The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (Barney1951, Bodini, DennisM, bluesman, billypylot, 1953 panel), 269 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,432
Posts973,577
Members43,932
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: TWO bushings in front of torque tube?
daveboy #1316190 Mon Jul 01 2019 05:48 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Read the thread 18 below this thread. It’s by Gary P and then read Tim’s post about different sizes of Okie Bushings. Maybe you have the wrong one.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

daveboy #1316201 Mon Jul 01 2019 08:24 PM
D
daveboy Offline OP
Shop Shark
Yes. I had read that previously. I measured my old bushing and it is .005" smaller in diameter than the okie. Hardly enough to matter I would think.

'52 Chevy 1/2 ton running original gear
daveboy #1316232 Tue Jul 02 2019 02:18 AM
J
Shop Shark
At this point I don't think you a have choice because you probably can't pull out the Okie bushing and file it down.

The picture looks like the Okie bushing is sticking out more than a 1/4".

You should turn the rear wheels to see if the propeller shaft rotates freely. Is the wiggle gone?

Without the ball housing on, bolt everything together, rear yoke, U-Joint and front yoke.
Now look to see how close the rear yoke flange is to the Okie bushing.
Check attached photo.

xfiles

Attached Files
Okie bushing to rear yoke clearance.jpg (41.85 KB, 266 downloads)
daveboy #1316258 Tue Jul 02 2019 11:34 AM
D
daveboy Offline OP
Shop Shark
Oh, there is no doubt that I can't pull it back out.

Agree that it looks like more than 1/4" in the photo, but I measured it. My next step is to see if I can pick up a pipe fitting today that is nearly same diameter as the okie. I'm going to pound on that and see if it does the trick. I'll be sure to stay away from the inner edge of the okie so as to not beat up the brass bushing. I think part of my problem is that a lot of the force was being absorbed by the wood block.

daveboy #1316272 Tue Jul 02 2019 01:44 PM
N
Shop Shark
Seems to me you could cut or grind down the protruding piece as need, the okie bushing has plenty of extra bearing surface.

NHluvstruck...
1951 3100 5-window
https://stonefacegarage.wixsite.com/mysite
51 Chevy Restoration Page
daveboy #1316289 Tue Jul 02 2019 03:57 PM
D
daveboy Offline OP
Shop Shark
I was thinking along the same lines, although it would be difficult to do with that propeller shaft in the way.

I made another tool from a piece of 1" pipe with a union on the end (see photo). The union is almost exactly the same outside diameter as the bushing. The pipe's inside diameter is only slightly larger than the propeller shaft. So, it pretty much centers itself on the bushing which puts the force on the aluminum bushing instead of the brass insert.

I was thinking that my problem might be that the wood was absorbing most of the energy of the hammer blows. It transferred the force okay until it got really tight, and then it was cushioning the blow a little too much.

I was right. It worked (see second photo).

Attached Files
okie flush.jpg (105.04 KB, 210 downloads)
pipe.jpg (85.81 KB, 209 downloads)

daveboy #1316292 Tue Jul 02 2019 05:10 PM
J
Shop Shark
Good to here you got it in. I was about to call this torque tube, the torque tube from hell.
That pipe you made-up to pound in the Okie the last 1/4" was a good idea.
Now you can reassemble everything.
Here is my Okie Bushing Driver Tool > Concept I posted awhile back.

Did you turn the rear wheels to see if the propeller shaft rotates freely.
Is the wiggle gone in the propeller shaft?
Looking down torque tube, can you see if the rear Okie bronze bushing is in its original position?
Does your screw on retainer cap have to big O-ring washers?
Do you know how to correctly adjust the ball housing?

Squirt some gear lube inside the Okie before you slide in the rear yoke.
After you have it all closed up unscrew the speedometer driven gear and fill the housing with a 1/2 pint of gear lube then top-off tranny.
It takes awhile for the tranny to funnel gear lube past the main output shaft's rear bearing into the ball housing area & then to the torque tube bushings.
Run the truck for a couple miles then check tranny fluid again, keep checking until the fluid level doesn't go down any more.

Almost time to give the truck a drive!

daveboy #1316307 Tue Jul 02 2019 08:02 PM
D
daveboy Offline OP
Shop Shark
Well, the light at the end is getting brighter, but I'm still not there yet.

To answer your questions, I did not turn the wheels. At this point, either it turns or it doesn't!!!! The wiggle in the propeller shaft is completely gone. Just now saw this post, so I didn't look down the okie for the rear bushing, not sure I would have been able to tell anyway. Yes, I have the two steel washers and the seal between them. And, yes, I have read the procedure on how to adjust the ball housing. In fact, I did that fitting yesterday and settled on two shims.

Here is where I am as of right now: Waiting for help! I have everything slid on/in the torque tube. When I try and align the u-joint assembly up, it is more than I can do by myself. When I took it apart, there was no pressure on the torque tube. I had a jack under it and the yoke just slid straight back after removing the caps. The truck has not moved, but now, the yoke is about 1/2" toward the driver's side farther than it should be. I can pry it over, but I can't pry it, hold it up, and install the capscrews at the same time. So, for the first time in this project, I have called for backup.

daveboy #1316327 Wed Jul 03 2019 12:32 AM
J
Shop Shark
A 1/2" inch is not much.
What you could try is putting the jack under the drivers side leaf spring.
Compressing or lifting the leaf spring upward a little, may move the end of the torque tube over enough, to line-up the rear yoke with front yoke.

Do you think you may have tweaked the torque tube a little when cranking on the Okie bushing puller?

The torque tubes are riveted into the carrier housing. Picture
You could check the trueness of the torque tube. Picture

I think one leaf spring is hanging slightly lower than the other.

daveboy #1316365 Wed Jul 03 2019 11:36 AM
D
daveboy Offline OP
Shop Shark
I got it connected with a little bit of help. It would be just my luck that I tweaked the tube!

Before I attached the ball housing, I did put the tranny in neutral and spin a tire to make sure everything was free. Everything turned freely with no strange noises. I ran out of time, but all that's left is to attach the transmission support to crossmember, torque the ball housing down, tighten the collar, and fill with oil.

Hope to get the test drive in today.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop