The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
1 members (themmer), 118 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,460
Posts965,505
Members43,679
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Engine siezed, rotated freely 3 months ago, what is cause?
#1312132 Tue May 28 2019 01:06 AM
J
Joe S. Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Dear Friends: I brought a used 235 engine 6 months ago. It has all the accessories installed. I stored it upright in a climate controlled garage. There was oil in the crankcase. The crankshaft turned freely using just the fan and I last checked it 3 months ago. When I started to work on it this week end, , the engine is locked just as if it were bolted. Turning the damper with a pry bar fabricated for the purpose will not budge it either way, not a fraction. I pulled the pan and it is beautiful under there with an oil film covering everything. I pulled out the distributer and gear and removed the spark plugs and liberally sprayed in penetrating oil.

What could be causing this?

Best regards,

Joe.

Last edited by Joe S.; Tue May 28 2019 01:09 AM.

'49 3100 "Sweet Caroline" because the truck has fabulous curves .... like Caroline!
Re: Engine siezed, rotated freely 3 months ago, what is cause?
Joe S. #1312133 Tue May 28 2019 01:17 AM
H
Boltergeist
Piston rings rusted to the cylinder walls, and/or valves seized in their guides. Pour a few ounces of Diesel fuel into all of the cylinders, and loosen the valve adjusting screws a couple of turns each. If the flywheel is still bolted to the crankshaft, use the chisel-shaped end of a long shepherd's crook wrecking bar between the starter gear teeth and the edge of the bellhousing. You can get a lot more leverage on the crankshaft that way, and you'll probably break the rusted rings loose. While you're at it, figure out a way to pry the rocker arms down against the valve stems a little. That will determine whether or not you've got seized valves. I'm betting on piston rings.

No matter where an engine stops turning, there will be a few valves open. This allows air (and humidity) to cycle in and out of those cylinders as the temperature changes. Next time you store an engine, put a few ounces of motor oil into all the cylinders, and then plug off the intake and exhaust manifolds or the ports in the head with duct tape to keep air from getting to the cylinders.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Hotrod Lincoln #1312138 Tue May 28 2019 01:39 AM
J
Joe S. Offline OP
Wrench Fetcher
Thanks Jerry, you have helped me a lot on this build.

'49 3100 "Sweet Caroline" because the truck has fabulous curves .... like Caroline!
Joe S. #1312168 Tue May 28 2019 12:22 PM
E
Shop Shark
One of the benefits? of living in the 'rust belt.'

Ed

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
'55 GMC 370 w/270, 420 4 speed, grain, dump bed truck from ND. Works OK.
Joe S. #1312182 Tue May 28 2019 02:09 PM
P
Master Gabster
Sometimes mice will get into the cylinders and have a potty break. There pee is very corrosive.

See the USA in your vintage Chevrolet!
My Blog

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop