The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 registered members (Bdaily, Ecratrods, archburycontrol, 3 invisible), 288 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,749
Posts919,902
Members42,330
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Vent window bolt stuck #1310069 Wed May 08 2019 08:57 PM
S
Stove Offline OP
Shop Shark
The 1/2" bolt at the bottom of the vent window assembly is stuck. I have been spraying it with seafoam deep-creep for 3 days but it is still not moving. If anything, the bolt is beginning to turn with the nut.

Is the vent window channel likely to bend or break if I keep heaving on the bolt? It almost seems necessary to cut a hole in the door to remove this. I just don't see any other way.

Maybe it would be easier to replace the whole door than just the assembly.

Re: Vent window bolt stuck [Re: Stove] #1310106 Thu May 09 2019 02:51 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
See if you can fish a torch in there to add some heat. A small acetylene torch used for soldering would probably be doable. This torch only has a small acetylene tank (no oxygen) and a small hand piece on a hose.
I don't think there is room for a propane torch.
A buddy of mine just bit the bullet and cut an access hole through the inner door panel with a 1/16" cutoff wheel. Doing a neat job will allow you to easily weld the cutout metal right back in place.
Carl

Re: Vent window bolt stuck [Re: Stove] #1310225 Fri May 10 2019 01:47 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
I have seen a vent frame twisted around 3 times from a very ham-handed, yet dedicated person. Looked like fancy twisted wrought iron work. He finally broke the spot welded bracket off on the final turn. (Not me, By the way.)
The hard part with loosening really rust up ones is finding a way to hold the end of the frame while simultaneously turning the bolt.
I always replace the bolt with a stainless steel one.
Carl

Re: Vent window bolt stuck [Re: Stove] #1310247 Fri May 10 2019 06:24 AM
M
miraclepieco Offline
Shop Shark
Oh, you're talking about the BOTTOM bolt. Yeah, I had a stuck one too. You have to reach inside the door with a crescent wrench and hold the channel to keep it from twisting while you turn the bolt. Mine finally broke the bracket off, but I just welded it back on after removing the whole vent assembly.

1951 Chevy Panel Truck

Moderated by  48bigtrucks 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop