The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 members (Harold46, 9% grade, Est2rad customs, Hotrod Lincoln, Ga92009, 1 invisible), 224 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,033
Posts961,335
Members43,542
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
What would be the minium you would like to have on a new truck.
#1313395 Thu Jun 06 2019 11:58 AM
W
Master Gabster
I am sitting here watching a video on a Model A, bare minimum, thinking what would I give up on a new truck. On my truck, I have a/c cruise stereo, and on my new car not much it does not have. For sure I would get rid of the infotainment center. power windows, power seats, backup camera. I am sure there are other things.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Re: What would be the minium you would like to have on a new truck.
WE b OLD #1313400 Thu Jun 06 2019 12:44 PM
Shop Shark
I like all the bells and whistles on our new Tacoma Off Road.
It even has an Off Road cruise control!

Don

Of all the things I've lost in my life, I miss my mind the most!

1967 GMC 9500 Fire Ladder Truck
"The Flag Pole"
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pix on Photobucket
'46 2-Ton grain truck
'48 3/4-ton grain truck
'50 2-ton flatbed
'54 Pontiac Straight Eight
'70 American LaFrance pumper fire truck.
WE b OLD #1313447 Thu Jun 06 2019 10:25 PM
W
Master Gabster
I just got back from a short trip, 60 miles, taking a friend to her last radiation cancer treatment and definitely need A/C and radio.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
WE b OLD #1313477 Fri Jun 07 2019 04:29 AM
F
Fox Offline
The greatest teacher failure is.
I’d like a new bare bones truck but that just can’t be had anymore. No power windows, Sears, cruise, abs, etc etc. Ac is nice but the weather up here in Alberta only has a few stretches where it is actually needed. There’s a snowfall warning here tonight...June 6. Bloody snowfall warning.

My nephew last year climbed into the old one ton and asked me, “Uncle? What are those?”

The window rollers. He’d ever seen them before!

In the Stovebolt Gallery [stovebolt.com]
More pictures here [photos.app.goo.gl]

1951 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- rusted
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban—rusted.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
WE b OLD #1313478 Fri Jun 07 2019 05:11 AM
J
J M Offline
Shop Shark
I have a 2005 Chevrolet 1500 4x4 regular cab, long box work truck with manual windows no cruise control. It has ac, radio, 5.3 engine, 4;11 positraction rear end rear end, and engine heater. It is just a basic truck but it is perfect for me. It was just about half the price of the fancier trucks. I don't think I could buy one today that would fit my needs as well as this truck does.
Jim

WE b OLD #1313488 Fri Jun 07 2019 11:22 AM
W
Master Gabster
My theory is that all the upholstery and padding in new vehicles are the culprit in the heat build up. My 54 has a/c but in the 12 years it has been installed I have never used the a/c, I turn it on once a month to keep the fluid circulating. I have made a round trip of up to 1400 miles never needed it. I open the floor vent, the driver's window and the back slider window.

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
WE b OLD #1313504 Fri Jun 07 2019 01:14 PM
V
Shop Shark
I dunno, I likes the creature comforts of my 98 F word.... The AC, instant start and no idle problematic fuel injection, automatic, P/S, PB, those nice comfy captains seats, flick of the wrist 4WD and I especially like the new head unit that has blutooth and handsfree telephone'n that I can hear whilst traversing down the road....

But then again, theres something theraputic and empowering to climb in an old bare bones basic truck that all the controls, adjustments and operating procedures are handled by ones very own brain housing group. Just to start it requires setting the manual choke, giving the required amount of pumps of the carb, selecting neutral in the drivetrain, engaging the parking brake if not already engaged while simultaniously depressing the stomp starter pedal with the right toe while slightly depressing the throttle pedal and the right heal. Then slowly selecting the correct amount of choke to get going quicker.
All the while observing the gauges to make sure the ammeter shows charging, theres oil pressure registering, the temp is rising and you have enough fuel to get to and fro. You then are tasked to manually select the correct gear inorder to hit the correct cruising speed while maintaining proper momentum and fuel economy. All this without any radio while hearing varying degrees of low and high pitched wind noise because you've got every window and cowling vent open so as to keep the interior temps tolerable.
Steering is powered by ones own power as is the braking, in both cases one has to think ahead inorder to implement effective procedures....
Yeah, it's still a joy to drive such a bare bones machine.

But if'n I'm dropp'n the long green for a new incarnation of the simple work truck, gimme the creature comforts LOL....
Dave

WE b OLD #1313540 Fri Jun 07 2019 06:02 PM
D
Shop Shark
Fox, I had a similar experience with my 2 grand kids. 4 and 7. I wish I had never told them what the window cranks are. They love climbing in and around my truck. Every time they get in it they roll the windows down. It wouldn't be a big deal but I sometimes don't know they rolled the windows down until I find them down after a rain.

The only modern addition I would like on a truck would be sound deadener. It can get pretty noisy going down the road in my stock 54 3100. I can do without the rest of the stuff and like it simple.

I wonder what some of the answers would be if this question was presented to a group of original owners years ago when the AD trucks were rolling off the production line? After all, they were Advanced Design. Newest technology of the day for a pick up truck.

I don't need a one piece windshield.
Who needs an electronic turn signal?
Why would I need a radio in a truck?

Last edited by dgrinnan; Fri Jun 07 2019 06:05 PM.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
WE b OLD #1313557 Fri Jun 07 2019 09:13 PM
Master Gabster
I will give you a list of what I don't need:
1) a blinker switch that I cannot figure out how to make it work properly, or shut off without making the opposite blinker light to come on.
2) a gear shifter which looks exactly like a heater knob right beside the heater knob.
3) an automatically locking tailgate which happens to also unlatch the tailgate allowing it to slam open once reaching the magic speed.
4) endless number of sensors which fail which make the check engine light to come on. I have never had a check engine light come on due to an actual engine problem.
5) a windshield wiper switch arm where the column shifter belongs.
6) daytime running lights which cannot be disabled.
7) auto-locking doors which do not allow the passenger to get in or out.
ocho) dash lights which stay on long after the ignition is shut off, or cannot be shut off while the ignition is on.
9) an automatic transmission which does not have a dipstick or any other way to check the fluid level or condition, nor a way to add fluid.
10) a headlight bulb which requires the removal of the entire grill to replace.

52Carl #1313604 Sat Jun 08 2019 03:59 AM
R
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by 52Carl
5) a windshield wiper switch arm where the column shifter belongs.

7) auto-locking doors which do not allow the passenger to get in or out.

5. When we first got our Equinox last summer both my wife and I on more than one occasion unconsciously reached up and turned the windshield washers on, even though we knew full well that the shifter was on the center console! .

7. Agree that it is a pain to have to shift to park every time I drop my wife off at church!

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

Life is like a roll of toilet paper--the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop