The Stovebolt.com Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

WELCOME

The site has expanded to include the 1973 to 1987 trucks!

Check out the new forum just for them and welcome our newest brothers and sisters with the "Rounded Line" trucks.
Encourage one another! Share what you've learned!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 members (), 194 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums58
Topics121,815
Posts982,094
Members44,314
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1941 Chev Truck Grille Fitting....
#1317392 Thu Jul 11 2019 07:17 PM
C
New Guy
Hello, we are restoring a 1941 Chevrolet 1/2 ton truck and we have run into an issue fitting the lower grille assembly.The truck we are working on suffered front end damage so we are working with parts that were not part of the original assembly package. However, we are working with used original parts. The issue we are having is fitting the bottom part of the grille to valance assembly (the sheet metal part where the bumper brackets extend through). We are not able to easily line up the bottom of the grille with the valance, and we can also see that the mounting holes in the lower grille do not line up with the receiving mounting holes in the valance.
I guess our questions are as follows:

1) Are there any "tricks" or "techniques" necessary to fit the grille assembly on a 1941 style Chevrolet truck?

2) Is it possible that the valance assembly is either for a different year Chevrolet or possibly fits a GMC grille assembly, which would explain why the mounting holes are not lining up?

3) Are lower valances for 1941 GM trucks different between Chevrolet and GMC? And how does one tell the difference?

If you can help us by suggesting a way to solve this mystery without a lot of bending of old metal or needless drilling of more holes, we will be very happy to try it. Sincerely, Charles Evans

Charles M Evans
Re: 1941 Chev Truck Grille Fitting....
Charles Evans #1317396 Thu Jul 11 2019 07:38 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Make sure all bolts already in place are loose. Helps to move things around a bit.🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

Charles Evans #1317436 Fri Jul 12 2019 01:00 AM
Shop Shark
I agree with Martin.

Additionally, when I did this step a few months ago on my ‘46 the valance/grill fitting was a hassle as well. We used several tapered punches/drifts to align the holes and placed the bolts as possible. It took a few attempts to get the alignment completed. It helps to have someone “eyeball” the fit as you push and tug the pieces into alignment. Also, to prevent scratches on the painted adjacent parts, I used painters tape to protect the mating surfaces. It was removed afterwards.

Charles Evans #1317972 Tue Jul 16 2019 06:54 PM
C
New Guy
Thanks for your responses. We'll keep at it, per your experiences above. I guess they're really isn't a different between the lower valances on Chevrolet vs. GMC? We only have one valance in fair shape, so we will do what it takes to make it fit.

Charles M Evans
Charles Evans #1318041 Wed Jul 17 2019 03:02 AM
Shop Shark
Don’t have any info about the GMC comparison, sorry.

Charles Evans #1319306 Fri Jul 26 2019 01:29 PM
H
Shop Shark
Charles,
You may have to get the grill as close as possible and then drill new holes in the valance to make everything fit. The old holes will not show as they are covered by the grill.
Harold

Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?
Charles Evans #1320291 Sat Aug 03 2019 05:12 PM
C
New Guy
Thanks for everyone's input and I will post a photo of our project soon.

While the answer didn't come from here, I think I have concluded that the lower valances for Chevrolet and GMC are two different parts. The grille on the Chevrolet forms a "V " at the bottom, and the GMC grille is flat at the bottom. Apparently GM made the two front grilles totally non-interchangeable, which is kind of weird to believe that they would go to the trouble of two sets of tooling for the lower valance. But I do believe that we have a GMC lower valance and it will not fit Chevrolet.

I also found an original 41 GMC 1/2 pickup truck roaming around Reno, and can see that the shape of the two lower grilles, not just the style are different (GMCs are horizontal slats, Chevrolet are vertical). The upper grilles appear interchangeable except that GMC has a GMC badge incorporated into it.

Other signs that this is probably the case comes from the vendors. Filling Station in Oregon offers a fiberglass lower valance and they offer different part numbers to fit either GMC or Chevrolet, also pretty much confirming that the two styles are different.

So, with that said, we were able to fit our grille reasonably well on 3 sides, but the lower part will have to wait until we find a suitable lower valance, either out of original steel or just bite the bullet and buy a fiberglass panel.

Charles M Evans
Charles Evans #1320352 Sun Aug 04 2019 05:02 AM
F
Fox Offline
A teacher, but always an apprentice.
Charles,
I think you’re very likely correct. I know that on the AD 47-53 Chevs and GMCs the lower balance on the grilles are very different.

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- rusted
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban—rusted.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
Charles Evans #1320515 Mon Aug 05 2019 01:00 PM
H
Shop Shark
Charles,
Did you get my PM last week?
Harold

Harold
Is a restoration ever finished?

Moderated by  HandyAndy, klhansen 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop