So this is my first post. I've had my1950 3100 with a 6v 216 for 3 years.
In that time I've done plenty of work on it but it's been running and driving the whole time.
So 2 months ago it stalled on me after driving for about 30 minutes. Had never done that before. It was flooded. I ran the battery dead trying to get it started. The next day, on a full battery, it started right up and ran fine for a short drive around the neighborhood. Got home and parked it. Hasn't ran since.
Figured it was still flooding so since I was gonna open up the carb to check the float I figured I'd rebuild it.
I ordered a rebuild kit from mikes carbs, followed every online video I can find.
I found the check ball and spring next to power piston jammed into the power plug ( had the wrong size ball in there) also the air-fuel mix screw was chewed up like someone really cranked down on it. Ordered and replaced those parts and have fiddled with this thing for weeks but can't get a jet of fuel into the manifold.
The acc pump is doing its thing and pumping fuel past the check ball under the "T" but when I put it al together I get nothing.
In my limited experience after rebuilding our carb for similar reasons, it's either the check balls are not correct or missing, the plunger is not sealing or stuck (are the plunger springs correct?), or possibly the top hat of the carb is warped too much and not sealing.
I put the larger steel check ball under the "T" on the Acc Pump discharge, the smaller with the power piston behind the power plug and spring. The acc pump seems to be doing its thing but i can't speak to whether the carb body is warped. That's on the list to check.
So i found my problem with my carb. The jet off of the acc pump discharge was blocked. Someone had installed the "T" that holds the check ball and spring in a fashion that blocked the jet. I had to run a small 1/16 drill bit in to remove some the material and then used a tip cleaner for a cutting torch to push through the jet hole and open it back up. She pumps fuel like intended now.
Of all the videos and step by steps I've watched, i haven't seen anyone note that jet. The cut away diagram is what finally turned me onto the problem.
Thank you Treydrummer. I rebuilt a Rochester yesterday that had been sitting for a few years. I cleaned it well twice and still couldn't get it to pump. After seeing your post I opened it back up again and sure enough, the tee was turned the wrong way and had a little metal blocking the passage. I opened it up and viola it started pumping. Got to hear it run for the first time this evening.
I have been struggling to figure out for months what's going on with my truck and after reading your OP, it was my problem down to a tee! I followed your instructions exactly as noted and just got back from a 30 mile drive, trouble free! I cannot even begin to thank you enough for sharing your trouble and solution, it's finally allowed me to enjoy my truck again with confidence!