The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
12 registered members (BigBlockMan, GasHog, 4100 Fire Truck, fonz8261, '54 3600, 1 invisible), 332 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics116,183
Posts923,875
Members42,363
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: bed assembly and installation [Re: bluesman] #1310467 Sun May 12 2019 04:47 AM
B
bluesman Offline OP
Shop Shark
Thanks so much for the link to the photos. With the tape measure in there I at least have some idea of where the cross sills go.
That should help a lot when I start laying things out. I'm assuming that the bed sides somehow bolt to the ends of the cross sills, so maybe that will also help in lining things up. Although now I need to go down to the barn and take a close look at the bed sides.

Update!

I got out to the barn and looked at the bed sides, and they have holes along the bottom edge where the cross sills bolt on. I should have seen those earlier.

Tim

I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.

Tim
Re: bed assembly and installation [Re: bluesman] #1310530 Sun May 12 2019 10:18 PM
A
Apache1 Offline
Shop Shark
Wow, I would consider losing that boat anchor of a bumper and locate a non-industrial bumper. IMHO

1959 Apache 3100 Fleetside SWB (Shop Truck)

Re: bed assembly and installation [Re: bluesman] #1310532 Sun May 12 2019 11:12 PM
B
bluesman Offline OP
Shop Shark
Actually, I love the bumper. Not only does it look cool, wrapped around and tying into the fender, it has a good hitch spot, and a great place to stand on while loading/unloading stuff from the bed. And on a one ton, the weight is negligible.pports the

Plus, with the brackets for the tail lights it supports the back ends of the bed sides. (they aren't attached to the bumper in the photo, but you can see one of them hanging from the bed side in the top of the photo.

I'll attach a photo of them in place on the bumper as they are now.

Tim

Attached Files
rear lightsc.JPG (287.49 KB, 69 downloads)
Last edited by bluesman; Sun May 12 2019 11:18 PM.

I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.

Tim
Re: bed assembly and installation [Re: bluesman] #1310631 Mon May 13 2019 08:33 PM
A
Apache1 Offline
Shop Shark
On second thought keep the boat anchor (bumper)…it takes a 1 Ton to get it moving...LOL

1959 Apache 3100 Fleetside SWB (Shop Truck)

Re: bed assembly and installation [Re: bluesman] #1310635 Mon May 13 2019 09:46 PM
B
bluesman Offline OP
Shop Shark
Yeah, the one ton will pull just about anything, although very slowly. The other day I had it out running up and down my drive way (1/4 mile long) and got it up to nearly 4 mph in first! Luckily I don't plan on driving this on expressways, which we don't have around here anyway. I'd have to drive an hour just to find one.

Years ago, when I was actually driving this as my daily driver, we hauled about 2 yards of gravel for our road. It was sitting on the overloads and the rear rims were about 2" above the pavement. Didn't go very fast, and had next to no steering, but we got it home!

Tim

Tim
Re: bed assembly and installation [Re: bluesman] #1312468 Thu May 30 2019 01:31 PM
G
glenns towing Offline
Shop Shark
That was impressive. I didn't expect it to run. The winch on it is freaking sweet too.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop