The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
0 registered members (), 241 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,111
Posts913,473
Members42,120
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
1959 Apache 32 Longbed - Temporary Insanity #1309283
Thu May 02 2019 06:19 PM
Thu May 02 2019 06:19 PM
K
Kurt59  Offline OP
New Guy
Langley, Washington
Pictures of my "new" truck

I'm a retired engineer, living on Whidbey Island near Seattle.

In a fit of temporary insanity I bought this for $1000. It has been parked under cover since 1991. The engine turns over and I did a compression check (65, 110, 100, 120, 85, 115). With a few squirts of oil in the 2 low cylinders, 65 came up to 80 and 85 stayed about the same. The doors have the bottoms rusted out, the bed is no longer attached to the frame and I'm assuming the best path forward is to just buy all new replacement sheet metal back of the cab. There are not many big holes in the cab and front fenders, so a few patch panels seem like they would suffice. The doors could either be patched (found the parts for doing this), or I could buy some better replacements.

My skills are mostly on the mechanical side. I don't know how, or have facilities to weld or paint, so I was planning on getting help with those tasks. I could probably handle doing some spot welding if that is an acceptable way to patch holes (is it?). I assume the sanding, filling jobs are not too difficult.

My plan is to get it to drivable status first, step one being a running engine. I took off the valve cover and put the rocker assy in the parts washer and scraped a the gunk off the top of the head. I plan to pull the oil pan and do clean out what I can get to from the side. I'll pull and clean up the carb too. Will it be reasonable to reassemble at this point and try to start it?

The brake pedal has zero resistance, so I guess I'll need to rebuild the master cylinder for starters.

My wife is asking what my budget for this project is, and from looking at suppliers prices, I've already made a list that adds up to $3200. On top of that will be welding, which could be free if I find a willing friend in our local car club. I have no idea what to expect to pay for a good paint job. Is a range of $2000-$5000 reasonable? And I would probably have a local shop recondition the cylinder head (a few hundred?). Of course more surprises are waiting for me.

Re: 1959 Apache 32 Longbed - Temporary Insanity [Re: Kurt59] #1309287
Thu May 02 2019 07:56 PM
Thu May 02 2019 07:56 PM
Justhorsenround  Offline
Grease Monkey
El Reno, Okla
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! Check out our Tech Tips section. There is a good one about bringing a long sitting motor back to life. shake

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: 1959 Apache 32 Longbed - Temporary Insanity [Re: Kurt59] #1309289
Thu May 02 2019 08:00 PM
Thu May 02 2019 08:00 PM
A
Apache1  Offline
Shop Shark
Whitwell, TN
Welcome Kurt59>Good to see another '59 amongst the crowd. You covered allot of topics and immediate answers don't come so quickly when it comes to these old girls. You have WORK ahead of you. I suppose you need to ask yourself exactly what end goal you have in mind. If its full restoration your 3200 dollar budget will only etch the surface. Your mechanical skills will certainly be beneficial in cost savings to a point. Welding on 18 gauge sheet metal on the other hand w/o blowing holes and or warping panels takes allot practice. As you say your local club might be of assistance here.
Decisions on paint are way down the road. Again get it mechanically sound, engine, wiring, brakes, transmission, lighting, etc. Then see if your heart is still in it enough to forge ahead.

Last edited by Apache1; Thu May 02 2019 08:07 PM.

1959 Apache 3100 Fleetside SWB Resto-Mod

Re: 1959 Apache 32 Longbed - Temporary Insanity [Re: Apache1] #1309348
Fri May 03 2019 02:57 AM
Fri May 03 2019 02:57 AM
K
Kurt59  Offline OP
New Guy
Langley, Washington
I am asking myself what the end goal is. My thinking is get it drivable and then, like you say, see if my heart is still in it.

Re: 1959 Apache 32 Longbed - Temporary Insanity [Re: Kurt59] #1309352
Fri May 03 2019 03:54 AM
Fri May 03 2019 03:54 AM
baldeagle  Offline
Server Fixer
Richardson, TX, USA
Let me try to address some of this.

Originally Posted by Kurt59
Pictures of my "new" truck

I'm a retired engineer, living on Whidbey Island near Seattle.

In a fit of temporary insanity I bought this for $1000. It has been parked under cover since 1991. The engine turns over and I did a compression check (65, 110, 100, 120, 85, 115). With a few squirts of oil in the 2 low cylinders, 65 came up to 80 and 85 stayed about the same. The doors have the bottoms rusted out, the bed is no longer attached to the frame and I'm assuming the best path forward is to just buy all new replacement sheet metal back of the cab. There are not many big holes in the cab and front fenders, so a few patch panels seem like they would suffice. The doors could either be patched (found the parts for doing this), or I could buy some better replacements.

The bed doesn't appear to be that bad from the pictures. Are you sure it's not salvageable? Because replacing it is going to set you back some real money unless you can find a complete bed for sale cheap from a wrecked truck.

My skills are mostly on the mechanical side. I don't know how, or have facilities to weld or paint, so I was planning on getting help with those tasks. I could probably handle doing some spot welding if that is an acceptable way to patch holes (is it?). I assume the sanding, filling jobs are not too difficult.

The problem with spot welding is that the areas that have pin holes are probably thin. It's easier to cut out the rusted area and weld in new sheet metal. You can buy sheets of metal as patch material and weld them in place fairly easily. You can buy patch panels for the areas that are hard to shape (like the door corners), but patching the floor or the firewall is easily done without having to buy expensive parts. You just need a good friend who does welding to help you.

My plan is to get it to drivable status first, step one being a running engine. I took off the valve cover and put the rocker assy in the parts washer and scraped a the gunk off the top of the head. I plan to pull the oil pan and do clean out what I can get to from the side. I'll pull and clean up the carb too. Will it be reasonable to reassemble at this point and try to start it?

Sure. Why not? If you can get it driveable, you can start enjoying it, which may motivate you to continue improving it. That's how I did my '48. I removed the entire bed and drove the truck with cab and frame for a few years before fixing the bed.

The brake pedal has zero resistance, so I guess I'll need to rebuild the master cylinder for starters.

It might not be the master cylinder. First make sure it has fluid in it. Then try pumping the brakes and see if the fluid level decreases. That could indicate a leak somewhere in the braking system.

My wife is asking what my budget for this project is, and from looking at suppliers prices, I've already made a list that adds up to $3200. On top of that will be welding, which could be free if I find a willing friend in our local car club. I have no idea what to expect to pay for a good paint job. Is a range of $2000-$5000 reasonable? And I would probably have a local shop recondition the cylinder head (a few hundred?). Of course more surprises are waiting for me.

I paid $5500 for mine. Each part was painted disassembled, and then the truck was put back together. The priceof the paint and body work depends a lot on how much work you can do in prepping it for painting.

I've attached some pics of my truck showing the 'bed" in original condition and completed.

Attached Files
mytruck9.jpg (75 downloads)
DSC00589.JPG (75 downloads)
mytruck3.jpg (74 downloads)
DSC00586.JPG (73 downloads)

Paul Schmehl CI 12
geek@stovebolt.com
Stovebolt Staff: Geek
1948 Chevy 3100 Five Window
Re: 1959 Apache 32 Longbed - Temporary Insanity [Re: Kurt59] #1309364
Fri May 03 2019 10:41 AM
Fri May 03 2019 10:41 AM
Hambone  Offline
Shop Shark
california, md
Was the 3200 a 6 lug front axle?

And then we can talk about that canoe!!

Last edited by Hambone; Fri May 03 2019 05:30 PM.

HB

1966 Chevrolet K-10
Flappy Fenders
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1962 Chevrolet C10
Re: 1959 Apache 32 Longbed - Temporary Insanity [Re: Kurt59] #1309368
Fri May 03 2019 11:43 AM
Fri May 03 2019 11:43 AM
John Milliman  Offline
Founder/Developer
St. Mary's Co., MD
Yeah, forget the truck ... let's talk about the canoe! smile Beautiful job on the canoe. Actually, you two talk about the canoe and I'll just listen -- Hambone asks more intelligent questions than I do. If you go at the truck like that (which, all joking aside, looks pretty solid and an excellent candidate for a straightforward resto), you should have a gorgeous transporter for the Kennebec.

And about that insanity ... hate to be the one to tell you, but there's nothing "temporary" about it. Judging by the canoe, you have it as bad as any of us.

Welcome to Stovebolt -- You're home, now smile

John

John

'49 Chevrolet 3804
'70 Boston Whaler Sakonnet w/ '84 Evinrude 90
'85 Ford F-350 "The Farm Dawg"

Re: 1959 Apache 32 Longbed - Temporary Insanity [Re: Kurt59] #1309410
Fri May 03 2019 05:40 PM
Fri May 03 2019 05:40 PM
Hambone  Offline
Shop Shark
california, md
Kurt - Welcome. I tried to buy a low number Kennebec in NH a few years ago. Did not work out so I ended up with a 62 C10. Some day I will find a canoe to strap on to my truck, but not there yet.
How does a Kennebec make it all the way to the NW?

HB

1966 Chevrolet K-10
Flappy Fenders
In the Stovebolt Gallery
More pictures on Photobucket

1962 Chevrolet C10
Re: 1959 Apache 32 Longbed - Temporary Insanity [Re: Kurt59] #1309426
Fri May 03 2019 08:47 PM
Fri May 03 2019 08:47 PM
S
sstock  Offline
Shop Shark
Gig Harbor, WA
Welcome aboard, you have some work cut out for you.
The painting process even though a couple years ago for me is all to vivid in my memory. I am not a painter but decided to educate myself and take a stab at it. The majority of the work is in the body panel & prep work, if that is all done well and you do it yourself, you can find someone to squirt it within your budget. Otherwise it is not a realistic paint budget. I put urethane on mine, primers fillers, sealers, top coats/materials ran me $1500 before I even picked up any sandpaper. Paint products are expensive.

Last edited by sstock; Fri May 03 2019 08:48 PM.
Re: 1959 Apache 32 Longbed - Temporary Insanity [Re: Kurt59] #1309468
Sat May 04 2019 02:51 AM
Sat May 04 2019 02:51 AM
R
Rich'sToys  Offline
Shop Shark
Janesville, Mn
As has been suggested, get it running and drivable first. Then you will decide how much farther you want to take it. Either it will grow on you or it won't.
A good idea would be to pour a little ATF into the cylinders and let it set that way for a few weeks. Then turn it over and blow the ATF out and put the plugs back in. Helps to free up those rings.

Rich

'47 Loadmaster

I got a pair of those new Memory Foam shoe inserts. Hasn't helped much- When I walk to another room, I still can't remember why.

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop