The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 registered members (55 SHAKER, 3B, Dr. Jag, BigBlockMan, Eureka Jim, 2 invisible), 279 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,287
Posts915,800
Members42,219
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ready to start on floor/cab patch panels...advice please #1307466 Wed Apr 17 2019 10:25 PM
1951Tom Offline OP
New Guy
Just got my ‘51 Chevy 3100 delivered today with plans to get it safe for driving to feed store(2 miles). It has original 216 engine/3 speed, converted to 12 volt alternator. I will eventually be completely re-wiring but the obvious first priority in my opinion is to replace rusted through floor & kick panels.
Asking for advice/pointers on the order to replace panels, and would prefer to not remove cab although I understand necessity for removing fenders as lower cowl needs repair.
Have been scouring forums to gather info but certainly appreciate ANY constructive advice on this first, important phase.
I am located in central TX and am not adverse to having this work done by a shop if anyone can suggest a good, reasonably price one in this part of country.
Thanks in advance for any tips, advice, encouragement or direction.
Intent is to NOT make this a custom restoration but to rebuild it to a safer standard over time.

Last edited by 1951Tom; Thu Apr 18 2019 03:38 AM.

Got one located to keep me busy & broke.
Re: Ready to start on floor/cab patch panels...advice please [Re: 1951Tom] #1307468 Wed Apr 17 2019 10:30 PM
J
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
Tom, welcome to the Stovebolt madness. Be sure to review the various forums and post your questions in the appropriate spot. This will assure you get the expert help you need.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Ready to start on floor/cab patch panels...advice please [Re: 1951Tom] #1307470 Wed Apr 17 2019 10:35 PM
B
Brad Allen Offline
Shop Shark
Here is how I did it, I kept my cab on, started and finished one side at a time. Pay particular attention to door fit and front cab mounts/structure is my advice. Realize the patch panels are just close and need considerable care in fitting. I TIG welded everything, I am sure others will comment on their choices so you can compare and pick an approach and process you like. Good Luck!
https://www.flickr.com/photos/advance-design_parts_co/albums/72157631867396207

Re: Ready to start on floor/cab patch panels...advice please [Re: 1951Tom] #1307475 Wed Apr 17 2019 11:34 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
Brad's album has photos of exactly what you need. Just keep scrolling thru them. He did a perfect job. Mig welding would also be fine. His tail pipe holders knocked my socks off. Very neat!

Repairing stuff like that is fun and rewarding. It's what many of us like. It kind of sounds like you hesitate to tackle it. You will find that this kind of work is very expensive when outsourced. If you have a friend who has a shop, it will be more money and take longer. smile Keep it at home.

Since patch panels are available, it is a DIY waiting to happen. There are just a few rules to follow and a thin material welding learning curve. We all had to start when we started. None of this would be over your head. If you get to where you can post pics it will help in giving advice. Many folks here will guide you thru anything. You can't get into trouble with all that help, provided you can weld, learn to weld or have a friend that can weld. The rest is normal mechanical work. Light fab and a little art. Tweaking the patch panels is common, as said.

1960 GMC K1001 (The Oreo SpeedWagon)
To each his own or the Highway.
All I know is what the voices in my head tell me and a little from watching TV.

Re: Ready to start on floor/cab patch panels...advice please [Re: Brad Allen] #1307482 Thu Apr 18 2019 12:42 AM
1951Tom Offline OP
New Guy
Really nice truck...I do not envision that extensive of a build for mine but your work is outstanding! You last page of pics will be of particular use to me as I replace my floor, kick panels, lower cowl and whatever else is required to keep the weather from getting in through floor area. Thanks for the info!

Re: Ready to start on floor/cab patch panels...advice please [Re: bartamos] #1307484 Thu Apr 18 2019 12:47 AM
1951Tom Offline OP
New Guy
Mig welded for a living at one time in my life so I believe that with all the info available here, I can pick it back up fairly easily. This site is a wealth of info & I will be relying on it heavily as this project gets rolling. Lots of cleaning, & dis-assembly at this point.
Plan on taking my time & doing lots of reading as I go along.👍

Re: Ready to start on floor/cab patch panels...advice please [Re: 1951Tom] #1307498 Thu Apr 18 2019 01:43 AM
52Carl Offline
Master Gabster
The dirty little secret about doing what you think that you are wanting to do is not possible. Working on these trucks which are in the condition in which you describe is labor intensive and expensive. Even more so if you select to pay someone else to do the work.
Everyone whose first truck is in this condition suffers from wanting to think that it is like a wayward daughter who is "just a little pregnant".
I do not want to dissuade you from diving into it. I just want to give you a realistic view of what you are in for.
We have all been there, but no matter how many extra issues we have discovered as we have peeled the onion, we all were absolutely thrilled with the end result of our efforts, regardless of the level of resurrection we went for. We ended up with a better truck than what we started with and that is all that really matters, isn't it?
You are about to begin a journey which will be full of many little victories, some temporary setbacks, a little tool throwing, but still a whole lot of fun.
There are a lot of folks in here who are willing to bend over backwards to help you along the way. All you have to do is ask.
Carl

Re: Ready to start on floor/cab patch panels...advice please [Re: 1951Tom] #1307508 Thu Apr 18 2019 02:31 AM
K
klhansen Offline
Shop Shark
Definitely read thru MP&C's thread at the top of the Paint and Body Shop forum. Robert is a metal artist and fortunately for all of us very willing to share his knowledge.

Welcome to the 'Bolt

Kevin
First car '29 Ford Special Coupe
#2 - '29 Ford pickup restored from the ground up.
Newest Project - 51 Chevy 3100 work truck. Photos
Re: Ready to start on floor/cab patch panels...advice please [Re: 1951Tom] #1307532 Thu Apr 18 2019 05:37 AM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
"Mig welded for a living" is close enough. Call me crazy but I say go ahead and weld your floors. Probably know how to do metal stuff too. Let us see the progress when you are ready.

1960 GMC K1001 (The Oreo SpeedWagon)
To each his own or the Highway.
All I know is what the voices in my head tell me and a little from watching TV.

Re: Ready to start on floor/cab patch panels...advice please [Re: 1951Tom] #1307549 Thu Apr 18 2019 12:05 PM
D
dgrinnan Offline
Shop Shark
Good luck. I will be tracking your progress. I am in a similar situation and have been putting off replacing the two floor panels out of fear of the unknown. I am almost ready to start. I have the parts. I am replacing the two front floor pans and I also plan on leaving the cab on while doing it. My plan is to remove the bolts from the cab mounts, slightly jack up the cab and then replace the support brackets and then the front and left pans. I am confident once I get into it I will figure it out. It is scary taking that first step but you got this.

Dave from Northern Kentucky
My 54 3100
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Fourbrads, HandyAndy 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop