The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
15 registered members ('54 3600, Gazz, dhjmd, carryall jerry, dougs, Barnfind49), 320 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics116,096
Posts923,071
Members42,329
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
anti-freeze in crankcase #1311098 Sat May 18 2019 11:17 PM
D
DaveV Offline OP
Shop Shark
Helping a friend with a 48 216 engine that he had rebuilt by a reputable machine shop 6 years ago and was only run then on a dyno. I'm putting the truck back together for him and started the engine up and after about 10 minutes the oil pressure started to go down to almost zero. I shut it down and drained the oil to find a lot of anti-freeze in the oil. I did fill the radiator the day before and ran the oil pump with a drill to get things lubed. Checked the oil dipstick before starting it and was normal. Can't figure out how the anti-freeze is getting to the crankcase. I pulled the oil pan off, filled the radiator back up with water and applied 5 psi to it and it's not losing pressure and no leakage in to the crankcase. Very confused. Any ideas. Thanks Dave

Re: anti-freeze in crankcase [Re: DaveV] #1311099 Sat May 18 2019 11:28 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
I only know of two mechanical ways coolant can get into the oil pan. 1. Blown head gasket. 2. Cracked block or head. 🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: anti-freeze in crankcase [Re: DaveV] #1311102 Sat May 18 2019 11:33 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
How much antifreeze is "a lot"- - - - -a quart, a gallon, or a few ounces? Was the oil milky-looking? Some 216's have a hard time maintaining any oil pressure at all at idle, particularly if they've been assembled with main bearing clearances a little on the wide side. Since the rod bearings aren't pressure-lubricated, they can be a little loose without dropping oil pressure. Not so with main and cam bearings! How much oil pressure did the engine have when cold and the pump being run by a drill motor?
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: anti-freeze in crankcase [Re: DaveV] #1311103 Sat May 18 2019 11:45 PM
truckernix Offline
Master Gabster
There is a very direct path on a 216 to let antifreeze into the crankcase. There is an oil line that goes from the oil distribution valve through the coolant passage in the block and out the other side under the side cover. Where the line exits the block under the side cover, the line is soldered to a fitting that is threaded into the block. If that solder joint isn't good or the line is cracked from trying to bend it into place, coolant will leak into the pan from under then side cover.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Re: anti-freeze in crankcase [Re: DaveV] #1311105 Sun May 19 2019 12:09 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Online
Boltergeist
Good point! Since the oil pressure is much higher than the pressure in the radiator, if the cross-block line has a problem I would expect to also see oil in the cooling system.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: anti-freeze in crankcase [Re: DaveV] #1311120 Sun May 19 2019 02:36 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
As much as it would suck if that through-the-block oil line is bad, it would represent the luckiest day of your life compared to other potential causes already listed.

Re: anti-freeze in crankcase [Re: DaveV] #1311133 Sun May 19 2019 06:32 AM
D
Dusty Offline
Shop Shark
I have recently done 2 repairs to 216 engines that involved fixing the oil feed line at the junction behind the push rod cover , surprising just how much coolant wept from a small crack in the fitting .

Re: anti-freeze in crankcase [Re: DaveV] #1311137 Sun May 19 2019 10:42 AM
D
DaveV Offline OP
Shop Shark
When I ran the oil pump with a drill, I had my neighbor watching the gauge in the truck. He said it climbed to more than half way on the gauge and I had oil coming out of the rockers so I assumed that all was good. Before starting the engine, I checked the oil and radiator levels and both were good. When I started the engine the oil pressure was 30 psi. By the time it reached 180 degrees it was down to about 5 psi. Pulled the oil drain plug and couldn't believe how much anti-freeze came out with the oil. At least 2-3 quarts. This system runs a 0 psi radiator cap. I pressurized the radiator to try to find the leak and it's holding pressure. Looking in the shop manual it talks about nozzle jets which direct water under pressure to cool the valve seats. Is it possible this pressurized coolant is somehow getting to the crankcase? Thanks for all of the input. Dave

Re: anti-freeze in crankcase [Re: DaveV] #1311145 Sun May 19 2019 01:15 PM
R
rickmg Offline
Shop Shark
My 1939 216 has 30 psi when starting cold. After it warms up it idles 5-10 psi and 15+ when driving. That's about normal for a 216. My engine runs great.

Reasons for anti-freeze in the oil

Cracked block
Cracked head
Cross over oil line leaking
Bad/wrong head gasket
Head not torqued down properly
Block/head surfaces not cleaned/machined properly

I had a Ford 1963 262 engine that had been rebuilt. While adjusting the valves with the engine running the oil turned milky. Retorqued the head. I drained the oil, replaced the oil filter and oil. Problem solved.

Rick

Re: anti-freeze in crankcase [Re: DaveV] #1311147 Sun May 19 2019 01:37 PM
D
DaveV Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks for the input Rick. Doesn't make sense that the radiator holds pressure when I pressurize it while not running. It appears to only leak in to crankcase while running. I will check and retorque head and start over with fresh oil and just water in radiator. Thanks Dave

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Woogeroo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop