The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (D$TROYER, 52Carl, KEVINSKI, Jeff Meng, coilover, 1 invisible), 348 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,443
Posts926,239
Members42,439
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
1957 Chevy 4400 Resurrection/information. #1314550 Sun Jun 16 2019 11:19 PM
A
Alex Valle Offline OP
New Guy
Hello,

I was recently told by a friend of mine that if I can get his '57 chevy 1.5 ton truck running he will give it to me for free. It is rough but complete. It will need some oxy acetylene work no doubt. Theres a good list of questions I have regarding the truck.

Some back story is that he blew up the engine that was in it, a stovebolt six and got a donor engine out of a '54 chevy 3/4 ton truck. He couldn't get the trans to mate to the engine so he gave up and its sat for about 16 years. More than likely the pilot bearing from the donor engine isnt matching up to the trans input shaft.

Will the motor he got bolt up to this trucks motor mounts?? Where on the engine are the boses for the motor mounts??

My guy said it has a four speed in it. What trans do I have? Its has a big hand brake looking lever attached to it right of the shift stick with a cable running up to the shift stick.

How do I tell what displacement the six cylinder is? Theres casting numbers on it I can get.

Im having trouble going to O reillys for parts because there isnt an option for '4400'. What do you guys put in to get parts for your Big Bolt trucks?

Is there a diagram for where the oil lines go to the external filter to the block?

Whats the point gap for this six? Its at .017 right now.

I know itll need a master cylinder without a doubt. As soon as I hear that engine run good and its not knocking I will put the time into making it drivable. Its got a bed on it that would be good to haul my '63 rambler back home. Its also pretty cool.

Thanks in advance.

Re: 1957 Chevy 4400 Resurrection/information. [Re: Alex Valle] #1314588 Mon Jun 17 2019 04:31 AM
3B Offline
Master Gabster
Hy Alex Valle, welcome, that is a lot of questions for your first post. The transmission should be an SM420 you will have to swap bellhousings, put the 57 engines bellhousing on the 54 engine. In order to remove the bellhousings you will have to remove the clutches and flywheels from both engines, because there are bellhousing bolts behind the flywheel. Check the front/sides of both engines, the 57 engine used mounts on the front/sides of the engine, the 1954 engine used a mount under the front of the engine, the bolt holes for the front/side mounts may not exist on the 1954 engine. If the engine is from a 1954 3/4 ton it should be a 235. The cable coming up the shifter is more than likely a shift cable for a two speed rear axle. Tell your F.L.A.P.S. that your need parts for a 4000 series or 40 series. The point gap for new points should be .016", hope that helps.

Re: 1957 Chevy 4400 Resurrection/information. [Re: 3B] #1314611 Mon Jun 17 2019 01:34 PM
A
Alex Valle Offline OP
New Guy
Thank you for the detailed reply this helps a lot!

I have both bell housings on hand. I spent most of yesterday cleaning up the starter and freeing up a couple of stuck valves lol.

Did GM use any daye codes or anything on the block/bell housing? Hard for me to tell which ones of the '54 or '57.

Re: 1957 Chevy 4400 Resurrection/information. [Re: Alex Valle] #1314664 Mon Jun 17 2019 09:25 PM
3B Offline
Master Gabster
Hy Alex Valle, If you are sure your are dealing with a true 1954 bellhousing and the stock bellhousing for the 1957 truck then they should be very close to identical. 1954 was the first year that the bellhousings got an angled mount on the bottom of the bellhousing, the previous design the mount was perpendicular to the ground.

Re: 1957 Chevy 4400 Resurrection/information. [Re: 3B] #1314709 Tue Jun 18 2019 01:57 AM
A
Alex Valle Offline OP
New Guy
I will check. One bell housing has a circle cut out on the driver side. The other is solid in that area.

Correct me if im wrong, but it looks like theres a manual brake on the transmission. Theres a circular brake clutch enveloping the U-joint covering. Is that what that is?

The pull knob on the shift stick goes to a box on top of the trans on the driver side drivers with hoses going into it. Then it travels towards the rear axle. This truck is set up with hydraulics to lift up the bed. Theres an axle running from the trans to the rear axle as well.

Did these trucks have brake boosters? Theres the MC under the drivers seat then a brake line goes to this other box that looks like another master cylinder with a big ol vacuum hose running to it.

Re: 1957 Chevy 4400 Resurrection/information. [Re: Alex Valle] #1314716 Tue Jun 18 2019 03:03 AM
M
Mike B Offline
Shop Shark
Scrap the paint and gunk off of the machined flat surface next to the distributor and tell us what the stamped number code is for both motors.

Mike B smile

Re: 1957 Chevy 4400 Resurrection/information. [Re: Alex Valle] #1314724 Tue Jun 18 2019 04:56 AM
A
Alex Valle Offline OP
New Guy
Theres only one motot Mike.

One bellhousing has a circle cut out on the drivers side and one doesn't.

On the transmission theres a brake/clutch looking thing. Is it a manual brake or something?

Re: 1957 Chevy 4400 Resurrection/information. [Re: Alex Valle] #1314749 Tue Jun 18 2019 02:33 PM
3B Offline
Master Gabster
Hy Alex Valle, I'm afraid we're having a terminology problem here, pictures of the bellhousings would help a lot. The part at the back of the transmission you're describing is the parking brake. Yes the truck left the factory with a frame mounted Brake booster, the "Hydrovac" is where the line from the master cylinder goes, then the lines go out to the wheel brakes from the "Hydrovac". You are describing the vacuum two speed axle control that the cable on the transmission shifter goes down to. I think in order for us to help you best, you should take and post pictures of both the bellhousings in question. I believe now that you have made four posts you should be able to post pictures

Re: 1957 Chevy 4400 Resurrection/information. [Re: Alex Valle] #1314755 Tue Jun 18 2019 02:47 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Alex, as 3B mentions above, terminology is important when dealing with old iron. Everyone has this issue at one time or another even the most knowledgeable of us forgets what a certain part is called. Even different parts of the country/world call parts by different names. Bonnets/hoods and trunks/boots comes to mind. There are online manuals available for most every Stovebolt ever made. Bookmark the one closest to your particular truck and refer to it for proper terminology when needed. Photos help us to identify parts and problems, so read through the image posting instructions found in the left margin of every page on the site. If you need help just ask. I had a 4100 grain bed truck several years ago so I know what you are dealing with. Cool project for sure.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: 1957 Chevy 4400 Resurrection/information. [Re: Alex Valle] #1314861 Wed Jun 19 2019 01:36 PM
A
Alex Valle Offline OP
New Guy
I will post some pictures when I get home from work today. Thanks a lot so far guys.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  69Cuda, Grigg 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop