The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Work those trucks!

Share what you're up to this summer!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
18 registered members (artinva, Barnfind49, 5ptstar, 5 Window 9434, 52Carl, 1 invisible), 300 guests, and 3 spiders.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums47
Topics116,094
Posts923,065
Members42,329
Most Online940
Apr 5th, 2017
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Power Steering kits for 57 3200 #1305515 Mon Apr 01 2019 01:44 AM
L
lil_coffee Offline OP
New Guy
Hi there,

Been a while for me and I've got a question about power steering conversion kits.
http://www.classicperform.com/NewProducts/2006/NewFiles/Series500.htm

This one (Toyota version)
https://www.parts123.com/parts123/yb.dll?parta~dyndetail~Z5Z5Z50000119c~Z5Z5Z5AADPI~P949.95~~~~S5G717XPP710412222019c~Z5Z5Z5~Z5Z5Z50000119c

Or the Brother's
https://www.brotherstrucks.com/47-59-COMPLETE-POWER-STEERING-CONVERSION-KIT-V8/productinfo/CPSK05

Not trying anything fancy. basically rebuilt suspension and steering parts, and now it's obvious that the steering gear is shot, so I was thinking why not replace it with the toyota version from Golden State. I don't want to change too much as I'm really trying to get the truck able to sell

Thanks for your advice

Attached Files
IMG_0482.JPG (252.65 KB, 95 downloads)
Last edited by lil_coffee; Mon Apr 01 2019 02:09 AM.
Re: Power Steering kits for 57 3200 [Re: lil_coffee] #1305565 Mon Apr 01 2019 03:54 PM
R
rfs56trk Offline
Shop Shark
The current "Toyota" steering box is an aftermarket unit re-designed for these trucks. The original Toyota box mounted to a bracket that mounted to the frame. The current version mounts directly to the frame. The kit should include the drag link, pitman arm, steering shaft flex joint connector, and column bushing (for stock column). You also need a pump, pump mount brackets, hoses, pulley, & belt. It is also a good idea to replace the existing tie rod/tie rod ends with the newer type. The existing column will need to be modified or an aftermarket column can be used. However, It is not a simple bolt in.They work so well you probably won't want to sell it.
Fred

I get my steering conversions from ABS Power Brake in Orange, CA. www.abspowerbrake.com

Re: Power Steering kits for 57 3200 [Re: lil_coffee] #1305581 Mon Apr 01 2019 05:41 PM
L
lil_coffee Offline OP
New Guy
Thank you for the referral. I was hoping not to have to do the engine bay side of the steering column at all. My guess is that means, removal, modification, and re-install. This may be more trouble than just selling the truck to someone else. I hate to sell it after 13 plus years, but I can't have 5 vehicles on my insurance with a 17 year old on my policy. They can never commit to you telling them he will only be driving his own vehicle we have to have coverage for a teen on every vehicle which is $$ prohibitive. We are looking to sell the $57 for $9500 and pay off the note on his Mazda3 high school car. I was going to do the conversion to make it easier to sell, and mark it up by the investment.

The Golden State Parts conversion kits seems pretty complete. I would just need to know about what to do with modifying the steering column to work with the new steering gear. I had the front suspension rebuilt last summer with new tie rod bushings, king pins, etc, and so the truck tracks fine, but for the dead space in the steering gear, and it's not about tightening that little screw on the gear....it's plumb wore out after 60+ years.

Thanks again.

Geoffrey
ggil@texas.net

Re: Power Steering kits for 57 3200 [Re: lil_coffee] #1305745 Tue Apr 02 2019 10:04 PM
R
rfs56trk Offline
Shop Shark
The original steering column and steering box are a complete assembly. In order to use the stock column you would need to cut the outer column tube and the inner shaft to separate them from the steering box. From there you would need to attach an adapter such as a rag joint or universal joint to the end of the shaft to correspond with the spline on the upper shaft of the new box. You would also need a bushing between the tube and the shaft and a bracket to hold the lower end of the assembly to the firewall. You could also purchase a replacement column from a later model vehicle at a wrecking yard or use an aftermarket column.
Fred

Re: Power Steering kits for 57 3200 [Re: lil_coffee] #1305757 Wed Apr 03 2019 12:06 AM
L
lil_coffee Offline OP
New Guy
Thank you so much Fred for helping me make up my mind. I am going to just sell it as it is. I got the AC working by changing out 2 resistors and am going to try to tighten the steering gear. It's just too much where I don't get to keep the payoff.

I sincerely appreciate the candor and good advice.
Geoff

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop