The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
13 registered members (68ironhead, GeneBrink, Barnfind49, BC59, Jim60, delky), 76 guests, and 2 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,723
Posts919,617
Members42,320
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
I'm just the messenger... #1308299 Tue Apr 23 2019 08:58 PM
1930MoneyPit Offline OP
New Guy
My husband has a 1930 1.5 ton Chevy in pieces in our barn. Affectionately (well, most of the time anyway) known as "The Money Pit" (and HOW!!!), it has been a work-in-progress for about a year and a half. Because I'm the forum user in the house, it's my task to relay his questions to you good folks. I'm not too knowledgeable about this stuff, so I'll mostly be regurgitating what he tells me without really understanding what I'm typing, so please bear with me. Thanks in advance for your help!

Re: I'm just the messenger... [Re: 1930MoneyPit] #1308348 Wed Apr 24 2019 02:21 AM
Rusty Rod Offline
Moderator - The Electrical Bay and Rocky Mountain Bolters
Welcome to the 'bolt. That does sound like a fun project. Please scroll through the various forums and ask the questions that pertain to those particular forums. This way, you will get the best answers.

Another quality post.

Real Trucks Rattle

HELP! The Paranoids are after me!
Re: I'm just the messenger... [Re: 1930MoneyPit] #1308358 Wed Apr 24 2019 03:32 AM
Achipmunk Offline
Extreme Gabster
Welcome to the Stovebolt. interesting project but don't feel bad. I've spent 5-6 years on each project I've had.

We're here to help and don't be afraid to ask questions....just be sure to ask them in the garage forums.

1937 Chevy Pickup
1952 Chevy Panel
Pictures in my Photobucket
1950 Chevy Coupe

52 Chevy Panel

I'd rather walk and carry a Chevy hub cap than ride in a Ferd.
I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you smile
Re: I'm just the messenger... [Re: 1930MoneyPit] #1308376 Wed Apr 24 2019 12:11 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Welcome to the Stovebolt madness. There is no cure! shake

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: I'm just the messenger... [Re: 1930MoneyPit] #1308377 Wed Apr 24 2019 12:19 PM
H
Hotrod Lincoln Offline
Boltergeist
Hi and welcome! At least it ain't a boat- - - - - -"Break Out Another Thousand!" The early 30's rigs are fun, but as you've probably already learned, finding parts can be a challenge. Is he going for a "restoration", or are some newer major assemblies like the engine and transmission be considered? Late 1930's or newer parts can be adapted without a lot modifications.
Jerry

The murder victim was drowned in a bathtub full of Rice Krispies and milk.
The coroner blamed the crime on a cereal killer!

Cringe and wail in fear, Eloi- - - - -we Morlocks are on the hunt!
Re: I'm just the messenger... [Re: 1930MoneyPit] #1308382 Wed Apr 24 2019 01:31 PM
T
TPR57C Offline
Shop Shark
Watch out for 2-Ton he frequents that neck of the woods .Havebeen with him to the Ozark lake lovely area to be in welcome from keeping the dream alive

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
Re: I'm just the messenger... [Re: 1930MoneyPit] #1308384 Wed Apr 24 2019 01:34 PM
T
TPR57C Offline
Shop Shark
Welcome from downunder must remember to proof read

57 3200 pickup 265 V8 with service tray
Re: I'm just the messenger... [Re: Hotrod Lincoln] #1308399 Wed Apr 24 2019 03:25 PM
1930MoneyPit Offline OP
New Guy
Originally Posted by Hotrod Lincoln
Hi and welcome! At least it ain't a boat- - - - - -"Break Out Another Thousand!" The early 30's rigs are fun, but as you've probably already learned, finding parts can be a challenge. Is he going for a "restoration", or are some newer major assemblies like the engine and transmission be considered? Late 1930's or newer parts can be adapted without a lot modifications.
Jerry

Thanks! We went through our boat phase about 25 years ago. Nothing fancy, just a little Chipmunk sailboat (The sail was way too big for it, so we had the most fun dumping ourselves into the lake), then a little 5-seat Pipestone Princess (I think) with a 50hp Merc outboard. Just enough for us to waterski.

So far, he's doing a frame-off resto, I guess. The frame and some other parts have been powdercoated. He replaced the radiator. New tires, plus some brake work. Our mechanic does metal fabrication on the side and is working on a hood. He had planned to rebuild the engine, but ran into the head being cracked in 13--yes, unlucky THIRTEEN--places. The local engine guru recommended swapping it for a '54-'62 235 so we have the benefits of a more modern engine, but we don't know if it will hook up to the bell housing without modification. I posted my question in the Big Bolt and engine forums. He's a woodworker, so he's most excited about getting to the point of being able to rebuild the bed.

Re: I'm just the messenger... [Re: 1930MoneyPit] #1308414 Wed Apr 24 2019 07:11 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Noticed you had posted the same question in two different forums. That is not acceptable on Stovebolt.com. May I suggest you hop over to the General Truck Talk Forum and read the “Sticky” thread at the top of the page about why things are moved, modified and edited. Lots of good information there about how to use the site.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: I'm just the messenger... [Re: Justhorsenround] #1308426 Wed Apr 24 2019 09:13 PM
1930MoneyPit Offline OP
New Guy
Originally Posted by Justhorsenround
Noticed you had posted the same question in two different forums. That is not acceptable on Stovebolt.com. May I suggest you hop over to the General Truck Talk Forum and read the “Sticky” thread at the top of the page about why things are moved, modified and edited. Lots of good information there about how to use the site.

Oh, sorry. I didn't know whether to put it in the Big Bolt or generic engine section, so that's why I did both.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Achipmunk, Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop