Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Raider, I think (and I could be wrong) you will find most folks don’t come to the Project Journals to answer questions. This forum is for “Blog” type posting of what you did and how you did it. Your questions will get better response when posted in the appropriate garage forum. BTW, I’ve been through the frankenbuild a few times myself. It can be a real challenge. Good luck.🛠
Martin '62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress) '47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project) ‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2) ‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)
"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one! Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!
So not a huge update as I have been on the road for nearly 2 weeks. But I got my carb rebuilt last night. Rockauto dropped the ball though and didn't send me the correct intake/exhaust manifold gasket so I don't think I will be taking those off before I get it running again. I am having a hard time picking a direction to go in with my build at the moment. For right now I just think I am going to get it reliable for the summer and then plan a full body off for the winter.
Well I found what was a complete mess in the cooling system. So I flushed it out a few times, eventually just running the truck with a hose hooked up to it and the block drain pulled. Tried to clean it out as best I could. Then i installed a new water pump, thermostat, and shot blasted and painted the pulley,fan, and water neck. I have a rule that even if its temporary, if I pull something off it gets cleaned and painted before getting bolted back on. Makes me feel better anyway. I also installed a mini tac. Have no fear, I drilled no holes and spliced no wires to mount it up. I wanted to get a sense of where the truck was at for tuning purposes.
Last edited by RaiderGT; Thu May 23 2019 02:06 PM.
Turns out new water pump was a poor casting and the dimensions are wrong so the pulley grinds against the pump body when running. So all that has to come apart again. Started messing with the doors to see how bad the damage was. Realized the old weatherstrip is doing nothing but holding water in so that got 86ed. Found some bondo over rust in the rocker steps. Ground everything down and shot over it all with some rust reformer. This isnt permanent. This is just to stop the bleeding until it all comes apart for a proper redo.
Hey, I know its been a minute but the project is still moving! Been crazy busy with work on-top of having 4 more bikes roll in the shop.
I finally got a functioning semi appropriate exhaust on the truck. The Manifold was broken off at the mounting flange. Off came the carb again along with the intake and exhaust manifolds. A new repro manifold was sourced. Both were shot blasted and painted with POR High temp Manifold paint. Ive used this before with decent success. Works a lot better then the spray on stuff by VHT just take good prep and patience in application. New felpro gaskets installed. I got a universal GM flange kit from summit, along with a walker midpipe for a 1962 C10, and a cherry bomb glass pack. Once again this is really only a temporary setup just to make the thing drive-able.
Next up, wiring. A got a full replacement fused harness and I am gutting every thing. Tired of looking at the mess. Not to mention the fact that I have a draw on the system.
After researching wiring kits I have come to the conclusion that they are pretty much all the same. Different names and re sellers but all the same stuff. I bought a 21 circuit unit off the bay and got to work. To supplement it I also bought wiring loom, a bunch of weather proof 12 pin connectors, ect. I also determined that this would be a good time to put in a radio and update the instrument cluster.
Wow it has been a minute since I have been in here. The truck has come a long way but it is a slow uphill battle. Everything electric works like it is supposed to now. Well mostly. My speedo is off and my gas gauge reads full all the time. I figured out it does not match the resistance of my sending unit like was promised. An indicated 35MPH is about 52MPH. The truck got a bunch of metal work and a new bed. I also picked up a v8 for the engine swap. I got an appropriate 6 lug 12 bolt rear end that I rebuilt to match the 6 lug front. No more mismatched wheels and tires. Speaking of which, that will be my next bridge to cross.