The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
11 registered members (Grigg, jetmech6868, dunfire, cameo1956, carbking, HandyAndy), 257 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,741
Posts919,839
Members42,328
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Solenoid gone bad? #1307296 Tue Apr 16 2019 02:43 PM
I
idaho39 Offline OP
Shop Shark
I have a 1955 Chevy 235 engine and when I turn the ignition to start the car ,,the starter hesitates and then takes hold ,some times ,many times right after another before it engages and stays engaged long enough to start the engine .. I am asking how to determine which of the two are faulty before I buy one or the other .

Last edited by idaho39; Tue Apr 16 2019 10:30 PM.

Re: How do you determine if it is a Starter Relay Or Solemoid gone bad? [Re: idaho39] #1307299 Tue Apr 16 2019 02:59 PM
B
beltfed Offline
Shop Shark
It really doesn’t matter if you’ve yet to pull them off the motor. They come off as a pair. Once off it becomes easy to troubleshoot the two. Just make sure your not going down a rabbit hole. I had the same issue this spring. After way too much work, found the ignition switch had burnt contacts.

Last edited by beltfed; Tue Apr 16 2019 03:00 PM.

Six volt guy living in a twelve volt world
Re: How do you determine if it is a Starter Relay Or Solemoid gone bad? [Re: idaho39] #1307301 Tue Apr 16 2019 03:04 PM
I
idaho39 Offline OP
Shop Shark
So, I take the solenoid off the starter leaving the starter connected up to the motor and then check the solenoid and relay for continuity of each to determine which one is bad.?
.I will take a look at the ignition switch first..

Re: How do you determine if it is a Starter Relay Or Solemoid gone bad? [Re: idaho39] #1307328 Tue Apr 16 2019 06:33 PM
W
Wrenchbender Ret. Offline
Master Gabster
Does the starter spin but not turn the engine or does it click & not turn the starter?
George

They say money can't buy happiness. It can buy old Chevy trucks though. Same thing.

1956 Chevy 1/2-Ton Pickup

Re: How do you determine if it is a Starter Relay Or Solemoid gone bad? [Re: idaho39] #1307334 Tue Apr 16 2019 07:19 PM
I
idaho39 Offline OP
Shop Shark

The starter does not click .It spins .but only after it starts to connect to the fly wheel.. after a few tries it takes hold enough to turn the engine over and it starts

Last edited by idaho39; Tue Apr 16 2019 07:20 PM.

Re: How do you determine if it is a Starter Relay Or Solemoid gone bad? [Re: idaho39] #1307340 Tue Apr 16 2019 07:58 PM
V
VEW Offline
Shop Shark
Sounds like you have a weak spring....assuming all your connections are good.

Victor

41 3/4 Ton Pick Up (in process)
55 Grumman Kurbside (Doughboy) 235/3 on tree w/ OD
57 3100
58 C4400 Viking (Thor)
59 C4500 Short Bus (Magic Bus)
59 G3800 1 Ton Dually (Chief)

Re: How do you determine if it is a Starter Relay Or Solemoid gone bad? [Re: idaho39] #1307342 Tue Apr 16 2019 08:05 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
You don't have a starter relay and a solenoid. They are the same thing. You probably have a bad/weak battery. When it does that, jump it and see what happens. There are TWO models in 1955. 55.1 and 55.2. Which one do you have?

The starter is not supposed to spin until it engages the flywheel. So it's working correctly.

Don't mix your guess in with symptoms. Report your result after jumping. Then we can move forward with next test. Be sure you jump it with a good battery and check your battery posts and cable clamps. Take off and clean really good. Check cable and wires to starter. Check carefully.
Tell us anything you have done electrically lately with wires, battery, cables, solenoid, ignition switch...........

Don't remove starter or solenoid. That's later. Use a volt meter on battery. Touch only the posts and read. Then touch only the clamps and read. looking for 12.6V.

The only relay you have is a horn relay which also acts as a hot terminal block, sometimes, and may look like it's energizing starter.
Fords have actual starter relays.
Generally: a relay has no external mechanical linkage and a solenoid does. Their electrics operate basically the same. So confusion results.

Laziness is the Father of invention.

Re: How do you determine if it is a Starter Relay Or Solemoid gone bad? [Re: idaho39] #1307348 Tue Apr 16 2019 10:29 PM
I
idaho39 Offline OP
Shop Shark
bartamos. thanks for the help with the wiring ,,it is in and works fine except I might have gotten the wrong oil temp sender. that can wait ,,as now I want to fix the starting problem I have and had before I wired in the turn signals thru the ignition

I just went out and read my battery amps and it is at 12.55 ,,I put my slow charger on it and after it charges up to 12.6 then I will check the cables to the starter ..

I have a car motor 55 Belair ,,guess you were talking about the two years of PickUp styles with the 55.1 and 55.2 ..if not then you'll have to enlighten me..

Ok, glad I only have one relay or solenoid.. After getting all the wiring put in and tested to work properly ,,I then charged the battery to full and it is down some to 12.55 from a full 12.6..

Thats all I can come up with for now about any changes ,and like I said it did this same thing last June when I drove it last,, I do have a good battery to jump the one in the car ,,but need a helper and my son flew back home last Saturday ..

Re: How do you determine if it is a Starter Relay Or Solemoid gone bad? [Re: idaho39] #1307353 Tue Apr 16 2019 11:10 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Master Gabster
OK good. 12.55 is close enough. It could still be bad because they show 12.6 at static (no load) then break down under the extreme load of starter.
Yes, I was speaking of 55.1 55.2 trucks. Wanted to look at the correct schematic in case there were changes. If a car motor has something different than what I said, I don't know it.

I still say battery or wires/cables/terminals/clamps/connections/corrosion/, lead/copper sulfate.... The jump from another battery is still necessary. A helper is not mandatory. Pull other vehicle close, hook up cables and start motor. Stop motor, get out and disconnect. The posts and clamps MUST be thoroughly cleaned. The idea is to see if starter suddenly acts normal whether it starts the motor or not.

You can also take the battery to two different places. They will put under load and test. Don't trust one place/machine/operator. O'Reilly's, Autozone, etc do it for free. In or out of the vehicle.

So many times I have seen myself and others struggle when it was the battery or it's connections. It will fool you. So we must be 100% sure before blaming something else. This includes battery ground to the motor, ground to body and frame.

Laziness is the Father of invention.

Re: How do you determine if it is a Starter Relay Or Solemoid gone bad? [Re: idaho39] #1307372 Wed Apr 17 2019 01:23 AM
truckernix Offline
Master Gabster
I think you might get a further hint if you turn on the dash lights before hitting the starter. If the lights blink or go out, you have a connection problem or weak battery.

1951 GMC 1 Ton Flatbed -- It is finally on the road and what a great time I have driving it!
1951 1 Ton Completed

My Chevy Master 4 Door is on the Road!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop