The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 registered members (51Craig1Ton, cmayna, FootStomper, artron9, 2 invisible), 317 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,012
Posts912,547
Members42,077
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 1939 Restomod build [Re: Canadian_guy] #1305109
Fri Mar 29 2019 03:30 AM
Fri Mar 29 2019 03:30 AM
F
Fox  Offline
Shop Shark
Breton, Alberta
Steve,
It’s looking great! I really like the idea of the tie down strips running the length of the bed. I wish I had thought of something like that.

In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures here

1953 GMC 9430 1 ton dually—-Shiny!

1970 Chevrolet C10 - Grandpa’s- My first truck.—in progress to shiny
1972 Chevrolet C20- rusted
1970 Chevrolet K20 Suburban—rusted.
1950 Chevrolet 1300- in progress to shiny.

Parts trucks-
1951 GMC 9300
1951-GMC 9430
1951- Chevrolet 1300
Re: 1939 Restomod build [Re: Canadian_guy] #1305115
Fri Mar 29 2019 04:47 AM
Fri Mar 29 2019 04:47 AM
D
Dusty  Offline
Shop Shark
Canterbury , NewZealand
What a great job . Thanks for sharing the detail with us . This does help with my motivation to continue with my '37 build.

Your lovely truck definitely has a '40 front clip , the details are ; the top grill bar (chevrolet script) is deeper than '39 and goes right back to the edge of the nose cowl. The nose cowl is different also to allow for the top bar restyle . Then the grill has one less horizontal bar than '39 . The short headlights with sealed beams (first year for those). Park lights on the guards.

Here in NZ the '39 has round gauges , the '40 has the strip style , but that may just be a colonial thing smile .

The '46 is a gem and will look SO good out on the road .

Re: 1939 Restomod build [Re: Canadian_guy] #1305183
Fri Mar 29 2019 06:17 PM
Fri Mar 29 2019 06:17 PM
Canadian_guy  Offline OP
New Guy
Spruce Grove, Alberta, Canada
Hello;

Thank-you FOX for the encouraging words. I am sure it is a cliche', but if I had known how much work it was going to be...

Thanks Dusty, for the extra info on trying to determine the year. I think you are right, it is a '40. I searched up what I could on VIN decoding info, as the vehicle is Canadian the info from back then is a little spotty. From what I did find, I figured it to be a '39. Thanks, it will be good to have it registered correctly.

Re: 1939 Restomod build [Re: Canadian_guy] #1306883
Fri Apr 12 2019 10:35 PM
Fri Apr 12 2019 10:35 PM
Canadian_guy  Offline OP
New Guy
’40 Chev Truck Restomod update – April 12, 2019
Not too much to report for this week’s tour home, mostly I got the winter tires changed over to the summer’s on the daily drivers. That, and we got a room painted in the house! Super exciting, I know… Our oldest is serving in the Canadian military ( Armored ) and will be home for Easter, so Momma wanted to paint his bedroom before he arrives!
I did however get some good work done on the truck. I added a top support to the battery tray as it was a little too wobbly for my liking. Not that the tray was weak, it had more to do with the flex in the firewall. By adding the top support I think I accomplished 2 things; the first is that I was not happy with the plastic clip that held down the battery, it seemed out of place. And the second was to stiffen up the whole thing by adding in an addition point of contact.
I know I have mentioned the fuel tank before and thought I was mostly done with it. After spending 2 more days working on it I am on the fence whether a prebuilt one would have been a better choice. This was cheaper, and I got a custom tank that fits the truck perfectly in the space I want it to be, but darn what a load of work! Thinking about it now though, it just occurred to me that the fab work I was doing was mainly for the mounting bracket, which I would have had to do for a store bought tank as well…
Lastly, I got the Lokar shifter mounted. Nothing too difficult there but it was one of those things that were on the to-do list so I can check that off.
A cool tool that I have learned about recently that you may or may not have heard about is a rivet-nut. This is a handy alternative to fighting with small nuts or welding a nut to the backside of whatever you are trying to bolt to. It works pretty much the same as a standard rivet, except that the rivet-nut rivets itself to the metal rather than holding 2 pieces of metal together. Maybe it is just me, but I had never heard of them before and thought it worth mentioning. They work especially well with sheet metal and you can even add a support backer same as with a standard rivet.
If you are interested in more info, go to google images and search: “rivet nut”
Sorry, no pictures this time.
Anyways, that is all for now.
Later,
Steve

Re: 1940 Restomod build [Re: Canadian_guy] #1310278
Fri May 10 2019 03:38 PM
Fri May 10 2019 03:38 PM
Canadian_guy  Offline OP
New Guy
’40 Chev Truck Restomod update – May 9, 2019
Hello again all, and thank-you all for your continued interest.
I hope everyone had a good Easter; ours was nice as our oldest son was home, it was nice to be all together again.
I started this project keeping a journal of what I accomplished each day and the hours spent as well. I have been letting that slide for a while now to the point now where I am having trouble remembering just what I did this last go round!
As the cab and fenders were from a 1.5T and the frame is a ½ ton I had to do some work to the front cross member as it is forward of the radiator support about 1”. Since none of the holes lined up and the rad support was not supported properly, I cut out a section of the cross member about 6” long and 1” wide, then welded in a 2” wider support. That allowed the front clip to be levelled so the hood gaps are correct and everything is bolted secure.
The front fenders needed to be shortened so they would fit the ½ Ton running board height. Once the fenders were where they needed to be, I could mount the running boards and determine where to cut the fenders. I liked the way they turned out. They are only stitched right now and will require some hammer and dolly work, but they came together really smoothly. Once off the truck, I can complete the welds and grind for body working.
I also worked on prepping a few misc. parts and pieces for paint work. I have an opportunity at the shop in that I can have some parts ready to paint which can be mixed in with other parts being painted the same colour.
Anyways, that is all for now.
Later,
Steve

Attached Files
Re: 1940 Restomod build [Re: Canadian_guy] #1311845
Fri May 24 2019 10:42 PM
Fri May 24 2019 10:42 PM
Canadian_guy  Offline OP
New Guy
May 24 Update
Not much to report, I completed a few filler panels for the box sides which will tie the box into the running boards when completed. I have been unsuccessful locating a good set of used running boards to cannibalize, so Dean, my "GURU" played a bit with the pull-max and was able to recreate the beads in the original running boards. The next step will be to section the boards and "add" in the additional portions to tie the board into the rear fender and up to the box. The board will be curved to match the cab corner and will finish the look nicely!
Please see the attached word doc for a couple of pictures.

Later,
Steve.

Attached Files
Last edited by Canadian_guy; Sat Jun 08 2019 02:42 PM.
Re: 1940 Restomod build [Re: Canadian_guy] #1313536
Fri Jun 07 2019 05:41 PM
Fri Jun 07 2019 05:41 PM
Canadian_guy  Offline OP
New Guy
Hello again;

Thank-you for your continued interest in this “little” project!
I am not a writer by trade so I struggle with how wordy to be when writing these. The focus for the work completed was the running boards and rear fenders.
The running boards are original to the truck and are solid, but definitely showing their age. They had some dings and dents along the outer edges, minor considering their age, but i spent about 2 hours per running board to remove them. The mounting brackets welded to the underside were in tough shape, so those were removed and new ones fabricated and temporary installed. They are not on permanently, as I will need to locate the bolt holes and weld the bolts in prior to permanently welding them on.
The truck had a flat deck on it when I bought it, so the box you see on it is a reproduction, as are the fenders. The fenders are for a 1947-53 truck so I have removed the styling detail lip on the front of each fender to make them look a little more stock, and maybe confuse some of the purists I will meet once it is on the road. To remove the lip I had to cut and section the fender, then stitch it together. Depending on how the running board extension turns out I may need to remove some additional material so they are only stitched for now. Once everything is fitted up and confirmed as complete I will finish welding them and then try out some hammer and dolly work to smooth them out.

I have attached a few pictures of the progress, I took a few more than usual and I marked 1 up to show what the running board will look like once extended.

Coming up next will be completing the running boards…

Until next time, Steve.

Attached Files
Re: 1940 Restomod build [Re: Canadian_guy] #1313633
Sat Jun 08 2019 02:49 PM
Sat Jun 08 2019 02:49 PM
Canadian_guy  Offline OP
New Guy
Ha Ha! I figured out how to edit the title so the main thread on the project journal page shows 1940 rather than '39.

For anyone wondering, I bought the truck at auction, sold to me as a '39.
Some helpful folks pointed out the grill and fender lights which identified it as a 1940.
Since then I have attempted to change the thread title to 1940 several times and just figured it out now.

Small wins!
Steve

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  HandyAndy, John Milliman 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop