The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Some light reading

ENTERTAINING ADVENTURES

In the Stovebolt Reading Room

A little light reading
OR
Epic stories of old tin hunting!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 registered members (dschmit, bluesman, baldilocks, Cosmo, 66flea, 1 invisible), 384 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,367
Posts938,490
Members42,915
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
E3 Spark Plugs #1313757 Sun Jun 09 2019 07:34 PM
A
Apache1 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Are these plugs superior to any distant technology we grew up with...such as AC Delco, Champion, Auto-lite..etc.? The NHRA boys claim they run these in their 10K+hp nitro machines. Shoot, they ought to be good enough in the small mills we're running. The multi spark design must be allot more efficient and cleaner burning....less fouling.

Thoughts/comments.

1959 Apache 3100 Fleetside SWB (Shop Truck) (modified)

Re: E3 Spark Plugs [Re: Apache1] #1313763 Sun Jun 09 2019 09:14 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
Trick spark plugs have been around as long as the 60+ years of doing auto repair that I can remember, and long before that, I'm sure. I think P.T. Barnum was a spark plug salesman, wasn't he?
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: E3 Spark Plugs [Re: Apache1] #1313775 Sun Jun 09 2019 10:26 PM
A
Apache1 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Trick or technology Jerry...they both start with a "T" brother. Do they in fact out perform, are they the next best thing. Ignition systems have come a long, long way since P.T. Barnum. The truth is the spark is only as good as the voltage supplied, regardless.

Last edited by Apache1; Sun Jun 09 2019 10:30 PM.

Re: E3 Spark Plugs [Re: Apache1] #1313792 Mon Jun 10 2019 12:39 AM
G
Gord&Fran Offline
Shop Wrasse

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Re: E3 Spark Plugs [Re: Apache1] #1313800 Mon Jun 10 2019 01:47 AM
G
GeneBrink Offline
Wrench Fetcher
Good one, Gord! One thing I've noticed when there has been an improvement in function it takes no time at all for the major brand manufacturers to come out with their version utilizing the same technology hence everyone has copper, platinum in their spark plug line up (and iridium for almost everyone now). Multiple electrode plugs have been around for over 50 years but, if memory serves me correctly (becoming problematic as the years add up) I don't remember any of the major manufacturers jumping on that bandwagon. Must be a reason, right?

Re: E3 Spark Plugs [Re: Apache1] #1313804 Mon Jun 10 2019 02:39 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
Somebody who's going to solve all my problems by selling me something- - - - -spark plugs or snake oil- - - -need to be tarred and feathered and run out of town on a rail! Airplane engines have been using spark plugs with multiple ground electrodes for decades. If it was really as big of an improvement as the snake oil guys say, why don't the auto manufacturers install them at the factory?

"There's a sucker born every minute!"
P.T. Barnum

"Never give a sucker an even break!"
W.C. Fields

LOL!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: E3 Spark Plugs [Re: Apache1] #1313805 Mon Jun 10 2019 02:39 AM
A
Apache1 Offline OP
Shop Shark
That guy wore me out....whew!

Re: E3 Spark Plugs [Re: Apache1] #1313813 Mon Jun 10 2019 03:15 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
I'm just glad that he talks fast. If he talked like someone I know from east Tennessee, I'd be up all night watching a YouTube video. smile
Incidentally, they both are relaying the same conclusion about spark plugs.
In my opinion, spark plugs are just a small part of what is involved in having an engine which will run optimally as designed.
Modern engines run nearly forever compared to the engines we are playing with. It is not because of the spark plugs. It is due to computer controlled everything.
Continuous timing adjustment. Spark knock sensors to prevent detonation at all times.
Variable valve time and lift technology.
Continuous fuel/air delivery adjustment. (fuel injection).
The combination of all of these provide a very precise delivery of a clean burning combustion.
A 1960 lawnmower spark plug would remain clean in one of these modern engines.
Conversely, put a platinum or iridium spark plug in one of our half worn out 216 "tractor" engines, and you will not see them remain clean for 200,000 miles.
Carl

Re: E3 Spark Plugs [Re: Apache1] #1313839 Mon Jun 10 2019 12:26 PM
A
Apache1 Offline OP
Shop Shark
Have to say you have a point. Another sensitive subject in the books.

Re: E3 Spark Plugs [Re: Apache1] #1313853 Mon Jun 10 2019 01:28 PM
S
SmithLakeChevy Offline
Shop Shark
Apache1,
I know that you said this one is in the books but I would like to share some real life experiences concerning “new” spark plugs. Back in the early 80’s my local FLAPS dealer recommended that I try some “new” marine spark plugs for my outboard motor on my Orlando Clipper (he was probably out of the one’s I needed). I believe they were “surface gap” plugs. I know that Champion makes them now, but I can’t remember for sure what these were. Long story short, they left me stranded far from the dock (no Boat US or cells back then) on two different occasions. I could not figure it out on the first break down so I took it to my local Marine shop and they assured me that everything was in good shape. Well, the second breakdown was much further from the dock (a real adventure story) so I took it back to the shop. They found the problem by running the motor in a tank for about an hour and then finally traced the problem to the spark plugs. The plugs worked fine when the engine was cold and they did not show any problems until about 45 minutes in the tank (it would not crank back up after shut down). Those “new” plugs made for some interesting experiences (adventures) on the water.
SLC

1954 3100 w/Hydra-Matic

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop." and "To know what you know and what you do not know, that is true knowledge." - Confucius
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop