The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
7 registered members (Quindel54, Redwelter, Riptide23, Rich'sToys, BigBlockMan, 1 invisible), 254 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,216
Posts915,257
Members42,199
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Possible frame swap? #1314510 Sun Jun 16 2019 04:07 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online OP
Boltergeist
Has anyone here considered using a Dodge Dakota frame and suspension under a stovebolt truck? Coilover's thread about a 6-lug Trailblazer rear end got me to thinking- - - - - most Dakotas also have 6 lugs, with a different bolt pattern than old Chevys, but some of them are also approximately the same length and width as a stovebolt. They have disc brakes, power rack & pinion steering, V6 or V8 power, overdrive, even positraction on some models- - - -and a rectangular-tube frame that could have the wheelbase altered pretty simply if necessary. I've gotten 200K+ miles from two Dakotas, a 92 and an 02, with the same 3.9 Liter V6 engine, with a minimum of maintenance.

Yes, I know, the idea of a MOPAR/Stovebolt hybrid might give some GM purists a case of the dry heaves, but I believe it might be worth considering!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Possible frame swap? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1314522 Sun Jun 16 2019 05:20 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey
I have considered it since seeing a couple done a few years back at the Spring Nationals in OKC. They were done by 2 different professional Hotrod shops. One from Texas and one from Kansas. Both done very well.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Possible frame swap? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1314540 Sun Jun 16 2019 08:32 PM
C
coilover Offline
Shop Shark
We have not done this swap but did put a new wiring harness in one done by the owner. Also put one under a 53 Ford PU. Both were a nice looking conversion when finished. The Dakota is wider, a plus, and the steering box is in a better location. A search on "AD to Dakota chassis" will give a lot of hits. I would choose it over an S10 but the market support for the S10 swap is way bigger. Also the Dakota was offered from factory with a V8 which even if going to a sbc the base unit would already be for a V8.

Evan
Re: Possible frame swap? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1314541 Sun Jun 16 2019 08:53 PM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
I happened on a shop called Code504 in Seward, Nebraska on my road trip. They specialized in S10 swap kits, but may be able to provide some info on a Dakota conversion, or may have done one. I stopped because they had some AD cabs sitting outside, so checked to see if they had any parts for sale that I could use. They didn't, but sent me to Watt's Repair and Salvage in Wymore, NE where I did find some good stuff. Code504's website is www.Code504.com. Might be worth contacting them.

Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Yes, I know, the idea of a MOPAR/Stovebolt hybrid might give some GM purists a case of the dry heaves

grin

Last edited by klhansen; Sun Jun 16 2019 08:55 PM.

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Re: Possible frame swap? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1314555 Mon Jun 17 2019 12:31 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online OP
Boltergeist
Now, Evan- - - - -talking about putting a SBC in a MOPAR chassis- - - - -that's really nauseating!
LOL!
Jerry

Re: Possible frame swap? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1314568 Mon Jun 17 2019 01:29 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Now, Evan- - - - -talking about putting a SBC in a MOPAR chassis- - - - -that's really nauseating!
LOL!
Jerry

I could live with that, as long as the engine, and outside sheet metal is all Chevrolet. Nobody knows what a Dodge frame looks like.

Re: Possible frame swap? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1314587 Mon Jun 17 2019 04:22 AM
Q
Quindel54 Online
Shop Shark
I have seen articles in the past on using a Dakota clip on an AD ftrame. Also a bolt on( or weld on,cant remember) kit uising Dakota parts. That might be an easy way to aproach it.

Re: Possible frame swap? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1314616 Mon Jun 17 2019 02:13 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online OP
Boltergeist
Given the option of choosing between some sort of Rube Goldberg matchup of a MOPAR front clip and a GM rear frame, and using the entire Dakota frame, I think I'd err on the side of trusting the Chrysler Corp. engineers to get it right over some hotrodder's Budweiser-fueled pipe dreams. Even the so-called "professional" chassis butchers don't have the R&D facilities of a major auto manufacturer.
Jerry

Re: Possible frame swap? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1314771 Tue Jun 18 2019 05:38 PM
C
coilover Offline
Shop Shark
My experience with small block Mopars is the 318 is very good, the 340 was my all time favorite, and the 360 does not meet the bar set so high with the bullet proof slant six. Even the old wavy valve cover 318 was a better engine than the 360 IMO. The Dakota came with the 318 so if good, run it.

Evan
Re: Possible frame swap? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1314787 Tue Jun 18 2019 07:39 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online OP
Boltergeist
Both my retired Dakotas have 3.9 liter V6's, which are basically 318's with two cylinders lopped off. They've got throttle body injection and pushrod operated valves- - - -pretty simple, basic transportation. Add an overdrive transmission that's more or less an upgraded Torqueflite, and things get even better. My 59 Burb that was originally slated for a 472 Cadillac and a Turbo 400 might have a different future coming up!
Jerry

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop