The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 members (3800GUY, 95Z28A4, BlackViking60, Cosmo, Bill Trotter, 2 invisible), 150 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,048
Posts970,438
Members43,831
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Panel Truck Insulation
#1305401 Sun Mar 31 2019 05:23 AM
M
Shop Shark
Have all you panel truck owners put some type of insulation or sound deadening inside your cargo areas? It's like an echo chamber in there. It's a HUGE amount of space to fill - it would be expensive and time consuming to cover it completely. Would jute or similar be effective? Indoor-outdoor carpet? I sure would appreciate any ideas,suggestions or inspiration to save some money and reduce the noise level.

Attached Files

1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Re: Panel Truck Insulation
MiraclePieCo #1305441 Sun Mar 31 2019 04:56 PM
"Hey! I sound like Darth Vader!!
I used that silvery bubble-y stuff. I wish I would've used the 3M stuff I used everywhere else. I might go back in one day and do just that!

MiraclePieCo #1305486 Sun Mar 31 2019 10:03 PM
M
Shop Shark
Well today I got my answer: YES, it's absolutely necessary to cover the entire roof of panels and Subs with insulation! It was a mere 72-degree day and my roof was too hot to touch from the inside. Panel truck roofs are so large that insulation becomes much more crucial than for pickups. It was sweltering! I guess I'll have to not scrimp on interior insulation....

1951 Chevy Panel Truck
MiraclePieCo #1306924 Sat Apr 13 2019 09:12 AM
C
Shop Shark
On anything with large surface area we use Lizard Skin. On pickup cabs Dynamat or bubble foil is okay but for heat and sound control where you want easy application and 100% coverage Lizard Skin is the best. A bit pricey but I put it in the same category as what Sreele is to rubber---you get what you pay for.

Evan
MiraclePieCo #1308098 Mon Apr 22 2019 09:13 AM
W
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by miraclepieco
Well today I got my answer: YES, it's absolutely necessary to cover the entire roof of panels and Subs with insulation! It was a mere 72-degree day and my roof was too hot to touch from the inside. Panel truck roofs are so large that insulation becomes much more crucial than for pickups. It was sweltering! I guess I'll have to not scrimp on interior insulation....

I have painted the outside of the roof of my '57 Suburban white: it makes an amazing difference in temperature inside: Parked in the sun, it used to be that I could not touch the roof inside it was so hot; now it just gets lukewarm. I knew the theory (white reflects heat) but experiencing it was an eye-opener!
It seems the OP was talking about noise though, and yes, the roof of my Suburban is like a big drum: something I thought would help (but never got around to doing) would be to "stuff" something (rubber?...) between the roof skin and the roof crossmembers to prevent the skin from "flapping" and making noise.
My Suburban, which is usually parked outside, gets a lot of condensation inside the roof, so something that does not react to humidity (or soaks it up) is a must.

'57 Chevy Suburban sometimes towing a 1950 24ft Spartan trailer; '70 Chevy Impala.
MiraclePieCo #1308352 Wed Apr 24 2019 02:46 AM
D
Wrench Fetcher
I used a product made by the makers of Lizard Skin on the inside of both the roof and firewall, then put Lizard Skin over it in accordance with the manufacturers recommendations. I also put the Lizard Skin on the walls and inside the doors to further reduce noise. Can’t recall the name of the other product but it had ceramic particles suspended in it to reduce heat transfer. Worked great. The sound created by tapping on the roof went from a ringing to a thunk.

MiraclePieCo #1308366 Wed Apr 24 2019 06:06 AM
B
General Purpose
I had a tech tip for a long time here under "Tech Tips/Interior". The tip is gone. The Tip Was: On one of my suburbans, I used magnetic sign vinyl. Cut it and just stuck it on. No glue, no nothing. did not want to glue anything. You never get it off. The vinyl will last forever. Water proof, wipe it off with a damp cloth. Not the best sound deadening I guess but looks good and easy to install. Any color is available. I used white. Had to slip each piece under the bows using plastic spatulas and plastic tools.

Attached Files
000_0006.JPG (248.67 KB, 393 downloads)
000_0005.JPG (108.84 KB, 397 downloads)
DSCN0080.JPG (421.2 KB, 401 downloads)
DSCN0642.JPG (390.25 KB, 381 downloads)

Watch out for careful drivers!!!
I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

wave1957 #1308368 Wed Apr 24 2019 08:19 AM
M
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by bartamos
On one of my suburbans, I used magnetic sign vinyl. Cut it and just stuck it on. No glue, no nothing. did not want to glue anything. You never get it off. The vinyl will last forever.

Now were thinking outside the box! I too am reluctant to slather the inside of my pristine interior walls with goop.

Originally Posted by wave1957
I have painted the outside of the roof of my '57 Suburban white: it makes an amazing difference in temperature inside.

I like the "paint it white" idea, but unfortunately my truck is black so I think it wouldn't look right.

1951 Chevy Panel Truck
MiraclePieCo #1316187 Mon Jul 01 2019 05:29 PM
C
Shop Shark
Quietride website has insulation and headliners for the panels and subs.

Still trying to get ole Betsy back on the road.
MiraclePieCo #1316196 Mon Jul 01 2019 07:51 PM
ace skiver
Thanks for the post, Craig

Quiet Ride has an interesting catalog, and a lot of nice looking products.

However, I think it has confusing title-listings for 54/55st years, and confusing descriptions for 54/55st products (sometimes referring to 1953 In the descriptions).

I might try the 54/55st Suburban “headliner” panels. If I do, I’ll report on the fit.

If anybody buys products, please report back here on the fit/finish.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com [1954advance-design.com]
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban [stovebolt.com] - part of the family for 49 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic [1954advance-design.com] - part of the family for 15 years
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engines are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler. [chevy.oldcarmanualproject.com]
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  tclederman 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop