The Stovebolt Page Forums Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop
Helping out ...

EVENTS

Check in for status!

Jump over to the Events Forum, to post events -- new ones or the ones we have been enjoying for some time.
Look to see what's been cancelled or postponed.

Encourage one another!

Stovebolt Site Search

Old Truck Calendars
Months of truck photos!
Nothing like an old truck calendar

Stovebolt Calendars

Check for details!

Who's Online Now
14 members (66rollback, DougH6100, Drew54, ccanepa50, DennisM, 1 invisible), 218 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums50
Topics120,897
Posts969,144
Members43,785
Most Online1,229
Jan 21st, 2020
Image Posting Policy
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Sub-Framing: '58 Apache w/'79 Trans-Am/How is it Done?
#130545 Wed Jun 12 2002 10:26 AM
M
Denise,,, we do hope you are taking pics so you can post the build on the stovebolt site.
Maybe have your own article and truck in a truck mag soon! grin

There is enough good in the worst of us and enough bad in the best of us that it does not behoove any of us to criticize the rest of us.
-
-
Be yourself. If you are ever lost, It will be much easier to find yourself if you know who you are!
#130546 Wed Jun 12 2002 11:08 AM
J
Wannabe, think you need to check out the rear steer Nova subs. They had disc brakes. The steering just takes a little thought. Don't know where you got the idea that the geometry was bad. Now as for the front steer many times the steering box gives problems because of it's being so far forward. I woudn't care for the steering to run through the radiator or the box to stick outside the grille or fender

#130547 Wed Jun 12 2002 12:22 PM
W
Jack- read somewhere that it's all about suspension geometry with the earlier Nova and Camaro and Chevelle clips. Apparently, the roll center made by taking a line through the pivots of upper balljoints and A arm pivots and then the line through lower ball joints and A arm pivots ruts the intersection of these two lines WAY outside of the chassis! This apparently makes them less stable in a corner. You are right, the early Nova, Camaro etc. were available with disc brakes...it's just less common. As for the steering box location, I read an article in an older issue of Custom Classic Trucks-they swapped early Nova clip into a Task Force (1957) Chevy truck. With the front axle centered in the wheelwells, the input shaft of the steering box came up UNDER THE TOEBOARD!! It was about two inches away from where the steering column came down through the firewall. The first column they had installed went through the firewall and out past the box.... They had to switch to a shorter FWD Pontiac Grand Prix column for clearance.

This info is not from personal experience, as I'm not old enough to have driven one of the first generation Camaros or Novas (although we had one of each in the family). I have driven the newer style Camaros and they drive pretty darn good, when they aren't worn out.

Just my $.02-No criticism intended. I'm sure many folks have successfully used the early Camaro or Nova.

Wannabe smile

"Don't expect anything and you'll never be disappointed"
#130548 Wed Jun 12 2002 07:29 PM
D
Denise Offline OP
grin Mechaniac, Oh yeah! I'm thinkin' the same thing! I also plan to watch, listen, learn & take notes too! Then...just maybe...I'll have something to share with the family of motorheads! Instead of crying out for help like a "girl"! Thanx for the encouragement! It will be badass when complete! When will it be "complete" is the question! It will be cruisin' the Vegas valley within a year! The trick paint works will take me a little longer to afford! But...we all are familiar with "California Suede"...aren't we?! That's what my daddie always referred to color primar as! PEACE!

#130549 Wed Jun 12 2002 07:42 PM
D
Denise Offline OP
Jack & Wannabe Advance D;

While the subject of brakes has come up...what's your thoughts about using a (NOT 4x4) Suburban's rear brake assembly/setup?! Friend of ours has used it in his Nash and it's tight! He suggested we consider same for my truck...Thoughts?! PEACE

#130550 Thu Jun 13 2002 01:16 AM
W
Now this is what this place is all about, Denise! Questions brew more questions, good folks helpin' other good folks. My thoughts on the rear brake question start with a question to you-do you already have a rear axle picked out or installed in your truck? The Suburban Axle may possibly present you with width problems, not to mention that the wheel mounting bolt pattern will not match your Firebird clip. My personal opinion would be to use a late seventies Camaro or Firebird rear axle under your bed. Maybe the one under the back of your clip donor car? The width from wheel flange to wheel flange (track width) is very nearly dead on, and you will have a properly matched set of brakes all around. Hope this helps, Denise.

Wannabe smile

#130551 Thu Jun 13 2002 03:30 AM
J
Wannabe, Yes a short fwd column is a very good solution to the problem. It's what I'm running in my rear steer BBC powered coupe. Run heavy duty front and rear sway bars and the car handles like it's on rails. Tracks down the highway with no problems. Never have let it out, but have played with a Porsche at 115+.

#130552 Thu Jun 13 2002 12:05 PM
W
Sounds good, Jack. Just goes to prove that you shouldn't always believe what you read in the magazines...

Hope you didn't think I was criticizing-I just wanted to share what I had read in hopes of helping Denise. Anything to help out someone whose "cutting up another one" as the restorers would say.

Wannabe smile

#130553 Fri Jun 14 2002 03:48 AM
J
Wannabe, nope didn't take it that way at all. Know what you mean about not believing everything you read.

#130554 Wed Jun 26 2002 03:16 PM
D
Denise Offline OP
wink Wanna B Advance D & Jack,

You guys are 2 cool! You'll never believe this...but...I asked a question about brakes thinking only of what Phill (My Nash Buddy!) had suggested...& "Being me"!, I never stopped first to think about the fact that my trucks rear-end has already been tubbed and has already had a late 70's Camaro rear axel put in prior to my buying it! :o Guess who "matter of factly" reminded me?! :rolleyes: My ol' man of course! He's not polite like you guys have been! Down right abbrassive at times! wink He's a keeper for sure! Thanx again for the superb advise...I appreciate it lots! grin

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  KCMongo 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Home | FAQ | Forum | Swap Meet | Gallery | Tech Tips | Events | Features | Search | Hoo-Ya Shop