The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 registered members (D B Cooper, beltfed, coilover, Bob Giles, 2 invisible), 325 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics116,133
Posts923,466
Members42,352
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Electronic turn signals [Re: Grigg] #1309688 Sun May 05 2019 05:43 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
Originally Posted by Grigg
I wouldn’t bother... but one solution to this “problem” might be a time delay relay feeding the turn signals so after so many minutes they turn off until cycled off and start all over next time you turn them on.
You could use a traditional signal switch like the 900

Won't work. If it was that easy we would have solved it already.
As I said, I think I have solved it but would need a two bulb tail light.

"Solved IT".............."IT" is using a 900 style, period correct, column switch to operate turn signal lights with a self cancelling feature.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.

Re: Electronic turn signals [Re: coilover] #1309698 Sun May 05 2019 06:33 PM
tclederman Offline
Boltergeist
The RPO 1954 truck turn signal switch works well enough me, and for 1954 Corvette owners.

Tim
1954Advance-Design.com
1954 3106 Carryall Suburban - part of the family for 48 years
1954 3104 5-window pickup w/Hydra-Matic - part of the family for 14 years
Z-series (54/55) GMC 350 (2-ton) COE - now part of Dave's family
- If you have to stomp on your foot-pedal starter, either you, or your starter, or your engine, has a problem.
- The 216 and early 235 engine are not "splash oilers" - this is a splash oiler.
Re: Electronic turn signals [Re: coilover] #1309705 Sun May 05 2019 07:32 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
Don't want to ruffle feathers but I did wonder why coilover did not want to use the 54 self cancelling switch that 54 trucks had. I believe it was the first year for that type. They used a tab on the steering wheel to cancel. If I had a factory style switch, I would use it. It is original as it gets. Should last a long time. I sensed his frustration and joined in the quest for electronic since I visited it a year or more ago. (to be used on trucks before factory unit or trucks not ordered with this option that use a 900 style clamp on).
For Coilover, I advise using an original self cancelling unit.

In my expert Electro-Mechanical Engineering opinion smile the 54-59 is a very nice factory unit. It is an enclosed module and is actuated by all metal parts. Pretty strong. Reliable. All fix-it parts available. Not difficult to get at.

The goal of using a 900 style to get true self canceling, no extra buttons, no manual turn off, at a reasonable price is not as easy as it seems. Trust me on that. I fear that Mr.Coilover will find that out after spending some money and effort.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop