool box.....again?

Attached Files
tool box.jpg (67.95 KB, 22 downloads)
tool box 3.jpg (61.63 KB, 22 downloads)
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  48bigtrucks, MNSmith 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop