The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 registered members (55 SHAKER, 48bigtrucks, beltfed, 3 invisible), 322 guests, and 1 spider.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics116,133
Posts923,468
Members42,352
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Putting in a new radio- where's this wire go? #1311314 Mon May 20 2019 10:00 PM
S
showme Offline OP
Shop Shark
Finally getting around to hooking up the radio I put in a couple months ago (I've been wearing ear buds with my ipod for 5 years, so I'm use to not having a radio), and I'm not sure where to hook the 'always on' wire. I've got the hot wire to the key switch on, but not really sure where to hook in the 'battery' wire. Seems to me the old radio was run to the light switch, but to which connection, I'm not sure. I bought what I thought was the simplest radio Classic Parts had that would fit the hole. http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL1373/13685773/24611517/414220386.jpg No cd player, analog dials, no frills but a plug for auxiliary. Anyway, can somebody tell or show me a pic of where I need to hook this wire up? Thanks, Lee

Re: Putting in a new radio- where's this wire go? [Re: showme] #1311341 Tue May 21 2019 01:27 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
You can connect the 'always on' wire to the 'always hot' screw on the ignition switch.

Re: Putting in a new radio- where's this wire go? [Re: showme] #1311350 Tue May 21 2019 02:58 AM
J
jorb Offline
Shop Shark
It depends on what the voltage of your truck is.

If the truck was converted to 12 volts then you connect the Red accessory wire to the ignition switch coil wire terminal.
When you turn the key ON, that will internally energize the Yellow wire for main system power during standby and full On.

The Yellow always on' wire is connected to the hot side of the ignition switch terminal or any 12 volt voltage terminal that stays 12 volts all the time.
The Yellow wire is for main system power during standby and full On and to maintain clock time and radio station presets.

You could use a toggle switch on the Red accessory wire rather than going through the ignition switch.
If you wired it that way, you would be able to turn on the radio without also energizing the truck's ignition system.
If these trucks came with a accessory position on the ignition switch, there would be no problem.

If you do not remove 12 volts from the RED accessory wire the Head Unit remains ON or in a standby mode which will result in the battery to drain.

For more insight and if you have a 6 volt truck read this Install Tips 12 volt CD/Radio in a 6 volt vehicle with diagrams attached.

Re: Putting in a new radio- where's this wire go? [Re: showme] #1311400 Tue May 21 2019 03:26 PM
S
showme Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks guys! That's what I was looking for. I've not been in a big hurry because I know I won't be able to hear it anyway when I'm on the highway, but now at least it will be available. Much obliged. Lee

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop