The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
9 registered members (Bdaily, Ecratrods, archburycontrol, 3 invisible), 288 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics115,749
Posts919,902
Members42,330
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
New seat installed #1306071 Fri Apr 05 2019 03:41 PM
B
bluesman Offline OP
Shop Shark
Just got a seat installed in my 53 one ton. It's not an original seat, but it fits and seems to work. Eventually I'll replace it with something better, but for now I at least have a place to sit! I picked it up at the local wrecking yard, and spent an hour wandering around with a tape measure checking seats. I ended up finding two that I thought would work, but one of them would have been nearly impossible to pull the seat out of. So I settled for this. It's out of an early 2000's Dodge station wagon of some sort, the back seat. And it cost all of $20!

One thing I managed to do was attach the seat to the old seat frame with hinges, so it tilts up from the back allowing access to the area under the riser. I ended up bolting a length of oak 1x4 under the center brace, and sitting on top of the seat track bracket. It seems plenty strong. I still need to permanently attach the seat back, and get seat belts for the outside. It has built in center seat belt, and the female ends for the outside belts.

I'm attaching a few photos, just to show off!

The first two are the seat, then tilted for access. The other two show the hinge.

Tim

Attached Files
IMG_9605a.jpg (71.62 KB, 133 downloads)
IMG_9607a.jpg (61.31 KB, 137 downloads)
IMG_9608a.jpg (44.15 KB, 135 downloads)
IMG_9609a.jpg (86.46 KB, 129 downloads)

I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.

Tim
Re: New seat installed [Re: bluesman] #1306093 Fri Apr 05 2019 06:32 PM
N
ndkid275 Offline
Shop Shark
I know that you don't have seat belts as of yet. Are you planning on taking out the wood and replacing it with metal? Just curious since its not grade 8 wood. Do you have concerns with your seat on wood? I would think that since you center belt is attached to the rest, you might want to reinforce the securing of the seat. Sorry, good idea, but may not be safe in an accident.

Chris

Re: New seat installed [Re: bluesman] #1306110 Fri Apr 05 2019 08:24 PM
B
bluesman Offline OP
Shop Shark
I am planing on replacing the seat belts, and not using the ones with the seat at all. My idea is to attach the belts to the floor under the gas tank. And I might replace the oak board with a steel rectangular tube. Although the oak is pretty strong, and it's bolted down with 1/2" bolts with heavy fender washers.

And I eventually plan on replacing the seat with a real one, this is just temporary so I can drive it around my place while working on it.

Tim

I am currently digging back in to a 1953 3800 (one ton) with a nine foot bed. I've owned it since 1979, and drove it until 1982 (or so). My wife got me involved in restoring it back in 2002, got the body removed and the frame redone, then things came up. Now I am retired and starting again. If anyone is interested I have photos on Imagur ( https://timwhiteblues.imgur.com/ ). I live way back in the woods in the Ozarks on 40 acres at the end of a 2 1/2 mile private road.

Tim
Re: New seat installed [Re: bluesman] #1306140 Sat Apr 06 2019 12:08 AM
N
ndkid275 Offline
Shop Shark
Ok, I can understand a temp set up. I would hate to see anyone get hurt going down the road. The 1/2” bolts might hold, weak spot is the wood and that is where it will fail.

Chris

Moderated by  Rusty46 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop