The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (darthintel, Gray_Ghost, bluesman, Hotrod Lincoln, Donsz, 1 invisible), 365 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,237
Posts927,693
Members42,590
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Please help me figure out what offer to make on this truck - 1936 #1311673 Thu May 23 2019 06:13 PM
Z
zracTA Offline OP
New Guy
You may have seen my post elsewhere on other forums, but then I discovered stovebolt that seems to specialize in these old trucks so I figured I'd reach out here as well, I Hope this typo of post is ok.

I am looking for guidance on a reasonable offer to make on this truck, it is 1936, 1 owner (by a company) and spent most of its life indoors. Last moved sometime in the late 80s because engine's crank supposedly snapped, now I don't know how common that issue is for a crank to snap in these old motors? but that could be anything from actual bottom end issue to nothing or anything in-between. I've done no work on it so that's all the info I have. It was last "restored" by the company in the 80s which included a repaint and I'm not sure what else. The original manual is still in the glove box, I may be able to dig up even the original purchase paperwork.

body seems completely rust free, paint quality is ok, some pieces of paint chipped off, it won't win any car shows as-is, few minor dings from equipment being backed into fenders or whatnot over the decades that it sat inside.

Other than non-running nothing seems to be at least leaking out of it, amazing that for sitting there for decades the cement is clean

Interior is nice, no rats nests that I've seen, but dirty/old/filthy/plain and dusty. Usable condition.

What do you think it's worth in the as-is non running condition assuming it needs engine replacement/rebuild?

Thank you!! I just don't know the value of these old trucks, I see rust buckets on ebay for $1500 and restored ones for $50,000, not a lot for sale in the "driver but non running" quality.

[img]https://i.imgur.com/VeBs8iR.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/HgOA0QY.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/SoKPZIZ.jpg[/img]

[img]https://i.imgur.com/o2AE7vW.jpg[/img]

Re: Please help me figure out what offer to make on this truck - 1936 [Re: zracTA] #1311676 Thu May 23 2019 06:54 PM
Justhorsenround Online
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Personally I wouldn’t give over $6500 knowing you re going to spend north of $2000 on the motor. It is about a $12000 Truck running and driving looking as it does now. JMO

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Please help me figure out what offer to make on this truck - 1936 [Re: Justhorsenround] #1311677 Thu May 23 2019 07:20 PM
Z
zracTA Offline OP
New Guy
thank you, how difficult is it to get your local machine shop to rebuild a 207 pre-war motor? I've only ever dealt with your run of the mill 350's. I can find few 235's that supposedly bolt in easily enough but even that is slim pickings, 1st world problems I guess that come with pre-war antiques smile

Re: Please help me figure out what offer to make on this truck - 1936 [Re: zracTA] #1311678 Thu May 23 2019 07:33 PM
Justhorsenround Online
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
zracTA, welcome to Stovebolt.com. Please read through all the Forums to make sure you are posting your questions in the best spot for expert answers. Also, please take the time to read the thread at the beginning of General Truck Talk about why posts are edited, moved or deleted. For now I’m going to leave your engine question here since it is sort of tied to your initial post.

Not just any machine shop will touch a pre-war engine. Those that do it well are not cheap. Check around with your local Antique Car Club and see who they use. If you end up paying to have it done expect to double my estimate from my first post. Also, a 235 is not just a bolt in Swap in a ‘30s truck. It looks like a great project.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Please help me figure out what offer to make on this truck - 1936 [Re: zracTA] #1311679 Thu May 23 2019 07:36 PM
E
EdPruss Offline
Shop Shark
How is the title? Does it match the engine SN or body SN? What do they want for it? I could not open the px, however, engines and running gear are relatively easy to repair, tin is very labor intensive, rust can be a deal breaker. Sounds like the tin is good, that is a great head start. Is there any history of the truck-not worth much, help bond with seller.

Ed

'37 GMC T-18 w/ DD 4-53T, RTO-610, 6231 aux., '95 GMC running gear, full disc brakes, power steering, 22.5 wheels and tires.
'47 GMC 1 ton w/ 302, NP-540, 4wd, full width Blazer front axle.
'54 GMC 630 w/ 503 gasser, 5 speed, ex fire truck, shortened WB 4', install 8' bed.
Re: Please help me figure out what offer to make on this truck - 1936 [Re: zracTA] #1311681 Thu May 23 2019 07:49 PM
Z
zracTA Offline OP
New Guy
title will be... interesting... the state it's in does not require title for anything of this age so it's not a real show stopper, they may or may not have it. I will look at it closely soon to check serial numbers and engine casting numbers. They are going to ask for best-offers on the truck so there's no number being floated around (yet?) as I suspect no one is really aware of what it's worth. No real rust that I can see anywhere. The $6500 floated above seems like a solid price point, but as suggested I think I need to find out what an engine rebuild will really cost so that's my next research project smile

Re: Please help me figure out what offer to make on this truck - 1936 [Re: zracTA] #1311743 Fri May 24 2019 03:20 AM
M
Mike B Offline
Shop Shark
Welcome to the Stovebolt wave

I think $6500 would be a great price, but don't be surprised to see a Street Rodder's snatch it up for about $10k They'll pay top money for rust free straight sheet metal...

How much of the work will you be doing in-house?

Mike B smile

Re: Please help me figure out what offer to make on this truck - 1936 [Re: zracTA] #1311747 Fri May 24 2019 03:34 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
Dings and pieces of paint chipped off, filthy interior, as well as suspected major engine damage would drive the price down for me. You cannot simply find a crank and throw it in there to make it run. A broken crankshaft pretty much means that the engine is now essentially a boat anchor.
It has been "restored", so it is not considered original any longer. A big minus for me as well.
I would offer $4,000, but would not pay more than $5,000.
Carl

Re: Please help me figure out what offer to make on this truck - 1936 [Re: Mike B] #1311777 Fri May 24 2019 12:23 PM
Z
zracTA Offline OP
New Guy
greatly appreciate the info, 4-6.5 is a great range I'm comfortable with. If I happen to get it my goal will be to get it driving and stopping ASAP and see what its value is then, then decide whether I want a long term project if I like it that much or if it will end up someone elses hands. Oldest car I've owned was a '71 and I mostly mess around with 80s/00s muscle cars so this is a whole new territory for me.

Re: Please help me figure out what offer to make on this truck - 1936 [Re: zracTA] #1311781 Fri May 24 2019 12:48 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
If it's a 1936, you've probably got a 1st. year of production 216, not a 207. That's a good thing, as people give 216's away in running condition just to get rid of them. I've got several of those "freebies" stashed away. If you're not interested in having a "numbers-correct" show truck, just about any stovebolt six from the late 1930's to early 1950's will be almost a bolt-in swap. The engine in the photo is definitely a 216 or newer- - - -the 194's, 207's, etc. look considerably different.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop