The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Some light reading

ENTERTAINING ADVENTURES

In the Stovebolt Reading Room

A little light reading
OR
Epic stories of old tin hunting!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
23 registered members (ClassicsR4Me, Darrell Day, carbking, 3100Cummins, 4 invisible), 386 guests, and 4 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums48
Topics117,347
Posts938,271
Members42,909
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Voltage Regulator #1305811 Wed Apr 03 2019 04:38 PM
46Sparky Offline OP
Shop Shark
There is an interesting thread regarding ammeter vibrations, elsewhere in the Stovebolt. In order to not muddy that informative discussion I’ll start a new thread.

I am learning how to do all this stuff as I go. Further along the learning path than I was, but much more to go yet.

I am trying to complete the wiring on my ‘46 Chevy 1/2 Ton. It is being converted to a 12 volt, using a new wiring harness and keeping the generator. The generator has also been reworked to be compatible with a 12V system. The voltage regulator is a 12V Delco. I have added fuses as recommended: 30A at 10ga wire leading from starter to ammeter, 30A fuse at light switch, and 15A fuses at each the electric wipers, cig lighter, and turn signals.

The problem: The 30A fuse on the wire leading from the starter to the ammeter blows out immediately when the battery cables are attached. The previously working ammeter, per test, no longer registers at all. I prefer to keep the ammeter instead of changing to a volt meter, as some do otherwise.

I am uncertain where to go from here to troubleshoot this problem. Already checked and rechecked was all wiring for loose connections. The harness is new, as indicated, and there are no frayed wires. The voltage regulator was used, but functional, based on having used it for engine and brief driving test runs. However, none of the accessories or light switch were connected at that time.

I understand from the thread referenced above grounding the voltage regulator is necessary. I had previously assumed the regulator/firewall mounting bolts would suffice. I need a better understanding of where to add more grounding, the old Delco Shop Manual shows an external screw for use as a ground lug. The regulator I have doesn’t have one. Will adding a wire from one of the regular mounting bolts and the other to the generator bracket mounting bolt work?

Should insulting washers be used when mounting the ammeter to the gauge cluster? None were used, but in thinking through this problem I have wondered.

I understand the polarization of the generator is needed, as well. But, as indicated, that can’t happen with the fuse blowing as fast as it does.

Thanks.

Re: Voltage Regulator [Re: 46Sparky] #1305813 Wed Apr 03 2019 04:49 PM
47 chev Offline
Wrench Fetcher
……..with the fuse blowing like that, you have a definite , solid short to ground. Use an ohm meter with neg lead connected to frame ground and just start following the wiring from the generator. At the regulator, you'll see some resistance to ground....about 40 ohms...thru' various coils and that's normal. You should never see 0 ohms to ground. 0 ohms = dead short. If you see 0 ohms, start removing wires until the short disappears. With a new wiring harness, chances are it's a wiring error rather than a frayed wire touching the frame.

Re: Voltage Regulator [Re: 46Sparky] #1305814 Wed Apr 03 2019 05:07 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Truck Whisperer
Just an alternate opinion:
You can play with all that wiring, ammeter and all those contacts and problems all you want. When you get tired, throw it all away and get a modern alternator. Converting to 12V and keeping all that claptrap is false purity.

I'm away on an ego trip. Will be back on Feb 30.
I'm not an Auto Mechanic, but I play one on TV.
I charge $0.02 for every opinion and I take Paypal.
Plan B is always better than plan A, by definition.

Re: Voltage Regulator [Re: 46Sparky] #1305818 Wed Apr 03 2019 05:18 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
bartamos, while your advise would normally be 100% right on, in this case it’s not doable. Sparky is a high quality restoration project and an alternator would be totally out of place. When finished, unless you are a highly trained show judge you will not be able to tell anything has been modified. How do I know this you ask? I’ve been privileged to visit Sparky in his natural habitat (the garage) and have a first hand tour by his owner. Testing for dead shorts is the way to go. One wire at a time, slow, steady and thorough will yield positive results.

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Re: Voltage Regulator [Re: 46Sparky] #1305819 Wed Apr 03 2019 05:23 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Truck Whisperer
This is what he has done: Quote from another post.
"I was curious because I want to use the Halogen bulbs on Sparky and have already added electric wipers, turn signals with emergency flashers, LED tail lights and a cigarette lighter for use as a GPS or cell phone charging port. In the process now of tracking down the power usage for some of these. But, it looks so far like the power draw buget will be within the 35 amps available. This will be a 12volt system with the generator modified to 12volt".

So that's where I am coming from. It's just another "makes sense" thing to do an alternator to an already nice altered truck. Makes no sense to keep the old charging system. None whatsoever.
In one way it's none of my business. In another way, everything on here is my right to opine. I did say "alternate opinion". It may or may not give a person pause to ponder. "Quality" in the sense of purity is gone. Quality in the sense of precise, well done, original and modifications, is being accomplished. I am on no way disrespecting the truck and owner. Stovebolt is a forum for discussion. When I see a person struggle with old technology for no reason, I recommend update. I am a restomod type mostly. Sometimes I see "closet" restomod people. Maybe it's a stigma here. smile

My motto: Put on an alternator, get rid of the gen, the VR, the ammeter and all the connections and put in an idiot light. When it lights you will see it. It means something is wrong. No needle watching. If your battery goes dead. Get a jump and go home....................that's kind of a long motto, aye?

Re: Voltage Regulator [Re: 46Sparky] #1305821 Wed Apr 03 2019 05:32 PM
47 chev Offline
Wrench Fetcher
…...just as anside…..what is a generator " modified" for 12 volts ? Seem like it's either a 6 volt gen or a 12 volt gen but not a modified 12 volt gen.

Re: Voltage Regulator [Re: 46Sparky] #1305822 Wed Apr 03 2019 05:39 PM
47 chev Offline
Wrench Fetcher
gee Bartamos……..."claptrap" is a bit harsh.

Re: Voltage Regulator [Re: 46Sparky] #1305825 Wed Apr 03 2019 05:57 PM
B
bartamos Offline
Truck Whisperer
It just means too much wiring, contact points, terminations, things to go wrong, old technology, less reliable, in an already modified electrical system.

I will amend claptrap to.............. "possible aged cumbersome system which obviously is giving trouble and hard to analyze".

Some guy I used to work with used it a lot during design discussions. It does not mean crap or anything like that.

Re: Voltage Regulator [Re: 46Sparky] #1305832 Wed Apr 03 2019 07:00 PM
L
Lightholder's Dad Offline
Shop Shark
My experience with new wiring is limited to just two restorations, my COE and my '37. Both are stock restorations. Before I placed the battery in the COE I used my $10 ohmmeter and tested the the battery leads. Oh oh, I thought I had a short, but it was only a light switch in the on position. With everything off, I had no continuity and safely placed the battery. My next project was my '37 and when I did the same thing I had continuity, with all switches off. Long story short I found the tongue of the windshield regulator touching a post on the headlilght switch.

The point of my story is to avoid frying your expensive harness or starting a fire when doing major work on a wiring system, use your cheapo meter on the battery leads to be sure hooking up that battery won't cause you serious grief.
Kent

1937 Chevy 1/2 ton
1942 Chevy 1/2 ton
1947 Diamond T Model 509
1951 Chevy 1/2 ton
1950 Chevy COE Model 5700 ~ "Barney" ~ And more pix
Re: Voltage Regulator [Re: 46Sparky] #1305833 Wed Apr 03 2019 07:38 PM
Justhorsenround Offline
Grease Monkey, Moderator General Truck Talk & Greasy Spoon
47chev, it’s a 6 volt generator taken to a generator shop and the 6 volt guts changed to 12volt. Used to be quite common but now days you can’t find a generator shop. 🛠

Martin
'62 Chevy C-10 Stepside Shortbed (Restomod in progress)
'47 Chevy 3100 5 Window (long term project)
‘65 Chevy Biscayne 4dr 230 I-6 one owner (I’m #2)
‘39 Dodge Businessmans Coupe

"I fought the law and the law won" now I are a retired one!
Support those brave men/women who stand the "Thin Blue Line" and lock up those on the wrong side of that line.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Rusty Rod 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop