The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (NorthCoast3800), 161 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,948
Posts969,591
Members43,802
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Ready to tear apart
#1317315 Thu Jul 11 2019 04:04 AM
E
New Guy
Hi all, I finally have the time and funds to start on my 1951 Chevrolet 3100. I have been reading the forum for a few years and still have a few questions.
1. This will be a daily driver when I’m finished so for my wife’s peace, is it wrong to put seatbelts in?
2. From what I have seen, should I pull the trigger and upgrade to 12-volts?
3. I would like to stay as original as possible, are there any other upgrades I should consider? It doesn’t have an engine but I was looking at the 235 CPI with single carb.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. The local community college has several automotive classes and encourages the students to bring in their projects and work on them—even on Saturdays.

Re: Ready to tear apart
elfwinelf #1317334 Thu Jul 11 2019 12:18 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! shake
The Welcome Center is really not the best place for questions. Why? Because only about 1% of our membership ever come back here after their introduction. Read through the various forums and pick out the best for each question. Multiple questions about different subjects in the same thread make it hard for those searching for a particular topic. Take some time to read the Sticky Thread at the top of the General Truck Talk Forum about “Why Posts are Moved, Edited or Deleted” for some good information on navigating the site. You’ve got a great fun project ahead.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

elfwinelf #1317340 Thu Jul 11 2019 12:25 PM
ace skiver
In response to your items listed above:

1. By all means put in seat belts (shoulder straps can also be installed on both sides, unless you have a panel body truck).

2. Unless you need a lot of 12v high-power devices, 6v volt works reliably.

- have a good 6v battery

- make sure both the battery cables and all the grounding straps (usually braided) are 2 gauge or 1 gauge, or 0 gauge, or 00 gauge
(size matters - 2 gauge was original on 6v and 4 gauge was original in 12v)

- check/clean ALL grounding locations - poor grounds are the main problem causing complaints about 6v systems

3. Inexpensive 6v-12v converters are available, if you want to use a few low-power-draw 12v devices (like GPS or cell phone chargers)

I have had only one problem with 6v on my 1954 Suburban that I have owned/driven for 47 years.
That one problem was a combination of having a combination of 12v cable and a bad ground.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
elfwinelf #1317389 Thu Jul 11 2019 06:02 PM
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Have fun. Make sure you BAG and TAG all the parts, especially the hardware!! And like the others said, for a better response, please ask questions that apply to a particular forum in that forum.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
elfwinelf #1317391 Thu Jul 11 2019 07:08 PM
ace skiver
Take lots of photos of parts before you take them apart.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
elfwinelf #1317437 Fri Jul 12 2019 01:02 AM
E
Shop Shark
Like Rusty Rod and tclederman have said BAG, TAG AND PICTURES. I just hired a new guy to work with me well he pulled a part one of my customers car and did not mark a thing and this is a total frame off. I have been looking for parts bolt screws etc for weeks. So take there advice.

elfwinelf #1317456 Fri Jul 12 2019 03:37 AM
R
Shop Shark
Can't add much to what's already been said, except to say there is no "wrong" way to do anything! It's your truck-the only one you have to please is yourself.
Welcome to the Bolt!

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

Life is like a roll of toilet paper--the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop