The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
6 members (coilover, 55 SHAKER, 1958_Apache, DS1957GMC, 3B, 1 invisible), 201 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,957
Posts969,687
Members43,802
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Other peoples skills
#1310022 Wed May 08 2019 11:50 AM
C
Shop Shark
Sometimes when we do things that fall within our bailiwick people will have that "oh wow" look when to us it's routine. Definitely not so with fiberglass work so when a 70 Blazer top was a disaster we were in panic mode since they are not available at any price. Salvation came from a customer, now retired, that used to own a fiberglass fabrication company that did mainly military contract work. Went to his home shop yesterday and the transformation is awe inspiring. Chunks broken out and missing now fixed with invisible seams, huge sags in top now level, missing one third of rear lift gate now there with perfect size window opening, and so on. Bill is going to run in the 4k range and owner is overjoyed.

Evan
Re: Other peoples skills
coilover #1310031 Wed May 08 2019 12:51 PM
Master Gabster
I worked in composites for 25 years. As you discovered, someone with the right skill set can work wonders repairing fiberglass. I can't tell you how many shade tree repairs I've seen. Having said that, the correct method isn't always obvious to those without the proper training so I try to not be too hard on them. At least they're trying to repair instead of just junking it.

Save a life, adopt a senior shelter pet.
The three main causes of blindness: Cataracts, Politics, Religion.
Name your dog Naked so you can walk Naked in the park.
coilover #1310035 Wed May 08 2019 02:13 PM
H
Boltergeist
While I consider myself to be a "jack-donkey" of all trades at times, it's still a lot of fun to stand back and watch a real professional work his magic! I learned a long time ago that there's a huge difference in "good enough" and "How did he do that?"
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
coilover #1310108 Thu May 09 2019 03:17 AM
S
Shop Shark
I recently met a lady who is a violin maker/repairer. She had to make a violin, a viola and a cello in her college class in England. Talk about skills and patience.
Then on Youtube I saw a video about Culver Propellers. Its about a company that makes wooden props for all sorts of airplanes. What I found very interesting is that it is run by a young woman who does all the work herself. Again I was impressed.

"Sedgewick"
1949 Chevy 1/2-Ton
1989 Caprice

coilover #1310110 Thu May 09 2019 03:57 AM
R
Shop Shark
I have always said that anyone who is good at what they do is fun to watch. Maybe it's a skilled pair of hands on a piano keyboard. Maybe it's a semi driver who backs a trailer perfectly into a loading dock on the first try. Or a carpenter who measures a board, cuts it once, and it fits perfectly. Or maybe a glass blower---you get the idea.
We all have our own gifts, and I am in awe of the ones others have which I don't.

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

Life is like a roll of toilet paper--the closer you get to the end, the faster it goes!

coilover #1310115 Thu May 09 2019 11:36 AM
P
Wrench Fetcher
I can do many things well but very poor at carpenter work. Growing up on the farm dad was very good teaching hands on many things but when it came to building something (carpenter) he would just send me out to do field work! Now at 70 trying to self teach myself!

Pops

Pops the truth is out there!
coilover #1310251 Fri May 10 2019 11:25 AM
C
Shop Shark
Pops,
Me and wood are not on the best terms either. The world I grew up in was if you make it too short just weld it back together and try again. Really like watching someone like a skilled cabinet maker. Years ago when Norm Abrams of This Old House was cutting out a huge round table top rather than finding some way of holding and rotating the giant piece of wood he simply put wheels on the band saw and walked it around in a circle. Jaw muscles are still tired from my mouth hanging open.

Evan
coilover #1310326 Sat May 11 2019 03:32 AM
Master Gabster
Yes, Norm Abrams. He always talked about his 3-way adjustable mortising jig.
Any time I make any type of tool with any moving parts, I refer to it as a "3-way adjustable mortising jig" no matter what it is for. I just enjoy saying it. smile

coilover #1310356 Sat May 11 2019 01:02 PM
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Norm is well known for his jig making abilities. I miss his skills on TOH. He’s still on but only 1-2 times a season.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe
USAF 1965-69 Weather Observation Tech (got paid to look at the clouds)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line"! Hug a cop!

coilover #1310375 Sat May 11 2019 03:09 PM
W
Master Gabster
I installed a new floor in my kitchen about 17 years ago but did not finish the trim until yesterday. At first, I did not have a miter saw, bought one 1 1/2 years ago, did the job in an hour last night, now wait to see how long it takes me to paint it. blush

Ron, The Computer Greek
I love therefore I am.

1960 MGA Roadster Sold 7/18/2017
1954 3100 Chevy truck in the Gallery
2017 Buick Encore
Pix on Photobucket
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bouncer, Justhorsenround, Tiny 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop