The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
16 registered members (Eckroll, DennisM, 66flea, Dragsix, 2 invisible), 342 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,524
Posts926,913
Members42,462
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Clutch Adjustment Tips #1309533 Sat May 04 2019 05:54 PM
G
Gord&Fran Offline OP
Shop Shark
I have the read the manual about the clutch adjustment. i.e. loosen nut A, turn nut B until 3/4 to 1" free pedal travel...

To get the free pedal travel correct, you push the pedal with your thumb. The problem is that the return spring is stiff enough that I can't really feel how much free pedal travel there is. Maybe those more with experience adjusting these things can feel the difference. ohwell I tried adjustment by trial and error. Adjusting it the wrong way (away from the hook end) created horrible slippage. Adjusting it toward the hook end fixed that. Still, I'm not sure that I have it set correctly.

So, I'm looking for tips or tricks to confirm that the clutch is adjusted properly. TIA.

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Re: Clutch Adjustment Tips [Re: Gord&Fran] #1309544 Sat May 04 2019 08:14 PM
W
Wrenchbender Ret. Offline
Master Gabster
There should be a big difference between the free play & pushing in the clutch. You probable don't have any free play yet & are pushing against the pressure plate springs. Back the adjustment up some more till you can tell the difference. The exact amount of freeplay is not important. It is just necessary to have some so the TO brg. is not riding the clutch all the time. It will ruin the TO brg. & can damage the thrust brg. on the crank shaft.

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Re: Clutch Adjustment Tips [Re: Gord&Fran] #1309571 Sat May 04 2019 11:26 PM
G
Gord&Fran Offline OP
Shop Shark
thumbs_up
Yes, that fixed it. Thank you. I had to move the front nut forward about 3/8" which seems like a lot. Now on to the next issue...

Gord
----
1954 1/2 ton 235 4 speed
Re: Clutch Adjustment Tips [Re: Gord&Fran] #1310861 Wed May 15 2019 10:07 PM
B
Bdron Offline
New Guy
Having the same problem. I’m adjusting in a way that the pedal is moving in and out more and more but it still leans agains the TO bearing when the pedal just rests. I’m spinning the forward most but towards the front (hook end) and same with the back but (tightening).

Re: Clutch Adjustment Tips [Re: Gord&Fran] #1310878 Thu May 16 2019 01:28 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Take the lower sheet metal cover off the bell housing and look up at the throwout bearing while someone else manipulates the clutch pedal. It should be very obvious when the TO bearing pulls away from the clutch fingers. A badly worn clutch disc will require a lot of adjustment before that happens as the clutch fingers will move a long way toward the transmission as the disc wears.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Clutch Adjustment Tips [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1310898 Thu May 16 2019 01:56 PM
B
Bdron Offline
New Guy
That cover is off already and I noticed that no matter which way I adjusted, the fork still rides on the TO bearing. What I did notice is that the adjustment I made gave the clutch pedal more in and out freeplay but without holding the pedal back, it stays down. Thanks for the help.

Re: Clutch Adjustment Tips [Re: Gord&Fran] #1310916 Thu May 16 2019 04:07 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Is there a return spring on the pedal linkage? There should be a spring about 3/4" in diameter and several inches long that pulls the outer end of the throwout arm toward the front of the truck. There's sometimes a small bracket with a hole in it under one of the oil pan bolts that the spring hooks onto.
Jerry

Re: Clutch Adjustment Tips [Re: Gord&Fran] #1310923 Thu May 16 2019 05:29 PM
B
Bdron Offline
New Guy
That looks like the issue. No return spring. Thanks for the help. I’ll hsve to check and make sure that bracket is intact

Re: Clutch Adjustment Tips [Re: Gord&Fran] #1310946 Thu May 16 2019 08:37 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
If the bracket is missing, find anywhere convenient to anchor the spring. I've even seen them attached to an exhaust pipe stud with a second nut on it to form a makeshift groove for the spring to hook into. Universal clutch/brake pedal return springs are usually available at professional-level parts stores like NAPA, once you get past the young computer jockey who has to have a make, model, year, VIN number and paint color code before he says "we don't stock that part!"
Jerry

Re: Clutch Adjustment Tips [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1311044 Sat May 18 2019 03:26 AM
B
Bdron Offline
New Guy
Haha thankfully I have a good NAPA here. Thanks for the help Jerry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop