The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Happy New Year

A New Year
A New Decade
A New Vision

Ring in the new with some quality time with your old truck! A great time to tackle a winter project. If you do not have access to your truck, start your parts list for spring!
The days are officially getting longer now, you know!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 registered members (forman, 2and4wheels, Bill Trotter, carbking, bartender, 2 invisible), 913 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,094
Posts935,541
Members42,776
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
My 235 engine "Sings"! Why? #1318563 Sat Jul 20 2019 08:59 PM
J
Joe S. Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Friends:

My 235 sings a constant musical note while running, when idling and running down the road. It is the same kind of sound you get wetting your finger and rubbing it around the rim of a glass. It is continuous and the tone and intensity stays the same regardless of engine speed. ! What is the cause? It is difficult to isolate to a specific part of the engine but seems louder on the distributor side. The only thing I can guess is the lip seal on the timing gear cover. I have no oil leaks.

Regards,

Joe

'49 3100 "Sweet Caroline" because the truck has fabulous curves .... like Caroline!
Re: My 235 engine "Sings"! Why? [Re: Joe S.] #1318568 Sat Jul 20 2019 09:14 PM
W
Wrenchbender Ret. Offline
Master Gabster
Take the fan belt off & try it. If it goes away then spin the water pump & Gen. by hand & see if makes a noise or turns hard.
Check the dist points to see if there is a small amount of grease on the cam. I've seen this make a squeal when the rubbing block on the points are dry.
George

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Re: My 235 engine "Sings"! Why? [Re: Joe S.] #1318570 Sat Jul 20 2019 09:22 PM
J
Joe S. Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
George,

Thank you for the reply. The distributor points were lubed recently. When I installed the water pump, it did not turn freely in the sense of spinning but otherwise exhibited no excessive play. I attributed the stiffness while turning to the seal which would normally be lubricated by the coolant. I had the generator apart and the bearings were lubed and fine.

Joe

'49 3100 "Sweet Caroline" because the truck has fabulous curves .... like Caroline!
Re: My 235 engine "Sings"! Why? [Re: Joe S.] #1318580 Sat Jul 20 2019 11:14 PM
V
Volfandt Offline
Shop Shark
If it weren't for it staying constant and not varying with rpm I'd say air rushing through the air cleaner or a vacuum leak around the carb, intake or even the vacuum wiper motor under your dash (if so equipped).
But it's loudest on the dist side, hummm, maybe a leaky vacuum advance canister?

I've seen electrical circuits vibrate at frequency's that could be heard, if you had a radio and heard it the capacitor/condenser in the dist could cause that. Might try replacing the condenser just for GP.
Good luck
Dave

Re: My 235 engine "Sings"! Why? [Re: Joe S.] #1318585 Sun Jul 21 2019 12:07 AM
J
Joe S. Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Thank you Volfandt, I DO have the air cleaner off. I will check it with it on and the vacuum advance, the truck's performance is as if it were not working.

Re: My 235 engine "Sings"! Why? [Re: Joe S.] #1318597 Sun Jul 21 2019 02:14 AM
J
Jon G Offline
Shop Shark
I've seen this with a failing vac advance diaphragm. Same thing with air pressure regulators for compressors. Sounds like a tuning fork, doesn't it?

Jon

1952 1/2 ton with 1959 235
T5 with 3.07 rear end

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop