The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
20 registered members (3B, 5 Window 9434, 1953 panel, 4100 Fire Truck, 48bigtrucks, '54 3600, 1 invisible), 330 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,184
Posts923,877
Members42,363
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
floor shifter conversion #1311189 Sun May 19 2019 09:07 PM
B
Big duff Offline OP
New Guy
I am thinking about switching from 3 on the tree to a 3 speed floor shifter in my 56 pickup. The linkage for the column shifter is not reliable. I don't mind popping the hood now an again to tweek the linkage but it limits where I go. I don't want it to lock up in a bad spot. Has anyone had experience with this? Iguess I am wondering how labor intensive it is. Thanks in advance for any tips.

Attached Files
IMG_20190519_165319.jpg (304.55 KB, 120 downloads)
IMG_20190519_165253.jpg (387.57 KB, 118 downloads)
Re: floor shifter conversion [Re: Big duff] #1311205 Sun May 19 2019 11:45 PM
L
lynngrove Offline
Shop Shark
In my '53, they swapped out the transmission, putting in a granny 4-speed with stick shift.

The old column mounting shift linkage was left in place, they just cut off the column shift lever with a grinder. My Dad had a big ring of keys hanging from the stub. LOL

'53 3100 5-window
'57 Mercury Monterey 2-Door Sedan
Tim H
Re: floor shifter conversion [Re: Big duff] #1311265 Mon May 20 2019 03:28 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Most floor shift conversions for 3 speed transmissions put the shift stick in an awkward position and require you to butcher up the floor pan pretty badly. Unless you do some creative fabrication to the shift lever, you'll usually end up with the stick tight against the front of the seat cushion, making 1st. and 3rd. gear hard to engage without modifying the bench seat or installing bucket seats. Try to find a good condition Hurst Dual Pattern shifter at a flea market or a swap meet. Some of the shifters produced by Mr. Gasket or some of the overseas copycats are pure junk, and they'll make you wish you had you're moderately flaky column shift back. Considering the cost and hassle involved, I'd recommend rebuilding the original shift linkage.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: floor shifter conversion [Re: Big duff] #1311268 Mon May 20 2019 03:33 PM
R
rfs56trk Offline
Shop Shark
My suggestion would be to first look at what is causing the problem. There are some wear points that can be repaired and bushings that can be replaced. Check to see if there is grease in the shifter control box and adjust the linkage.
I believe there are still some aftermarket 3 speed floor shift conversions available. Also some used units providing the're not worn out.
You could just be replacing one problem with another one.
Fred

Re: floor shifter conversion [Re: rfs56trk] #1311297 Mon May 20 2019 08:37 PM
B
Big duff Offline OP
New Guy
I have had no luck finding replacement linkage items for the column(bushings or otherwise). All i find is the bushings from off the trans itself. Any sources.?I did clean out and regrease the housing. Not sure how to adjust it. It seems like a common problem with this type of linkage. Any tips would be appreciated greatly. Thank you

Re: floor shifter conversion [Re: Big duff] #1311298 Mon May 20 2019 08:47 PM
Justhorsenround Online
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Repairing the shift system requires a bit of mechanical skill. Not overwhelming but you must be pretty meticulous. Welding up elongated holes and redrilling levers. Replacing components inside the shifter box on the column. Get a repair manual or Chiltons for your truck. Procedure will be outlined there. Parts are available from all the usual old truck outlets.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: floor shifter conversion [Re: Big duff] #1311458 Wed May 22 2019 12:40 AM
G
glenns towing Offline
Shop Shark
Another thing to pay attention to is the motor and trans mounts. I found in my 51 Chevy 2 dr sdn that drivetrain movement will contribute to missed and hard shifting. Just something else to look at. I have a 261 with a 235 head in it. Still using and loving the 3 on da tree. I actually broke a front motor mount. Replaced it and chained motor. I also drilled through both trans mounts and put a grade 8 bolt through em. Made all the difference in the world.Good luck. Dont overlook obvious issues. I usually find out the hard and more expensive way..

Moderated by  SWEET 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop