The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 registered members (BC59, 55_2nd_Series, DennisM, GMCanada9430, 2 invisible), 312 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics116,131
Posts923,450
Members42,352
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Fusible link for 12v alternator [Re: Phak1] #1310147 Thu May 09 2019 04:56 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Go ahead and attach the alternator output wire to the downstream side of the ammeter, along with the wiring to the ignition switch, light switch, fuse block (if you have one) etc. That way, the ammeter will show a battery charge/discharge indication after the alternator supplies all the current demand by the rest of the vehicle.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Fusible link for 12v alternator [Re: Phak1] #1310217 Fri May 10 2019 01:03 AM
P
Phak1 Online OP
Shop Shark
My first attempt to fabricate the shunt didn’t fair well. Although the stainless cuts easily with aviation snips, it is too hard for titanium coated drill bits in a battery powered drill. After regrouping, I was able to cut slots with a Metabo (side grinder) and a cutting wheel. Installation was easy. I placed the new shunt on first followed by the wire lugs. It worked just as the original without the shunt. It still pegs the needle on initial start but it comes down after a few seconds.

I believe this as a success. A big thanks to Jerry for steering me in the right direction.

Attached Files

1952 Chevrolet 3100 w/59’ 235 & hydraulic lifters
Original “Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Re: Fusible link for 12v alternator [Re: Phak1] #1310219 Fri May 10 2019 01:24 AM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
"I love it when a plan comes together!" That's a good-looking installation- - - -too bad it's going to be out of sight behind the dash soon!
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: Fusible link for 12v alternator [Re: Phak1] #1310954 Thu May 16 2019 10:10 PM
P
Phak1 Online OP
Shop Shark
I finally got to install a fusible link in the starter to ammeter 10 ga wire. I bought a 14 ga fusible link wire that had a 3/8” ring terminal already installed. That left one “Western Union Splice” to make the connection. I practiced first on some scrap 10 ga and the end of the fusible link wire that was too long. I didn’t get anywhere near 10 wraps on each side as suggested but I do believe it is a sound connection. Only time will tell. Thanks to all who helped me tackle this task.

Attached Files

1952 Chevrolet 3100 w/59’ 235 & hydraulic lifters
Original “Three on the Tree” & 4:11 torque tube
12v w/ Alternator
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop