The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 registered members (bartender, Gray_Ghost, DennisM, Hotrod Lincoln, D B Cooper, Greg_H), 289 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics116,112
Posts923,268
Members42,338
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
How often to check spare tire pressure? #1311331 Tue May 21 2019 12:27 AM
C
cmayna Offline OP
Shop Shark
OMG, Today I got off my backside and checked the truck's tires pressure and all 4 were only 4-5# on the low side. The spare though contained only 50% of what it should.
Why? I never check the spare for it's under the bed, outa sight,,,,,,outa mind. When I had the '53 with a side bed spare tire carrier, that tire was loved....... grin

So, to you all, don't forget your spare tire!!

Craig's '50 Chevy 3100 5 window
My truck
If I'm not working on my truck or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Re: How often to check spare tire pressure? [Re: cmayna] #1311335 Tue May 21 2019 12:59 AM
G
Grigg Offline
Probably should every time you check the four on the ground. Or at least before heading out on a long trip.. that's when I check them.

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Re: How often to check spare tire pressure? [Re: cmayna] #1311345 Tue May 21 2019 01:44 AM
M
miraclepieco Offline
Shop Shark
I check the spare on my daily driver at every oil change. That probably isn't often enough for my AD since I only change the oil in it once a year.

Here's something every driver should carry - seals AND inflates:

Attached Files
01229201.jpg (17.56 KB, 139 downloads)

1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Re: How often to check spare tire pressure? [Re: cmayna] #1311361 Tue May 21 2019 04:10 AM
G
Grigg Offline
I heard recently it also makes a mess of wheels and can damage wheel and or tire if not removed and cleaned.
Here's about all I could find about that on their site https://www.fixaflat.com/us/faq-faq-how-long-does-it-work.php

If that's true it might be cheaper and faster overall to take the time to deal with a flat or low tire in traditional ways, more air, plug and or patch, or even use the spare.

1951 GMC 250 in the Project Journals
1948 Chevrolet 6400 - Detroit Diesel 4-53T - Roadranger 10 speed overdrive - 4 wheel disc brakes
1952 Chevrolet 3800 pickup
---All pictures---
"First, get a clear notion of what you desire to accomplish, and then in all probability you will succeed in doing it..." -Henry Maudslay-
Re: How often to check spare tire pressure? [Re: cmayna] #1311362 Tue May 21 2019 04:23 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
Fix-A-Flat ruins tires. The chemicals in it make it impossible for a patch to stick, no matter how deeply the rubber is buffed, or what kind of glue or solvent is used. Use it for emergencies, but be aware you'll have to replace the tire once you get wherever you're going.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: How often to check spare tire pressure? [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1311365 Tue May 21 2019 08:19 AM
M
miraclepieco Offline
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Fix-A-Flat ruins tires. The chemicals in it make it impossible for a patch to stick, no matter how deeply the rubber is buffed, or what kind of glue or solvent is used. Use it for emergencies, but be aware you'll have to replace the tire once you get wherever you're going.
Jerry

Have you actually ever used Fix-A-Flat, because that hasn't been my experience at all. I've used Fix-A-Flat about a dozen times. It's never caused any problems with subsequent patches. It's never stained my wheels. It's never dissolved my tires. It's never clogged my valve cores (the product Slime does that and I'm afraid that's where many of these erroneous rumors come from). I've used it in everything from my 4x4 to wheelbarrows to trailers to airplane tires. Twice it fixed the tire so good that I never got around to a "real" fix. You hook up the can to the valve stem, it seals the hole and inflates the tire in about 15 seconds, then you go get a permanent repair. No getting out the jack, no crawling around in the dirt and rain, no lugging a heavy dirty spare, no stuck lug nuts, etc etc.

But I understand how something that works this darn quick and easy is inevitably bound to have skeptics, so I'm prepared for the typical onslaught of internet horror stories from someone who read about a guy, who knew a guy, whose brother worked for a guy, who had a friend, who..... ;-)

1951 Chevy Panel Truck
Re: How often to check spare tire pressure? [Re: cmayna] #1311386 Tue May 21 2019 01:40 PM
C
cmayna Offline OP
Shop Shark
I just want others to learn from my laziness. Check your spare more often than I have. Amen...

Craig's '50 Chevy 3100 5 window
My truck
If I'm not working on my truck or VW camper, I'm fishing with the wife or smoking Salmon.
Re: How often to check spare tire pressure? [Re: cmayna] #1311389 Tue May 21 2019 02:11 PM
53 green 1- ton Offline
Shop Shark
Craig,
I'll help get this back on track...…. Spare tires need air? ohwell Guess what I have to do? dang

Jim Schmidt.
Bucks County, Pa.
Pix in Photobucket
Re: How often to check spare tire pressure? [Re: cmayna] #1311401 Tue May 21 2019 03:49 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
How about managing a road service and tire shop for 20-something years and teaching hundreds of high school kids how to service tires safely for 30 years after that- - - -is that enough reason to speak from experience? Fix-A-Flat ruins tires!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: How often to check spare tire pressure? [Re: cmayna] #1311402 Tue May 21 2019 04:04 PM
53 green 1- ton Offline
Shop Shark
Boy'z,
Can we stop with the hissy fits? Geez, it was a question made to have some fun with. Keep your ego's to yourself. The rest of us want to sit back and enjoy this site without getting the hair of my neck standing up!
Enjoy the day!
Jim

Jim Schmidt.
Bucks County, Pa.
Pix in Photobucket
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Justhorsenround 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop