The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (Eureka Jim, buoymaker, 59 fleet, CrowbarBob, 55 SHAKER, 1 invisible), 159 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics121,045
Posts970,421
Members43,829
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Power Brakes You'd Recommend
#131019 Wed Jan 08 2003 04:47 AM
Shop Shark
Bolters-

I'm making some progress on my framebuild-up and am considering power brake kits. I have a frame with a grafted Nova front clip and Nova rear end. The front clip is about to get disk brakes and the rear has stock Nova drums. While others have discussed components (like proportioning valves), I wonder if you have any recommendations about which supplier you've used for the master/power booster components. Flipping through Custom Classic Trucks, I can choose from No Limit, MP Brakes, ECI, McGaughy's, RB's, CH Topping, TCI, and many others. If you've had any experience with any of these kits, please let me know.

With thanks in advance-
51 PhatBoy

Re: Power Brakes You'd Recommend
#131020 Wed Jan 08 2003 06:58 AM
J
Shop Shark
Most all of them will have what you need to complete this part of your project. You should call them and see who has the best tech support and check on prices. I had good luck with Master Power Brakes. You should also think about a brake kit, with all the right parts matched and set up for your application. It takes a lot of guess work out and you know it will stop when you are finished. Joe

#131021 Wed Jan 08 2003 07:09 AM
Shop Shark
Joe-

Many thanks fo your recommendation. At this point I feel good about the brakes, bu t they do feel like a rolling garage sale sometimes! Perhaps I can afford to upgrade in the future.

Cheers-
51PhatBoy

#131022 Wed Jan 08 2003 05:15 PM
J
Go with ECI and talk to Ralph he'll get you set up with what works

#131023 Thu Jan 16 2003 05:25 PM
J
Phat Boy:
Try Pickups North West, as far as I know they are the only ones who make a unit that will work with a standard trans. Master Power makes excellent conversions, and their quality of customer support is also excellent. I blieve that the MP units are designed for auto trans equipped vehicles but check with Carmen or Anwar at MP they really know their brakes. Also let whoever you're dealing with know if your truck is Drum-Drum, Disc-Drum, or Disc-Disc as each configuration may require a different master cylinder and/or proprtioning valve!!! For my 52 3/4 ton I used the Pickups NW conversion, on my other vehicles I've used the MP conversions.

#131024 Thu Jan 16 2003 07:24 PM
C
Shop Shark
Got mine from Classic Performance, with the valve, and it's working fine.
www.classicperform.com

#131025 Fri Jan 17 2003 12:52 AM
A
I haven't gotten mine installed yet because still dealing with the front end issues, however, I already popped for an ECI part. Namely because they were very helpful with my 1-ton and I think the provided me with a very good solution. The guys I talked to up there were very patient and knowledgeable.

I got a power boosted 1 1/8ths master - and its a small booster (7"). They told me that with the load of the truck it won't be like my car, but it will be better than manual brakes. I am thinking it will be good because I have these (as yet untried) kevlar brake shoes and the truck is about 1600 lbs lighter than it was originally.

#131026 Fri Jan 17 2003 03:17 PM
Shop Shark
Jim III-

My new set up will include a 350TH automatic transmission, but thanks for your advice. Many thanks to the restof you for your insight as well.

As I look into these systems, it seems like there are a lot of resellers and few manufacuturers, with the exception of MP, ECI and maybe Custom (CPP). Are they all designed the same?

With thanks,
51PhatBoy

#131027 Fri Jan 17 2003 10:27 PM
J
PhatBoy:
Since I haven't dealt with any Resellers/manufacturers other than Pickups NW and MP I can't tell you how different their units are.
I do know that MP is a manufacturer, and that their kits are all first rate. I know of one incident where a customer purchased a conversion from another source and wound up taking it to MP who got it all sorted out and working properly. Further, years ago MP started out as a remanufacturer, so they have beaucoup hands-on experience with brakes for just about any application. Let me know if you need any more help.
BubbaB52

#131028 Sat Jan 18 2003 11:25 PM
C
Shop Shark
51Phatboy,
An expert that used to post on this board (with a similar handle) pointed out that the firewalls on these trucks weren't made for mounting brake boosters and that some units had a tendency to crack the firewall after a time. He suggested a frame mounted unit with a remote reservoir. I already had mine so I'm sticking with it. From CPP, it has a 3/16" plate brace that ties the dash, firewall, and column all together. Triangulated as such, I don't anticipate a problem, but I will keep an eye on it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop