The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 registered members (Cosmo, 51sub, jerryschevyparts, matthews940, 2 invisible), 319 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics116,116
Posts923,317
Members42,345
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: anti-freeze in crankcase [Re: DaveV] #1311230 Mon May 20 2019 02:08 AM
truckernix Offline
Master Gabster
Just to comment on the jets. When looking at the face of the head, those are little copper inserts in some of the coolant feed holes. They do little more than affect the flow pattern. Did you have any unusual noises? If that internal line isn't correctly located, it can be bumped by a pushrod.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Re: anti-freeze in crankcase [Re: DaveV] #1311240 Mon May 20 2019 10:58 AM
D
DaveV Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks for input Truckernix. No unusual noises. Today I'm going to re-torque head and adjust valves. Got to try something

Re: anti-freeze in crankcase [Re: DaveV] #1311241 Mon May 20 2019 11:27 AM
X
Xena Offline
Shop Shark
Something to consider, and I have encountered it in the past, is that the leak is from a crack that opens up when the engine reaches full operating temperature. The metal expands when heated, and contracts when it cools and can "close" a crack to the point that it will only leak a minimal amount which could not be noticed by a quick pressure test. Have you tried getting the engine up to operating temp with the cap off and then doing a pressure test?

"It's time to kick the tires and light the fires"
Re: anti-freeze in crankcase [Re: DaveV] #1311324 Mon May 20 2019 10:47 PM
D
DaveV Offline OP
Shop Shark
What you're describing makes sense. No I have not run it again. Still have the oil pan off. I'm a little bothered by a few things that I'm seeing with this rebuild. I might have the owner take it back to the shop that did the work. Thanks for your input Dave

Re: anti-freeze in crankcase [Re: DaveV] #1311329 Tue May 21 2019 12:00 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Going back to the original rebuilding shop for a second bite at a possibly rotten apple might not be the world's best strategy. Very few people know how to rebuild Babbit-rod engines, particularly when it comes to scraping rod bearings for the correct fit and setting up oil clearance with shims. Aiming the spray nozzles for proper connecting rod lubrication above idle speed is also a vitally important procedure.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop