The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (glenns towing, 55 SHAKER, 1931truck, Bill Bishop, AwDang, 1 invisible), 237 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,932
Posts960,508
Members43,519
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Install oil pan on 53 216
#1319106 Wed Jul 24 2019 08:11 PM
G
Geo55 Offline OP
New Guy
Have dropped the oil pan on my 53 chevy 3100 to adjust rod bearings. After about 2 hours and many tries and cuss words I cannot get the rear of the pan to go on after I seat the front part of it up under the front mount. It feels as though I am hitting the oil intake screen assembly. Do I need to raise the front of the motor up and remove the front motor mount to get clearance to install the oil pan?

Re: Install oil pan on 53 216
Geo55 #1319169 Thu Jul 25 2019 11:13 AM
T
Wrench Fetcher
I did not have any issue when i changed out my oil pan gaskets last summer. It had leaked oil ever since i got the truck so i pulled the pan and found the rear portion on the gasket was folded over slightly causing my leak I cleaned the surfaces and used a little permatex to hold the 4 piece gasket in place. Gotta give it time to set up though. And if you don't have one in there now it's good practice to throw a strong magnet into the bottom of the pan to help grab any particulates floating around in the oil system.

As for reassembly, it wasn't too ignorant getting it back in place. I had the front of the truck jacked up and on stands so i had enough clearance to get my body under the pan so i could hold the pan up in place with my chest and one hand while the other hand was getting bolts started. Just be mindful of the gaskets as you get it back in place.

Geo55 #1319183 Thu Jul 25 2019 01:06 PM
S
Shop Shark
The engine doesn't need to be raised. But it is definitely a tight fit. If I recall, I eased the oil pan almost into place, but about a half inch away from the seating surfaces. The front end went in first at a bit of an angle,and then the rear of the pan followed until it was horizontal. And then the gaskets were seated.

Geo55 #1319189 Thu Jul 25 2019 02:24 PM
P
Shop Shark
Sometimes the pan can catch on the crank. You may want to turn the crank a little and try again.

See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog
Geo55 #1319192 Thu Jul 25 2019 02:35 PM
G
Geo55 Offline OP
New Guy
Thank you for the replies but having knocked the oil pick up screen and wire retainer loose on several of my futile attempts to seat the oil pan , I decided to bump the the oil pickup canister with my fist and discovered it easily moved rearward about an inch. The oil pan then was able to seat against the block. Celebration was short lived as I discovered engine still ran with a slight knock after fire up . I'm not experienced with babbit pounders but am now wondering if my choice of 10-30 valvoline conventional oil is too light or if the engine just needs a rebuild as one or two of the connecting rods were down to only having one shim left wont none on the opposing side. Also it does blow some smoke when I warm it up to 180 and rev the engine. The truck sat in a yard for about 20 years before I bought it.

Geo55 #1319389 Sat Jul 27 2019 12:57 AM
Master Gabster
I have to give you credit for trying to fix your engine the same way that every repair shop in business did prior to the 1960s.
Now you have the pleasure of pulling the engine and get in there and learn how cool (my opinion) these engine are on the inside.
Congratulations! I pity all of those out there who have never done it.
Carl

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop