The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
17 members (3B, AD8, BLUEMEANIE, 5 Window 9434, 51sub, 49nut), 101 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics119,489
Posts956,744
Members43,414
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Need help with stuck gear selectors on trans
e9coupe #1308839 Sun Apr 28 2019 11:02 PM
E
e9coupe Offline OP
Shop Shark
More issues with third gear. I drove the truck down the street and it runs pretty good and shifts fine. I only drove it about four blocks, cruised in third and pulled up to my work and it wouldn't shift out of third again. I rattled the shifter a little bit without forcing anything and nothing helped so I limped it in the back of our place and put it on the lift. The selector and assy is fine and adjustments look good but the third gear lever on the gearbox is stuck. I pulled the cover off and took a few photos and eventually got it to release by hand. The big gear with the thin collar is the one that gets stuck and it doesn't feel right when it gets to the end of its movement, like it goes too far. I have no idea, I don't know these gearboxes at all. I watched a few videos of disassembly but nothing stood out for me.

The selector box and shift rods are all adjusted and work well, it's just the gears in the gearbox causing the problem.

Any thoughts?

UPDATE:. I managed to get it stuck again while messing with in while it was apart and then couldn't get it free. I ended up putting it together as-is so I could limp it back to my garage and while driving it back I got it to release and shift fine again. I read that others have had third stick if they stop without shifting out of gear. Would still like to know what's going on..

Attached Files
IMG_20190428_150251233.jpg (72.24 KB, 65 downloads)
IMG_20190428_150309663.jpg (116.8 KB, 66 downloads)
IMG_20190428_152641380.jpg (110.57 KB, 64 downloads)
Last edited by e9coupe; Mon Apr 29 2019 02:37 AM.
e9coupe #1308946 Mon Apr 29 2019 05:30 PM
R
Shop Shark
There is some wear on the 2-3 shift fork, it could cause some of the problems you are experiencing. The "big gear with the thin collar" is actually the synchronizer assembly. It is also referred to as a "drum". It has brass rings on both ends which help engage 2nd & 3rd gear.
It is engaged by the 2-3 shift fork moving the collar. 3rd gear is to the front. Take a close look at the ends to see if the brass rings move when it is moved manually. If the rings are loose or worn excessively it won't engage or disengage properly.
Fred

rfs56trk #1308950 Mon Apr 29 2019 05:58 PM
E
e9coupe Offline OP
Shop Shark
Originally Posted by rfs56trk
There is some wear on the 2-3 shift fork, it could cause some of the problems you are experiencing. The "big gear with the thin collar" is actually the synchronizer assembly. It is also referred to as a "drum". It has brass rings on both ends which help engage 2nd & 3rd gear.
It is engaged by the 2-3 shift fork moving the collar. 3rd gear is to the front. Take a close look at the ends to see if the brass rings move when it is moved manually. If the rings are loose or worn excessively it won't engage or disengage properly.
Fred

Thanks for the lesson. One of the things I thought was strange is that the rings under the assembly moved separate from the drum. As I moved the drum back and forth the edge of the brass ring was visible and had some slop in the movement. I wasn't sure if that was normal or not. Sounds like it isn't. Do you know of an exploded diagram of the gearbox, or drawings/illustrations showing how it works? When I had it apart a mechanic friend checked it out and now it's bugging him until he figures it out. 8-)

e9coupe #1309041 Tue Apr 30 2019 03:09 PM
R
Shop Shark
Any movement in the brass ring is bad news. They are pressed in and staked in place. The steel ring has some normal movement as it engages over the energizing spring. I specialize in the later SM319 Muncie overdrive transmissions but don't normally do much with the early torque tube units. I'm sure the manual for these transmissions is online. Someone here can likely lead you to it. The internal components are similar to those used on the 55-59 cars and trucks. Those manuals are available from aftermarket sources.
One of my parts sources here locally is Waugh Transmissions in Santa Fe Springs, CA. 562-693-0855. They are experts in these units and rebuild the synchronizer units as well.
Fred

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  SWEET 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop