The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 registered members (Barnfind49, Bill Trotter, 78buckshot, Alex Arrow, DanCoyro, Donsz, 1 invisible), 369 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,472
Posts926,449
Members42,443
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Printer recomendations #1313732 Sun Jun 09 2019 02:28 PM
Tiny Online OP
Global Mod
My old faithful printer is starting to show it's age. For probably 15 years I've been using an HP895Cse and have loved it. It prints fast and prints photo quality images. I stopped by the computer department in Wally World this morning and all they have are all-in-one printers which I don't need or want. I have a flat bed scanner. A search on line returns tons of differing opinions and mostly printers that have tons of bells & whistles that I don't want. Also I'm suspicious of on line reviews anyway. So here I am. I'm looking for a good ink jet that prints good quality documents and the occasional photo on glossy paper. It doesn't have to be blazing fast or have wifi. It needs to have a dependability track record. Having a built in scanner is a mark against it. What say you all?

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
Re: Printer recomendations [Re: Tiny] #1313762 Sun Jun 09 2019 08:58 PM
W
WE b OLD Online
Master Gabster
I have an HPoffice jet 3830 and it has worked fine for me, it also is wireless if you want. And you know if I can use it, it is simple to use.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: Printer recomendations [Re: Tiny] #1313766 Sun Jun 09 2019 09:43 PM
V
Volfandt Offline
Shop Shark
I had to replace my lighning hit HP Officejet with a compatible Canon about a yr ago, the Canon is no where as dependable and trouble free as the HP was.
Don't know about a plain jane printer but HP would probably be better in that category too.

Re: Printer recomendations [Re: Tiny] #1313783 Sun Jun 09 2019 11:36 PM
Tiny Online OP
Global Mod
Ron, did you have to buy into their refill service? Some of the reviews are complaining about being forced to subscribe. Also does it have wired connection. I'm planning to use it on my old desktop computer that doesn't have wifi. I couldn't find a definitive answer.

Re: Printer recomendations [Re: Tiny] #1313790 Mon Jun 10 2019 12:22 AM
Justhorsenround Online
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Tiny, research HP Desk Jet 1112. Not a recommendation but it seems to meet your requirements.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Printer recomendations [Re: Tiny] #1313795 Mon Jun 10 2019 12:49 AM
W
WE b OLD Online
Master Gabster
No refill service. This what I have.' It has been about 3 years and I think it will work wired. Also at Amazon and they mention the print plan.Main functions of this HP color inkjet photo printer: copy, scan, fax, wireless printing, AirPrint, touchscreen, Instant Ink ready so you'll never run out of ink, and more
Mobile printing: print from anywhere using your smartphone or tablet with the free HP ePrint app, easily print from your iPhone with AirPrint, print even without a network using Wireless Direct printing
Print laser-quality documents and lab-quality photos from your smartphone or tablet
Optional quiet mode helps keep noise to a minimum
Choose an ink replenishment service - Save up to 50% with HP Instant Ink or Save 10% on all reorders with Amazon Dash Replenishment. With Dash Replenishment, your printer detects when you are low and places a smart reorder. No subscription fees.
Designed to fit your life: Save your space with a compact all-in-one designed to fit on your desk, on a shelf, or anywhere you need it
Paper sizes supported: Letter; legal; 4 x 6 in; 5 x 7 in; 8 x 10 in; No. 10 envelopes
One-year limited hardware warranty; 24-hour, 7 days a week Web support
Compare with similar items. It reads like only wireless.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: Printer recomendations [Re: Tiny] #1313796 Mon Jun 10 2019 12:58 AM
W
WE b OLD Online
Master Gabster

The HP Officejet 3830 is an all-in-one inkjet printer with scan and copy functions, an automatic document feeder and built-in faxing. It works with Windows and macOS. The multi-color ink cartridge must be replaced when a single color runs out. The capacity of the main paper tray is 60 sheets, rather small. It can accept paper up to 83# basis weight, much heavier than what's typical. There's an automatic document feeder to let you copy or scan a stack of pages in one operation. The printer has a medium-size 2.2-inch display screen with a touchscreen interface. You can connect directly to a PC with a USB cable, or to your network router wirelessly with WiFi. This model has built-in faxing, can store incoming faxes if the paper runs out, and can send faxes from an attached PC. It can access the Internet directly, using downloadable 'apps' stored in the printer, letting you print information from news and entertainment services. When setup for use, the HP Officejet 3830 requires a space that measures 11.3 inches high by 17.6 inches wide by 22.9 inches deep. This says you can connect with a USB cable.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: Printer recomendations [Re: Tiny] #1313799 Mon Jun 10 2019 01:02 AM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist
"Use the HP Officejet 3830 All-in-1 Multifunction Printer Color in the home or workplace to fulfill your documentation needs. It not only prints spreadsheets, photos and more, but can also create scanned digital copies or send faxes. Wireless capabilities allow for connecting the inkjet multifunction printer to a WiFi network and for printing from devices like smartphones and tablets. It can also be connected to a wired network or directly to a PC. This printer offers efficient rates of up to 8.5 pages per minute as well as a quiet operating mode."

From the HP listing:
HP OfficeJet 3830 All-in-One Printer
"Connectivity, standard 1 Hi-Speed USB 2.0"
$100

$58 Amazon - cheaper elsewhere

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 48 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 14 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Printer recomendations [Re: Tiny] #1313832 Mon Jun 10 2019 11:38 AM
Tiny Online OP
Global Mod
Thanks guys. The size looks to be a bit of an issue. 22" deep will be a challenge for the spot my printer sits. I'll have to do some thinking.

Re: Printer recomendations [Re: Tiny] #1313901 Mon Jun 10 2019 09:42 PM
E
Ed Blouch Offline
Shop Shark
The problem with the ink jet printers is if you don't use them often the cartridges will clog, sometimes you can clean them and they will work other times you have to replace. I switched to a laserjet a few years back due to this. I can get a lot more prints for the money.
Laser printers are a little more expensive but I feel the quality print is much better.

Ed

Re: Printer recomendations [Re: Ed Blouch] #1313907 Mon Jun 10 2019 10:06 PM
G
Gord&Fran Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Ed Blouch
The problem with the ink jet printers is if you don't use them often the cartridges will clog, sometimes you can clean them and they will work other times you have to replace. I switched to a laserjet a few years back due to this. I can get a lot more prints for the money.
Laser printers are a little more expensive but I feel the quality print is much better.

Ed

Yes, I agree. Ink jets are troublesome. My laser printer works when I need it. Sometimes Fran wants to make prints in color. I told her to print her drafts on the laser printer. When she is ready for color prints, she puts the images on a USB stick and goes to Staples. I understand that some people may prefer to deal with a messy, troublesome, inkjet printer rather than their spouses.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Tiny, Volfandt 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop